Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote:So, how did he play? Genuinely interested.
He lacks a bit of tempo and intensity, but he's had no pre-season nor practice/reserve games. He's having to work himself to fitness in PL games - he's way below what he should be in that sense.

He did make a difference though - he won plenty in the air, his hold up play was good, link play okay - and got an extremely good reception from the crowd.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

StackerJJ wrote:Did okay but sticks out like a sore thumb and will never fit in Pellegrinis system I don't think.
Were we're 1-0 down when he came on and ran out 3-2 winners. Not saying it was entirely down to him by any stretch of the imagination, but it can't be a coincidence can it?

If that's not fitting in, then I hope he never fits in :)
Phil S
Has liked: 455 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

and that tackle on Zaha at the end

superb stuff
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1317 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

If anything he looks even slower than he ever has. But yeah, can’t complain, he’s come on, made a difference, we’ve won the game.

If somehow Pellegrini works his magic and gets something extra from him it’ll be a marvellous bonus.
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Looking at his fitness level today he's good for 15 mins max. Very one paced.
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 975 likes

Post by e17 »

Kialos wrote:Looking at his fitness level today he's good for 15 mins max. Very one paced.
Yep. As usual Kialos is spot on.

He did alright for us in his cameo today, but nothing that justifies him starting against Fulham
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

Oh times have changed now he isnt the talisman striker that we rely on where the entire focus being hoping when he would be fit.

Be really interesting to see how Andy does form wise. I just have a sneaky suspicion that now there isn’t any pressure on him (well maybe as cover) and we don’t really need him, he’s gonna end up having a blinder of a second half of the season.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

AC certainly had a bigger influence in the second half than Perez did in the first half.
Won the free kick in which Hernandez scored from to make it 2-1
His hold up play was impressive, especially considering he is nowhere near fully match fit.
All in all, I think he did well in his 45 minute run out.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

Changed the game for us, I thought he was superb.

I think Hernandez will strive playing off of him
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote:AC certainly had a bigger influence in the second half than Perez did in the first half.
His hold up play was impressive, especially considering he is nowhere near fully match fit.
Agree with all that - there's room enough for Andy Carroll in this squad of ours .
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

did well when he came on. offered us a physical presence and occupied Tomkins and sakho much better than perez.

a good sub to have.
BR7 Hammer

Post by BR7 Hammer »

I share the view he doesn't fit our system, I think his lack of pace was the only reason palace were able to apply the small bit of pressure they did at 3-2, for my money with someone mobile we would have nicked a 4th, still a good player for the right set-up we are no longer it
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

Definitely can play a role coming off the bench got us and occasionally starting against carefully selected opposition.

He may want to start every week but I think we have stuck by him through a fair few injuries so he will be willing to do what the gaffer asks.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1080 likes
Total likes: 1393 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote:AC certainly had a bigger influence in the second half than Perez did in the first half.
Agreed

Tomkins couldnt handle him at times despite him looking half fit
ukchrish
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ukchrish »

Upminster Hammer wrote:Changed the game for us, I thought he was superb.
That's how I saw it. They had no idea how to handle him.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I wonder whether Carroll has reached the point where he accepts his body will never be up to 30 starts a season, and would prefer 25-30 games at 25-45 minutes compared to 12-15 games of 60 minutes?

I think having him available for a part of 25-30 games is probably more beneficial to the team and to his availability than a dozen starts.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

BR7 Hammer wrote:I share the view he doesn't fit our system, I think his lack of pace was the only reason palace were able to apply the small bit of pressure they did at 3-2, for my money with someone mobile we would have nicked a 4th, still a good player for the right set-up we are no longer it
Yet we scored 3 goals when he came on and he held the ball up far, far better than Perez.

Personally, I think it's a myth about AC forcing his teams to play a certain way. He offers a diferent outlet certainly, but I think he can be utilised very effectively by those around him without dictating play.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think we scored three in the second half simply because the players came back out and played better. As Pellegrini said, they weren't relaxed enough first half and were attempting to play too quick. Carroll did ok but he also looked slow and had difficulty keeping up with play at times.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

bubbles1966 wrote:I think having him available for a part of 25-30 games is about as likely as West Ham winning the Double this season.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I like Perez and was delighted with his brace midweek however if I'm a centre half and I'm looking at who I'm facing today, I'd much rather face Chicha and Perez than Chicha and Carroll. Even a semi fit Carroll gives us something different and something neither Chicha or Perez can offer.