Winston Reid

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

szola

Re: Winston Reid

Post by szola » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 am

Winston Reid's recorded injuries:

18/19 - Knee Injury
17/18 - Knee Injury - 342 days
17/18 - Groin strain - 23 days
17/18 - Calf Strain - 23 days
16/17 - Adductor problems - 33 days
15/16 - Hamstring Injury - 33 days
15/16 - Hamstring Injury - 27 days
15/16 - Hip problems - 35 days
14/15 - Thigh Muscle Strain - 21 days
14/15 - Hamstring Injury - 31 days
14/15 - Hamstring Injury - 22 days
13/14 - Sprained Ankle - 85 days

He'll never become our first or second choice defender. Is he too expensive to be sitting on the bench, or would he want to?

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 am

As much as I think he has been a great servant for this club, I would be doing everything possible to shift him in the summer. He's taking up too much wages and will only get injured again. I would even go as far as trying to come to an agreement to pay up his contract just to get him off the books. Harsh or not.

Yes it will cost money, but think of the wages we save in the long run.

I reckon though we will be stupid enough to try and get him back in the summer and will be used as an excuse not to sign another new centre half in the summer. The club will deem: Diop, Balbuena, Ogbonna (liability) and Reid (injury prone) to be enough for next season.

''He's like a new signing blah blah''.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 am

....and his reward for this extended absence, a new 6 year deal. Only another 4 to go

61dicksey

Post by 61dicksey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am

Puff Daddy wrote:....and his reward for this extended absence, a new 6 year deal. Only another 4 to go

Sods law isn’t it? He gets his longest injury just after the new contract , up until then his injuries were reasonably quick to mend.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:24 am

61dicksey wrote:

Sods law isn’t it? He gets his longest injury just after the new contract , up until then his injuries were reasonably quick to mend.
Looking a that list though, he seems to average 3 major injuries per season

wivenhoetim

Post by wivenhoetim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am

Short of an amputation, I’m struggling to understand what type of injury keeps somebody out for quite so long !
Baffling in the extreme.

SoulCircus

Post by SoulCircus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 am

Found this on the OS from mid-October:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -continues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Physioroom has him out for the season with no return date.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am

wivenhoetim wrote:Short of an amputation, I’m struggling to understand what type of injury keeps somebody out for quite so long !
Baffling in the extreme.

Know exact what you mean. I keep thinking of Jack Wilshere's ankle injury too and can't help thinking about Harry Kane's. He has been out for just a month and will be returning next weekend

wivenhoetim

Post by wivenhoetim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:55 am

SoulCircus wrote:Found this on the OS from mid-October:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -continues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers SC. Just seems to have gone on forever wth no end in sight, In itself that update was 4 months ago and still no notion of a return date. ‘‘Tis what it is I guess, but there’s a part of me that wonders whether we’ll ever see him again! Really hope I’m wrong.. The whole saga is made worse by our chronic shortage of CBS currently ....

S-H

Post by S-H » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am

SoulCircus wrote:Found this on the OS from mid-October:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -continues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without wishing to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but these long term injury lay-offs, make me suspicious, especially when very little is mentioned.
Last edited by S-H on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

szola

Post by szola » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 am

That might be the case with other players.... so it's not that long stretch to wonder if that is the case in Reid's case.

wivenhoetim

Post by wivenhoetim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:09 am

Know exact what you mean. I keep thinking of Jack Wilshere's ankle injury too and can't help thinking about Harry Kane's. He has been out for just a month and will be returning next weekend[/quote]

I’m no sensationalist Puff but I make you right. Something not right here, club could do a lot worse than give us an update to put any conspiracy theories to bed.

SoulCircus

Post by SoulCircus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am

Had a bit more of a dig and Pellegrini said this about Winston in the presser before Wimbledon: '"He's eight weeks down the line from his surgery and making good progress."

https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... s-15710341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Sam Inkersole on Twitter said Reid would be back in light training at the end of the month, according to Pellegrini:

https://www.hammers.news/injury-news/sh ... ans-react/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not much to go on, and I share the reservations of many, I fear we may never see him play for the club again.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 am

Reid suffered a terrible terrible injury at Swansea. It took them ages to get him from the pitch.

Sometimes, just like Dev's v Wigan all those years ago, you know it's a really bad one.

Click at 17.40 - the more you see it, the more excruciatingly painful it looks.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mushy

Post by mushy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 am

Done his knee ligaments and had them operated on twice (I think).
Always a long road back from that.
I love conspiracy theories, but this ban stuff, what exactly do you lot think he has done to deserve a years ban?
Last edited by mushy on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

wivenhoetim

Post by wivenhoetim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:41 am

mushy wrote:Done his knee ligaments and had them operated on twice (I think).
Always a long road back from that.
I love conspiracy theories, but this ban stuff, what exactly do you lot think he has done to deserve a years ban?

Mushy, no theory from me, but when you look at Lanzinis injury and rehabilitation from a similar? injury ..well documented and back in a couple of weeks, I think it’s fair to raise the question..

the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Post by the pink palermo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 am

A polite reminder to posters

You are personally liable for anything you write on here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mushy

Post by mushy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

wivenhoetim wrote:
Mushy, no theory from me, but when you look at Lanzinis injury and rehabilitation from a similar? injury ..well documented and back in a couple of weeks, I think it’s fair to raise the question..
Wivenhoe,
You have made assumptions that its a similar injury I think, or do you know different?
There are many flavours of knee ligament damage and the type of treatment and rehab times vary considerably.
Its fine to raise questions, and I know full well it leads to idle speculation, but thats all it is really isnt it?

sutts07

Post by sutts07 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

mushy wrote: I love conspiracy theories, but this ban stuff, what exactly do you lot think he has done to deserve a years ban?
It is obvious what the conspiracy theories are based around isn't it? There are not many things that carry a 12 month ban in the game of football.

No proof or any hint of truth in them at all of course... but considering him and Andy Carroll are such close pals, Andy has a reputation and they both came home from the same pre-season trip with injuries that no one saw happen...

There were totally unsubstantiated rumours at the time that they had both broken a curfew, been out partying (no suggestion that it was anything other than booze) and injured themselves trying to climb back into the hotel.

The conspiracy is surely fair game... Absolute nonsense... but fair game.
Last edited by sutts07 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 am

SoulCircus wrote:Had a bit more of a dig...
You missed this rather closer to home: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133255

(Lanzini's imminent return, as cited above, was confirmed by WHUFC 48 hours later.)