Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by monkeyhanger »

I wonder if England managers come under pressure from the FA to pick players from the big name clubs to ensure higher viewing figures and revenue streams. Wouldn't surprise me in this corporatised age.

I otherwise can't think what Noble has done wrong since his under 21 England captain days apart from the odd rash challenge, mis-placed pass and crap corners.

Anyway, I don't understand why it hasn't been a written FA law over the last 50 years that an England team has to have at least three West Ham players in it if it's ever going to win anything. :)
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Let's be honest here, on the balance of Nobles form over the years and the number of p,ayers given a go in front of him, he deserves to have had a call up by now.

Of that there is no doubt. There's been some truly bang average players in front of him over the years.

That said, Noble being in the England squad is unlikely to be the difference when it comes to England winning the Euros. Hodgson knows this. He likes players like Wilshere, despite the injuries, because he knows on his day he is a top quality player and can do things that, sadly, Noble cannot.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

carnage wrote:There are obvious exceptions Luke, but you were talking about a team bottom of the Leage. All 3 of those Clubs will finish above us this season.

I think thats a massive call. I think just one of those has a real chance of finishing above us. It really wouldn't surprise me to see us finish above of 3.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

sendô wrote:He likes players like Wilshere, despite the injuries, because he knows on his day he is a top quality player and can do things that, sadly, Noble cannot.
I get that point but it gets shot down to smithereens by the fact that Woy gave Wilshere some Andrea Pirlo footage to watch and said 'play like him!' :lol:

the likes of Jake Livermore, Tom Cleverly, Tom Huddlestone, Phil Jones, Gareth Barry, Leon Osman, Ryan Mason and Jack Colback have played for England in central midfield, ahead of Mark Noble, since Woy took over and for me that is just ridiculous.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend ?

Post by Morocco Mole »

beckton wrote:Some of his passes in the first half today were Pirlo-esque.
Superb range of passing yesterday. Some proper beauties. :thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I particularly liked his first time forward pass under pressure that cut open their defence for Antonio to run on too without breaking stride.

It's a shame there isn't a compilation of some of his best work as it may surprise some of his doubters just what skill he actually has on the ball.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

I think you're all missing something here. Even if Noble was called up and played. Hodgson would play him as a DM. Not the Box to Box role that Bilic now has him playing (and playing well! - don't look so surprised!).

So be careful what you wish for. He's better off being a member of the 'best players never to be capped' club than have to stifle his game to fit in with that old codger's playstyle, and probably never play again.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

I'm sure Noble would rather play the DM and win a cap for England than be known as "one of England's best uncapped midfielders".
pigiron

Post by pigiron »

Woy likes Spurs because if Levy hadn't of scuppered 'Arry's England job prospects he'd be out of work.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Noble is to good for England, simples.
Colours never run

pharaoh wrote:I'm sure Noble would rather play the DM and win a cap for England than be known as "one of England's best uncapped midfielders".

Precisely, Pharaoh.

I think Hodgson should just put everyone out of their misery, neutral or otherwise and just give him one cap. It would then stop everyone banging on about it and he can show everyone why he thinks Noble really isn't any good anyway. To continue overlooking him when it's clearly justified but not always, is just acting pig stubborn. Most people can now see it, he's one of the few remaining with no good reason not to include him anymore.
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

He's been at another level for the last two months. His distribution and accuracy on switching sides of the field has been impressive to see. Hitting people on the move like an NFL quarterback.
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

In my opinion he should have been capped a long time ago. He captained England U21s to a final, hes a gentleman who has never been in the papers for the wrong reasons, hes loyal and above all, hes a very good midfielder. I could understand if he had people like Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes in front of him but Roys even resorted to playing Phil Jones there before!!
Douthy
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 128 likes

Post by Douthy »

It all feels a bit Scott Parker esque to me, maybe when Noble gets a shot he'll get a year in the side like him?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Maybe it's because he doesn't run around like a nutter and shout and point non stop all game, maybe that's why he doesn't get the call. Milner and co have a habit of making the very simplest of things look all dramatic, arms flying around, body moving around the ball unnecessarily, whilst our boy just likes to take a touch, look up and pick his pass, usually a forward pass that moves us up the field nicely. Fans love a nutter, they love a player that runs around like crazy, don't mark your man, stand off him so you have to run after him, that kind of thing, who needs positional awareness and standing block tackles when you can chase after them and perform a hero slide tackle? I really do think that players that play in a way that makes sometimes complicated things look simple are hampered in this country, Hoddle was an absolute genius from what I've seen, read and heard but he didn't get anywhere near the 100+ caps he should have got.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

^^^ Very good point Jumby, it criminal how few England Caps Hoddle & Brookings got compared to some other players. :thup:
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Bonzo was laso largely overlooked seems the blinkers go on when West Ham are producing great players as we have over the years , perhaps the old farts are some kind of masonic sect "the anti West Ham society" f*** 'em .Noble really should have figured in Woys plans even if it were for the squad involvement.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

lukeWHU wrote:Scott Parker was one of the best midfielders in the league the year we got relegated. It was only when he went to Spurs the following season that he started getting England caps.
This is not true.

Parker played against Denmark, Wales & Switzerland in 2011 prior to leaving West Ham.
RandomRover

Post by RandomRover »

There is something to be said about having a core England squad and not rocking the boat too much every time there is a dip in form or injury but some of the regulars haven't even been playing regularly for their club and you need regular football to perform at international tournament level. The stats say Noble is worthy of an England call up, as do many pundits but for the man in charge, he obvioulsy doesn't rate Noble enough. What I don't get is why doesn't Roy just give Noble a token call up for a friendly, if only to recognize how well he's been playing and celebrate that he's an old school one-club man. Is that too much to ask?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

RandomRover wrote:What I don't get is why doesn't Roy just give Noble a token call up for a friendly, if only to recognize how well he's been playing and celebrate that he's an old school one-club man. Is that too much to ask?
That's not the England manager's job.

Roy is there to get the England team performing as best it can at major tournaments. The time he gets to do that is at an absolute premium. He gets his squad together for a week every couple of months and he has to use this time as best he can.

He is not there to give players a pat on the back for doing their job.