Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by brooking1966 »

Longaz wrote:I don't think any West Ham fan hates him. I understand the love for the man, he's spent he's entire career with us, is a local lad and on he's day a very capable player. But imo he is overrated by many of us and gets praised for things that others don't. And that's one of the reasons some feel a need to balance it out. Yeah sometimes he's criticised harshly but not half as much as he receives plaudits for basic stuff. If he plays majority of games this season it can only mean Wilshere' s injury curse has continued.
Exactly, I post many times I don't hate him as a person, yet the wombles insist i do, like they are me and Wimbledon common lol. Everyone wants a villain i guess (pack mentality) funny thing is it's the same 100 000 post a day core group.

It's simples, I comment on his specific flaws on the pitch, they say I hate him as a person, then talk sentiment 15yrs lovely man stuff. When I just think he's a bang average player on the pitch & explain in detail why (idon't think they even read the points lol.

He doesn't galvanise the team as capt. when the chips are down. They even say 'he only plays well when everyone else does' :P To me they have cornered themselves into believing he's the homegrown Messiah. I feel sad for those young fans getting brainwashed that he represents a Legend, because it's a very low bar indeed. Shall we all call Brooking, Devonshire, Moore, Bonds Legends or find another word kmt & smh?
Patito

Post by Patito »

brooking1966 wrote: It's simples, I comment on his specific flaws on the pitch, they say I hate him as a person, then talk sentiment 15yrs lovely man stuff. When I just think he's a bang average player on the pitch & explain in detail why (idon't think they even read the points lol.

He doesn't galvanise the team as capt. when the chips are down. They even say 'he only plays well when everyone else does' :P To me they have cornered themselves into believing he's the homegrown Messiah. I feel sad for those young fans getting brainwashed that he represents a Legend, because it's a very low bar indeed. Shall we all call Brooking, Devonshire, Moore, Bonds Legends or find another word kmt & smh?
It can't be that 'simples' because you still don't get what most posters have been saying.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Mark Noble is a middling premier league football player who spent his entire career at one middling football club. At his best he is intelligent, hardworking and a decent passer of the ball. At his worst he is slow, prone to rash tackles and lacks cutting edge. Few would regard him amongst the most skilful players to have graced our jersey, but none would argue that he is anything but amongst the best servants the club has ever had. History shall deem his biggest achievement to be the upholding of loyalty, an old fashion virtue that is rapidly disappearing from the game.

For this alone he is deservedly a club legend.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ding gets it

:thup:
Pop Robson
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend ?

Post by Pop Robson »

Pop Robson wrote: Postby Pop Robson on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 am

10 years since his debut and he still here

Last player to walk home after a game

Never on the front pages

Over 300 first appearances

3rd behind Dicks and Stewart in the Penalties scored
Blimey he's still here !! 5yrs later who'd have thought it

15 years since his debut

Over 400 first team appearances, a couple more and he makes it into the all time top 10 player appearances

2nd behind the uncatchable Ray Stewart in Penalties scored

Funny old game :scarfer:
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

You still don't get it :thup:

It's an embarrassment seeing many rewriting/belittling our proud history with the power of social media. Desperately seeking Susan, well news flash, Susan ain't good enough, although she was in my dreams.

Why aren't these guys Legends? All better players than MN, but never called Legends smh.

Geoff Pike
Alvin Martin
Ray Stewart
Frank Lamp snr
Phil Parkes
Tony Cottee
Frankie Mac
Julian Dicks
Pat Holland
Pop Robson
Clyde Best
Mervyn Day
Alan Taylor

Blasphemy! I just don't understand how any true fan calls an average player a Legend, it dilutes the memory of our true Legends, of which we have many:
Moore
Bonds
Hurst
Peters
Brooking
Devonshire
John Lyall

Great club servant, but never a Legend no matter how you manipulate or spin it! Being starved of success since the 80's doesn't mean we have to demean, spin, or lower the bar of what WHU a Football Legend truly means! Please don't flush our rich history down the loo by lowering the bar to just appearances.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

brooking1966 wrote:
Why aren't these guys Legends? All better players than MN, but never called Legends smh.

Geoff Pike
Alvin Martin
Ray Stewart
Frank Lamp snr
Phil Parkes
Tony Cottee
Frankie Mac
Julian Dicks
Pat Holland
Pop Robson
Clyde Best
Mervyn Day
Alan Taylor

:?

Pretty much most of them are in their own right with their valuable contribution to our Club one way or another. I wouldn't get so hung up on the term 'Legend' in the game if I was you. And Nobles name will comfortably join them.

To think, he'll make the top 10 appearances soon for WHU, whilst playing predominantly in the Premier League era against arguably the quickest, most skillful generation of all at the heart of our Team more than holding his own under 8 full time WHU Managers to this day as Captain still going strong. That's should tell us everything. Not bad for someone who hasn't 'got any legs'.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

kayahammer wrote:He's survived countless managers, didn't turn his back when we went down, and I was so happy he finally got to be club captain.

Whatever anyone thinks of his ability, he is a top class professional who deserves any and all accolades.

And despite articles saying he'll warm the bench this year, he'll still be ready and available when called upon, and won't sulk or moan.

He'll bide his time till Wiltshire gets injured, then he'll do his job in the middle without fuss, charging into challenges, picking 40 yard passes, and banging in the odd goal.

I'll be a tad upset when he retires.

Sums things up nicely , Kaya . :thup:

I love reading the differing opinions on here , it's what makes it a Forum after all , if we were all of the same thought it'd be a boring place undoubtedly .

What amazes me most about Mark Noble still is the amount of running he does in a match , even at 32 he covers more ground than most and I do honestly feel that when Noble plays well so does the team [ and not the other way around as I've read on here ] .
My old mate The Collector who goes to every home game tells me that Noble is a huge influence on Declan Rice's game , if Mark is out injured Declan's game suffers - anyone else noticed that ?
Players look to a Captain especially when things aren't going well , if the Captain is giving his all the rest are more inclined to follow and this is what Mark Noble gives us .

We'll miss him when he's gone .
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

But just in case there's still a doubt, here's a clear definition of what a Legend is..

Collins Dictionary definition

If you refer to someone as a legend, you mean that they are very famous and admired by a lot of people.

Yep, sure sounds like Noble to me. 8-)
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

[quote="brooking1966"]

Geoff Pike
Alvin Martin
Ray Stewart
Frank Lamp snr
Phil Parkes
Tony Cottee
Frankie Mac
Julian Dicks
Pat Holland
Pop Robson
Clyde Best
Mervyn Day
Alan Taylor

Colours never run:
Pretty much most of them are in their own right with their valuable contribution to our Club one way or another. I wouldn't get so hung up on the term 'Legend' in the game if I was you. And Nobles name will comfortably join them.
If you refer to someone as a legend, you mean that they are very famous and admired by a lot of people.

CNR Are the above list Legends like MN? If so how come the have never been called it?

Your Collins Dictionary says 'very famous' is Noble? Not very imo

If your standard for 'very famous' is Noble what does that make the likes of Moore, Brooking, Hurst, Bonds?

If we want to name a stand why not ' The Boleyn Stand' a valid memory of our past glory, which represents all our past players who played there? :scarfer:
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

With respect Brooking, how old are you?

I never had the luck to see any of the players you list play, so who is a West Ham legend to me?

Well it's the player that's been playing for nearly as long as I've been watching, the constant in an ever changing side that's suffered multiple setbacks, relegations, manager sackings, the Tevez saga, 3 sets of owners.

For most people under the age of 30 we never saw Bonds play, and in the modern era a one club man that has given ss much as Noble had, has to be considered a legend.
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

Fair enough jack, I'm 52 when we won the WC & saw Bonds, Brooking, Devo, Stewart, Dicks, Di Canio etc.. , my kids 5 of which are now in their 20's know all the great players & Noble defo isn't one of them. When he was U21 Capt. he was looking like he could become great, but 10yrs later he hasn't & thats nobodies fault. If his footballing ability was higher & not blatantly over inflated here I'd defo have no problem. However, to rank just appearances to reach legend status without great ability don't make sense to me. Especially for the young uns in terms of their ambition, to say just turn up on time & your a Legend is way to easy. It demeans the true value of the word Legend imo .How about the word Loyal, that's an apt word to better describe Noble, a great & loyal servant to WHU.

Anyway, Jack I'll leave you to your opinion, just mutually leave me to mine as i watched all Nobles Career + say another 30yrs before him. Thinking about it Scottie Parker is a better recent example a player whose 100% took over games. Did you see him play?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4379 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Looks probable that he won't make the Man City game due to dead leg recovery.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Looks probable that he won't make the Man City game due to dead leg recovery.
I'm sure I've read on here that his game is not all about having the legs for it anyway ;)
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Brooking, the last time one of that list kicked a ball for us was over 20 years ago. During that time, the fans who have grown up watching West Ham since the 90’s are allowed to have a club legend that deserves to be held in regard with those players. A player who was a one club man, got in the top ten for appearances and has etched his name in West Ham folklore. Whether you like it or not that’s the cold hard truth.

I was born in 1987. The biggest club legend since I’ve supported West Ham? Mark Noble, hands down. That’s the way it is for me and many others. You’re allowed an opinion and you can keep beating that drum but you’ve also got to have acceptance of that. If you haven’t then the discussion is over.

We’ll leave it at that.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Denzil

and conversely of course, people like me who grew up watching from about 1953 as a nipper (so that doesn't really count) to when I left in 1979, won't have seen Noble play in the flesh.

our legends would be Ken Brown Sr., Ernie Gregory, Sir Bob, Sir Billy, Trev and I really only saw 3 years of Dev

I cannot deny what you are saying. my dear old dad would have said someone else no doubt as he watched them from the time he was a nipper (well whenever they actually started playing at the Boleyn) and then minus the war years.....

when I moved to the States there was no t.v. coverage and the reports were from the papers about a week after the game was played.

I can only make a case for my "legends" as can you for yours. I don't begrudge your points at all. I get it.

there will be even fewer one club players from here on in, for that alone and the number of games played under so many different managers it's harder to make a case against than it is for imvho.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Colours never run wrote:But just in case there's still a doubt, here's a clear definition of what a Legend is..

Yep, sure sounds like Noble to me. 8-)
Yep agree with this 100% CNR ^^^^ :crest:
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Ding wrote:Mark Noble is a middling premier league football player who spent his entire career at one middling football club. At his best he is intelligent, hardworking and a decent passer of the ball. At his worst he is slow, prone to rash tackles and lacks cutting edge. Few would regard him amongst the most skilful players to have graced our jersey, but none would argue that he is anything but amongst the best servants the club has ever had. History shall deem his biggest achievement to be the upholding of loyalty, an old fashion virtue that is rapidly disappearing from the game.

For this alone he is deservedly a club legend.
And this too100% ^^^^.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’m fairly certain the games changed enough to comfortably predict half our legends wouldn’t have liked non -smoking, drinking environment that exists today and at best would have careers similar to Andy Carrol or Jack Wilshere. Likewise our players now probably couldn't cope with the muddy pitches, heavy balls, proper tackles and drinking culture.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Georgee Paris wrote:I’m fairly certain the games changed enough to comfortably predict half our legends wouldn’t have liked non -smoking, drinking environment that exists today and at best would have careers similar to Andy Carrol or Jack Wilshere. Likewise our players now probably couldn't cope with the muddy pitches, heavy balls, proper tackles and drinking culture.
We’d have sold Moore, Peters & Hurst as soon as the World Cup had been lifted under Brown or this lot