Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

tjpeg44
Has liked: 2 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by tjpeg44 »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm Is any flash ****er on the computer on here able to do one of those gif clips of when he volleyed a pass 1st time out to Anderson? The awareness and technique was **** hot and typical Noble when it comes to such qualities.
This one?

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Comfortably our best player.

When you factor in his contribution, his general consistency, his usual availability......nobody else on the payroll comes close.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

I must admit I’ve written him out if the starting 11 before, largely based on 2 factors, the hype surrounding new signings and looking like his legs were tired. But he keeps coming back !
But ever since Rice has come in and done the energy bit in midfield, we’ve seen Noble concentrate on what he does best. That being to act as a top quality captain, read the game so proficiently and pick a top quality pass.
I’ve never been one that doubted his ability, more his athleticism. In hindsight, he’s had some complete useless partners to put up with in days past, that I suspect he has had to cover for their deficiencies which will have impacted on his own talents.
Good luck to him, he deserves all the praise he is belatedly receiving.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

IG8Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:51 pm.

A neutral friend of mine commented yesterday "I'd take Noble over anyone in Man Utd's midfield currently on the pitch". I'm not sure I'd go that far, but someone of Noble's leadership and work ethic is exactly what they're missing at the moment.
Your mate was right.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Rays Rock wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:57 pm .
I’ve never been one that doubted his ability, more his athleticism. In hindsight, he’s had some complete useless partners to put up with in days past, that I suspect he has had to cover for their deficiencies which will have impacted on his own talents.
Good luck to him, he deserves all the praise he is belatedly receiving.
He's long been one of the fittest athletes with bags of stamina who's managed to avoid injuries for over a decade now. Not saying yourself, but others do confuse his lack of lace with not being athletic. The boy can run for days.
Colours never run

tjpeg44 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:34 pm This one?

That's the kiddie. Thanks! Before Haller has received it, he'd already looked around to see where Anderson was in anticipation of Haller likely to win the knock down. You only complete passages of play like that with a switched on footballing mind, was certainly no fluke. He's done many other first time volled passes down the years too, bit of a trademark of his.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I have said it before but it is true. We will never see another Brooking, Devonshire, Bonds, Martin, Noble ever again.
I would love to add Declan Rice alongside Noble as he is a captain in waiting, but unless we deliver top 6 status, and that might not be enough, I think he will go in the next couple of years.
Mark is possibly the last of the one club breed and he is a very, very good footballer. He loves West Ham United, gives it everything, every game and he certainly does have class. As well as the best penalty taker since Tonka and Julian.
Mark is a West Ham legend in my 40 odd years experience.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Our most important player by a country mile. Central midfield is the toughest position on the pitch but he makes it look very easy.
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

#cockneypirlo
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

His legs looked to have been going a couple of seasons ago but Pellegrini is known for getting his players super fit and this has rubbed off on Noble for sure. He has turned back the clock and is now as fit as any player many years his junior.

No player can beat father time but Mark has certainly extended his sell by date in the last 2 seasons.

Would love to see him win something he really deserves it.
Colours never run

Hes always been one paced and slow at that. The difference being is Noble is now surrounded by quick energetic young players like Rice, Fornals, Lanzini, Anderson, Diop, Fredericks even Wilshere when he's on the pitch. For far too long in his long career has he had to put up with doing too much because the youth and pace of the team has rarely been there all over the park. Now he looks as good as ever just by playing in cruise control for that very reason. He deserves the luxury after all the hard graft he has tirelessly put in down the years and concentrate more on just his own game.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Noble has always been underrated. He has two weaknesses: he has no pace of foot, and he sometimes makes rash tackles.These are complaints you could levy at Paul Scholes, Roy Keane, Scott Parker, Gareth Barry, Kevin Nolan, the late and ironically named Gary Speed, and even to some extent Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, and Gazza. Noble is a brilliant passer, reads the game extremely well, and strikes the ball very well.and is one of the cleverest players in the game. His biggest weakness for many years was the 10 other players on the pitch with him, either because they lacked talent, application or both. Now that he is surrounded by better players, he is really shining. Quite how players like Eric Dier, Jake Livermore and Fabian Delph have multiple England caps and Noble doesn’t boggles the mind. The only explanation I can find, is that Noble found himself behind the aforementioned Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes and Carrick, and was considered too old by the time they were out of the picture.
As much as we celebrate and cherish him now, his true value won’t be felt until he retires and we are left with the void his absence will leave behind. For that reason, we need to keep hold of and nurture Rice, Coventry, Powell and Cullen.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Peaches wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:41 am Noble has always been underrated. He has two weaknesses: he has no pace of foot, and he sometimes makes rash tackles.These are complaints you could levy at Paul Scholes, Roy Keane, Scott Parker, Gareth Barry, Kevin Nolan, the late and ironically named Gary Speed, and even to some extent Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard, and Gazza. Noble is a brilliant passer, reads the game extremely well, and strikes the ball very well.and is one of the cleverest players in the game. His biggest weakness for many years was the 10 other players on the pitch with him, either because they lacked talent, application or both. Now that he is surrounded by better players, he is really shining. Quite how players like Eric Dier, Jake Livermore and Fabian Delph have multiple England caps and Noble doesn’t boggles the mind. The only explanation I can find, is that Noble found himself behind the aforementioned Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes and Carrick, and was considered too old by the time they were out of the picture.
As much as we celebrate and cherish him now, his true value won’t be felt until he retires and we are left with the void his absence will leave behind. For that reason, we need to keep hold of and nurture Rice, Coventry, Powell and Cullen.
and

The main reason noble didn't get a cap was pure bad luck and timing. in the early years, Every time he was in the picture we then got relegated and that then set him back a couple of years as other inferior players got their chance.
If his career season 2015\16 was a year before in the first season of the qualifying cycle (when managers experiment more) then he would have got called up. It is typically Noble 's bad luck that in 2015\16 there happened to be another English midfielder having a career season whose team were top of the leavue.
Annoyingly, the manager most likely to pick Noble is now in charge but it is probably too late. If Southgate was in charge when he was in his early 20s he would have been called up, no doubt s
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

We live in a world where Tom Cleverley has 13 England caps and Mark Noble has 0

Saying that, he gets to sit in a pretty prestigious group

Billy Bonds and Julian Dicks aren’t forgotten because they never played against Paraguay...
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Colours never run

It was neither bad luck or bad timing but poor managerial selections. From Capello to Southgate, they've all had ample opportunity to give him at least 1 ****ing Cap. Not that all England managers overlooked him as good old Psycho understood the value of him at U21 level making him his Captain to the Final way back when. Lazy management selecting favourites is what's done him for the most part and it always was b*llocks.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Write him off at your peril.

Over the summer some were talking of him having only a bit part to play this season...He is IMO absolutely crucial to our exploits this season both as a player and as a leader.

One of the first names on the team sheet.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

It ridiculous that he's never been given a go in the England side, but apart from my sadness for him that he's never got to wear the shirt, I actually don't care.

He's a West Ham legend, and I'm very confident that he derives more pleasure from that than having garnered fewer caps than Huddlestone, Drinkwater or Osman as would have inevitably happened.

I actually fancy him for HOTY this year.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

ironilunga wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:09 am Write him off at your peril.

Over the summer some were talking of him having only a bit part to play this season...He is IMO absolutely crucial to our exploits this season both as a player and as a leader.

One of the first names on the team sheet.
Quite.

I was one of the voices that was calling for more strengthening in the centre of midfield, but my reasoning is that when he's not available, we look much, much weaker. At some point in the next few years we are going to have to start thinking about replacing him. I'd rather do that when we're strong, than when we're desperate.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:51 am It was neither bad luck or bad timing but poor managerial selections. From Capello to Southgate, they've all had ample opportunity to give him at least 1 ****ing Cap. Not that all England managers overlooked him as good old Psycho understood the value of him at U21 level making him his Captain to the Final way back when. Lazy management selecting favourites is what's done him for the most part and it always was b*llocks.
You can't really blame Southgate. He has only been manager since September 2016.
Unfortunately we as a team, and Noble as a player, were not very good in 2016/17, so by the time Southgate got round to changing up the squad Noble was not really a consideration. If Noble had carried his 2015/16 form into the next season, or we as a club were riding high again then I am almost certain Southgate would have picked him, but we were rubbish.
Since then, he has clearly prioritised youth, and Noble does not have that on his side.
Southgate is the first England manager for a long long time who favours ability on the ball over other traditional assets, so if Noble was 27 Southgate would definitely pick him [IMHO of course]

The most surprising omission for me was Allardyce straight after he took over after the 2016 World Cup. I was surprised he didn't call up his ex-captain at that point given the squad was being refreshed - maybe he would have done if he had been in the job longer?