Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Re: Carroll thread.

Post by prophet:marginal »

I wasn't at the game - and, even with hindsight being a wonderful thing, doubt I'd have sung that song - but, in fairness to those that did, perhaps they were unable to tell that he was injured.

The 'funny' thing, in a match on which little if anything rode for us, is that he carried on as if nothing had happened. And hasn't kicked a ball since.

Quite a few unusual twists to the story, when you think about it.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Limehouse wrote:What I find 'funny' about the Carroll situation is the number of people - speaking generally PP - who are quite prepared to heap blame on the 2 Daves and BFS for signing him while seemingly forgetting the repeated and loud choruses of "Andy Carroll - we want you to stay" at the Reading game. Strange that.

The threads on here had we walked away from Carroll after that would have been vitriolic. 'Fake injury', 'No ambition', 'Skinflint Daves' threads a plenty for sure.

Not turned out well for anybody yet.
I just came on this thread to make exact same point.

The same people moaning about him bit play are probably the same ones who we're sucking him off on the last day of the season.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote:I wasn't at the game - and, even with hindsight being a wonderful thing, doubt I'd have sung that song - but, in fairness to those that did, perhaps they were unable to tell that he was injured.

The 'funny' thing, in a match on which little if anything rode for us, is that he carried on as if nothing had happened. And hasn't kicked a ball since.

Quite a few unusual twists to the story, when you think about it.
I was at the Reading game and saw no sign of injury, but some inuries do come on when you stiffen up after a game.

I was also quite happy singing "that" song and didn't consider it "sucking him off", at the time I think most people were like myself and thought it unlikely he would stay.

As said though, there are plenty of people who would have been slagging the Dave's and Sam off if we hadn't signed him and are now slagging them off; however some of the criticism is justified as the statements at the time were that we would sign another striker and most people could see we needed at least one other - and that is not with hindsight. Plenty of people, like myself, have been banging on about the lack of goals scored for a while now.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Limehouse wrote:What I find 'funny' about the Carroll situation is the number of people - speaking generally PP - who are quite prepared to heap blame on the 2 Daves and BFS for signing him while seemingly forgetting the repeated and loud choruses of "Andy Carroll - we want you to stay" at the Reading game. Strange that.
I don't think it's a matter of blame for the signing. He's on a 6 year contract, he's hardly walking away when he gets fit although I suppose it could be deemed particularly unwise if he's getting paid top whack to be injured.

The effects of adhering to FFP put an interesting new importance on controlling the wage bill at a cost to other budget elements. Nobody thinks Maiga is good enough any more, so we need to shift him to free up options and it now seems doing that at virtually any cost would be worth it. Let him go on a free. Pay someone to take him.

There are rules affecting overall losses, but from memory I believe you can inject cash as long as it's equity with no strings attached. There's a test for your businessman's genuine good will.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

It's not a good comparison though.

Had people known how much he would cost, a few of those people would have reconsidered. Had they known how little would be left to improve the rest of the team after his signing, plenty more would have dropped off. And I'm certain had people known at that time he would be going into the season with yet another injury that would keep him out for the first month, a hell of a lot of people would have thought 'hey, that's one injury too many given he's already been out for most of this season - think we should probably steer clear at that price'. And that's not even mentioning the plan to do without any more strikers to cover this injury.

Allardyce and the owners have all this information when they make a decision; people at a game for 90 mins at the end of a good season do not. They can't possibly be blamed in the same way
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

West Ham United FC ‏@whufc_official 7m

SA: "We hope Andy will be back with us to start some training next week."
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:Please excuse my ignorance
Asking a bit much there I think.... 8-)
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

EastLondonHammer wrote:West Ham United FC ‏@whufc_official 7m

Lets hope he's more fit than Carlton eh?

The blokes a bonus this season to be honest.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

The threads on here had we walked away from Carroll after that would have been vitriolic. 'Fake injury', 'No ambition', 'Skinflint Daves' threads a plenty for sure.

Not turned out well for anybody yet.
It's not that strange people singing to a fit footballer that has played well in the past 8 or so games to stay at a club.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: It's not that strange people singing to a fit footballer that has played well in the past 8 or so games to stay at a club.
Indeed and how are people to know whether there is a major problem with injury or not anyway, that is up to the club.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

EastLondonHammer wrote:West Ham United FC ‏@whufc_official 7m

I think the key word here is 'hope'. The next key word is 'some'.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:I think the key word here is 'hope'. The next key word is 'some'.
Also... Doesn't actually say which Andy.
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

I like Andy, I rate him as a player, the lads a workhorse and when he plays the whole team play better. I'm pleased we signed him although 15mil is excessive, i'd have been happy to nab him for 10 personally.

Obviously no team can predict injuries that players suffer with, although I do feel that if we'd signed a striker in September who can actually nab a goal, Andy wouldn't be suffering half of this abuse as much.

If Sam and the Daves had signed a decent striker to replace Andy while his injured, no-one would be criticising Andy as all out focuses would be on the player whose currently getting our goals.

People are forgetting how good Andy is on his day.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Fishbone

Post by Fishbone »

PrawnSandwich wrote:
Lets hope he's more fit than Carlton eh?

The blokes a bonus this season to be honest.
Carlton is fit and raring to go. It is upto management whether they want to play him though.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Fishbone wrote: Carlton is fit and raring to go. It is upto management whether they want to play him though.
Not when he first came back apparently... which is why it has taken a while.
That was my point with regards to the Carroll situation.
Returning to training next week means f*** all if he has a month or more ahead of him in 'preseason'.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Really hope he can get fit as soon as. I can just see him breaking down again.
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 877 likes

Post by mushy »

He can do all the so called training he likes.
The key here is when he is able to kick a ball.
No sign of that yet I assume.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

The only thing we can say at the moment is that SA and SuGold got their risk calculation wrong in August. And that may well have been [partly] due to a medical examination which suggested AC would not have had this trouble. Life's full of risks - you can't make a decision without taking one.

We'll only really be able to judge all this with hindsight. If AC is out all season, or so much of it and we go down, it's a catastrophe. Anything involving us staying up is not. And in three years time who knows? AC is not just the best of his type in the UK he's one of the best in the world. A Morrison with the freedom created by the space Carroll generates and we might even this season - if he's back - see some fantastic play.

If we can stay in touch and Carroll comes back early enough we're OK. We may yet be OK anyway [perhaps with a striker brought in in January]. But I've heard this is a funny injury, more often suffered by ballet dancers ( !! ) which takes time and rest to resolve, but that time is indeterminate. Hence the problem giving a clear date for his return. Once recovered though, it shouldn't recur.

Mind, I still can't see why 10 outfield players, paid more than 30K a week, training most days, and supposedly with high skill levels, can't summon a goal between them [or hardly summon]. Maybe we should be wondering exactly what these guys are being paid for, rather than bnemoaning Carroll's injury or Allardyce's decisions
bobo

Post by bobo »

mushy wrote:He can do all the so called training he likes.
The key here is when he is able to kick a ball.
No sign of that yet I assume.

I think it's more jumping up for headers that may be the problem, we'll have to see I guess.

Common injury with Basketball players but they come back and play again!