Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:50 am

His post match comments and body language yesterday were deeply concerning and looking at the floor, " If we don't get back to the training ground and start training hard, then we are bang in trouble " :(

steps

Post by steps » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:44 am

“Absolutely damning quote from Mark Noble post-match. "You run around, work hard, put your tackles in and win your headers and let the quality take care of itself and at the minute we’re not doing it.” #WHUFC”

@Sam_InkersoleTM

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:46 am

noble knows pelle is going just a question of when . he has seen many managers fail at the club so knows the signs.

Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:50 am
His post match comments and body language yesterday were deeply concerning and looking at the floor, " If we don't get back to the training ground and start training hard, then we are bang in trouble " :(
Was that from MOTM ?

As even the missus said 'Blimey did you hear that'

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:03 am

do we ever train hard as fitness etc has been a problem for some time. only moyes got them training harder

smuts

Post by smuts » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:16 am

Telling comment from Noble. There's players there who aren't up for it.

smuts

Post by smuts » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:17 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:03 am
do we ever train hard as fitness etc has been a problem for some time. only moyes got them training harder
And apparently they didnt like his methods.

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Definition of a captain’s performance today :thup:

hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Back alongside Declan rather than in a 4-1-4-1. About time. :thup:

irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:16 pm

Also reverted back against Sp*rs.

8 games too late....

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:24 am

Enjoy your breakfast, skipper. A job well done last week getting that lot back into focus. Legend. :crest:

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Outstanding yesterday, proper captain and leader on the park, well done Nobes

funky chicken

Post by funky chicken » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am

Put his ability as a player to one side, does everyone think he is still a good captain?

I think he has been escaping a lot of deserved criticism as for the past 3 season when the going has got tough, particularly this season he has gone into complete hiding.

Pellegrini has rightfully been getting a lot of criticism for his decision making and being questioned for how he leads the team. But what has our so-called captain been doing?

Did we see him last night rally the troops when the Gooners scored their first goal? Was he screaming, shouting, or showing any form of passion?

He may not be Matt Upson level of captaincy. But for me he is miles away from Nolan and Parker.

And some of the stupid comments he makes whether in front of the media, or in his columns certainly don't give me a lot of confidence him to inspire his teammates to improve and do better.

In fact if we wasn't so short of other leaders and I was manager I would be tempted to remove the captaincy from him. As he has done nowhere near enough to justify his role IMO.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 am

I think the problem with noble is he knows he cant perform well every game and at 32 needs to be starting games on the bench at times. the fact that our midfield is so poor means he has to play when he is clearly not up to it.
there has been no leadership from him in most of the games during this current run. we got lucky at a below par Chelsea who got stuffed by everton last time out. puts it into perspective.

If rice is here next season I would make him captain , I doubt he will be.

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:32 am

funky chicken wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am
In fact if we wasn't so short of other leaders and I was manager I would be tempted to remove the captaincy from him. As he has done nowhere near enough to justify his role IMO.
I think even the most loyal of Noble supporters (which I put myself in) would agree that Old Father Time is catching up on our Canning Town boy. He's still got some tools in the locker (his peripheral switch last night showed that), however under Pellegrini's usual formation, Noble doesn't fit, particularly as a 32 year old midfielder in today's premier league which is built on pace.

Play Nobes in the holding role alongside a ball-winner and he can still control a game or see a winning position out (which is more likely as he moves to the bench). I've no gripe with the many who don't get Nobes, each to their own. Many said Danny Murphy wasn't very good either - those that know, know.

What I do have gripe with however is tosh like the part quoted.

Mark James Noble has played over 400 league games for West Ham United and has been a regular for every single manager since he broke into the team. The work he continues to do making sure several nationalities feel part of a squad that trains in a championship-level facility under an erratic board who continuously underinvest is fantastic. Not forgetting the community work that he continues to do to in his attempts to keep our famous old club somehow linked to us.

Remove him from the starting 11 as he gets older? Sure. Remove him as club captain? Incredibly disrespectful.

I'd rather 11 Nobles than a team full of Payet's and Arnautovic's any day of the week.

peter49uk

Post by peter49uk » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Like last night when he sees more forward playing players not doing enough against the opo's defenders he gets frustrated and goes forward to do the job himself but that just leaves a hole in our mid-field for the opo's to play a ball into. Lets face it when they were chased down they were making mistakes but our players didn't make the most of them chances, but this didn't happen enough times, some of our players just don't want to do the unspectacular side of the game like the chasing/closing down for 90 min's when without the ball.

badabing

Post by badabing » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Wonder if Nobes still believes we`re not run like a circus any more? Billy Smart is dwarfed by our magnificence.

Lovejoy2

Post by Lovejoy2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Noble and Rice as a midfield pairing just doesn't work, it's far too exposed, for what it's worth I think Rice could play further forward and be a little more expressive and Noble alongside him just doesn't accommodate this.

Noble has been a great servant to the club and a decent player on his day, is he still Premier League quality? not consistently enough in my opinion. Last night we could have done with someone like Kouyate alongside them both to get up and down and use their athleticism to cover gaps where Noble can't get back etc.

Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.

Post by Croydon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 pm

In the 147 games West Ham have played without Noble in the league since 2004, they have only won 37 times. In the past three and a half seasons, the numbers are even starker: just three wins since August 1 2016 without Noble on the pitch. They score more goals with him (an average of 1.3 per match) than without (one) and concede fewer, too (1.5 as opposed to 2.1). With Noble, the win percentage is 36.5 per cent and without him, it’s 11.5 per cent.

szola

Post by szola » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 pm

His passing yesterday was very good :thup:
Was also though when needed.