Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DasNutNock

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by DasNutNock »

Keane was clearly good at intimidating players, but he usually had the officials backing him due to the hold Man U have over everything. Would he have been given so much space to operate if he'd been ours? Arguably not.

Nolan is the best we've had in recent years at "managing" affairs to our advantage, and he did it without being spiteful or violent. Really good at manipulating the officials without annoying them unduly.

AC, as you & Bubba rightly say, gives us an advantage that's difficult to quantify, but you can sense it before the ball is kicked off. The oppo defence knows they'll be in for a long day, and that they're going to have to concentrate for 90 minutes or they're getting turned over. Doubling up on him is no guarantee of preventing him from getting his head to the ball, and that frees up space for our other attackers. He's also an obvious fan favourite, which gives the crowd a big lift, which gives the team a big lift.

Let's just pray we can keep Andy in good health for an extended run. It's clear that when he's fit and playing well, we play well, and he's instrumental to us setting up in our best formations.
Last edited by DasNutNock on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Andy Carroll takes the pressure off of those around them, allowing them to get on with their jobs more efficiently and effectively, Simone Zaza couldn't do that.

If Carroll hadn't returned we'd still be in the bottom three, we're now mid table and in with a realistic shout of a top 7/8 finish.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

I make no apology for saying I love watching Big Andy playing, just like I loved watching (Psycho) David Cross playing when I was younger.
Just need our wingers & creative players to start supplying him with the right ammunition & he'll get us the results.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

If only he could play every week eh ?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Jumby wrote:
If Carroll hadn't returned we'd still be in the bottom three, we're now mid table and in with a realistic shout of a top 7/8 finish.
We have beaten the two worst away teams in the division and a team that had conceded 29 goals in about 8 games. I think we woukd be well clear of the bottom 3 regardless. It is not as though he was much use in the first two games anyway.

as I said, nice to see him involved, but let's see how he does against better defences, over a longer period, before we start making out he is the saviour
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Jumby wrote: If Carroll hadn't returned we'd still be in the bottom three, we're now mid table and in with a realistic shout of a top 7/8 finish.
I see a lot of people being rather generous suggesting Carroll is responsible for our sudden up turn in form (or should I say results) . He has obviously played his part but he is only partly responsible and let's be honest he did very little against Burnley and Hull.

Carroll isn't our saviour, but he is a decent striker which is something we've missed all season.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by Croydon »

Sell him if we get a decent bid in January. Too big a liability considering his weekly wage, contract length and poor injury form.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Croydon wrote:Sell him if we get a decent bid in January. Too big a liability considering his weekly wage, contract length and poor injury form.
Oh Jaybs has a new account
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
as I said, nice to see him involved, but let's see how he does against better defences, over a longer period, before we start making out he is the saviour
"longer period" and "Andy Carroll" don't really go together too well unfortunately.

Agree though. Impressive vs Swansea but almost everyone will have a tougher defence
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Before Carroll came back we had nothing up top and never really looked like scoring, teams had nothing to have to think about. I'm not saying he's Messi but I think his presence has been a big help, I don't think we'd have 10 points from the last 12 if he was still unfit.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Now that they have taken the cotton wool off, we're starting to see him to better effect. We know what he can do and with players working off him and playing to his strengths, we could see a revival...he took his goal with confidence, there's a spark there. Next game will tell us more.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

When he initially arrived on loan he transformed the team. It was the fat Slags team then of course...but at the time I've never wanted us to sign a player more...he made that much difference.

Still a massive player for us but I agree as soon as we get the chance for our money back he will be sold.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Since he's been here he's played 86 times, so he averages about 50% of our games a season. I like him but those stats are simply not good enough. I'd love him to stay fit for the remainder of the year but you just know he will break down at some point. Good player but unrealiable.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Carroll scored against Liverpool, Southampton, Chelsea and Arsenal last year among others. In previous years it's been Man City and Spurs for us.

His issue is entirely fitness and nothing to do with the quality of opposition defences.

If anything, he has a harder time against the agricultural no-hopers.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Very true Bubbles
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

bubbles1966 wrote:Carroll scored against Liverpool, Southampton, Chelsea and Arsenal last year among others. In previous years it's been Man City and Spurs for us.

His issue is entirely fitness and nothing to do with the quality of opposition defences.

If anything, he has a harder time against the agricultural no-hopers.
10 minute hat-tricks against Arsenal don't grow on trees. Only a handful of humans are capable of that, and we have one of them on our team.
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 92 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

For me, unless we receive an out of this world offer (£30m plus) I'd keep him. He is a great option, though his injuries continue to be a concern. There are very few strikers in world football that are as unplayable in the air.

However, he mustn't be our only option, and with Sakho injured, Ayew away, Fletcher and Martinez a bit green and the dross that is Calleri & Zaza being shipped out, we have to obtain at least one other decent striker this January.

If / when he breaks down again, as things stand we have little else to offer up front, unless Antonio plays there again.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I think the bigger issue is that unless AC or Sakho are playing up front, the rest of the team has zero confidence in anyone else. If Zaza or Fletcher are there, the other players are more or less in a different post code, because they don't believe the ball will 'stick' once it's played up to them.

You could see against Swansea that Ayew and Antonio would wait for the second ball, 'cos there's every chance that AC would get his swede on it. When Zaza's up front, everyone stays in our half 'cos they know the ball's coming straight back.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by Croydon »

Metal Hammer wrote:
Oh Jaybs has a new account
Not sure who Jaybs is, but as you can see I've been here for quite a while.

I take it you disagree. Based on what may I ask?
kingvikingstad

Post by kingvikingstad »

AC occupies a lot of space and is very adept at pulling CBs and CDMs in his direction. While he's no saviour, he IS miles forward from who we've had to watch play in the striker position thus far this season. And until that's fixed, he will be very valuable to us. I bet Bilic is chuffed to write him onto the team sheet for as long as he's healthy (which is the problem).