Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Croydon »

In the 147 games West Ham have played without Noble in the league since 2004, they have only won 37 times. In the past three and a half seasons, the numbers are even starker: just three wins since August 1 2016 without Noble on the pitch. They score more goals with him (an average of 1.3 per match) than without (one) and concede fewer, too (1.5 as opposed to 2.1). With Noble, the win percentage is 36.5 per cent and without him, it’s 11.5 per cent.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

His passing yesterday was very good :thup:
Was also though when needed.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Croydon wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 pm In the 147 games West Ham have played without Noble in the league since 2004, they have only won 37 times.

In the past three and a half seasons, the numbers are even starker: just three wins since August 1 2016 without Noble on the pitch.

They score more goals with him (an average of 1.3 per match) than without (one) and concede fewer, too (1.5 as opposed to 2.1).

With Noble, the win percentage is 36.5 per cent and without him, it’s 11.5 per cent.
Stick that in your pipe you Noble haters and smoke it :scarfer:

Bloody shocking really, but its West Ham and we have a Way of doing things !!!
sizza

Post by sizza »

He is the 2nd worst player on the team that sees any significant minutes

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/29/Show ... d-West-Ham
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

yeah the problem with Noble isnt that he starts over players much better than him, it's that we don't have any CM on the squad list so we trot him out time and again to be subpar.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Post deleted by mod for trying to be a smart arse with the swear filter
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There was one moment in the first half on Monday night, when he picked up the ball in centre midfield and jogged up field with it with a few Arsenal players closing in on him. Everything was to his left, including about 4 players, freely available he could've picked out with a simple routine short pass. Instead, Mark, who never once looked up, ran into a quagmire of Arsenal players and lost possession. This is pretty basic stuff, you would expect to see a Hackney Marshes player to do this, but a Premier League professional footballer ?
Diogenes
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Pop Robson wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:44 pm Stick that in your pipe you Noble haters and smoke it :scarfer:

Bloody shocking really, but its West Ham and we have a Way of doing things !!!
I'm not sure there are many (or any) Noble haters on here. I certainly see him as one of our most consistently good performers over the past 10 years and sincerely hope that continues. However this season, compared to his own high standards, he has been quite awful and I think he knows it (judging by his body language). I hope its a blip and that he has many years left in him but at his age you tend to fear the worst. I don't think you will find many on here arguing against that at the moment, that if we had someone else of appropriate talent available, he would be dropped.
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Yes he has a good game from time to time but surely he needs to step back a bit and finally be upgraded.
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Longaz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:07 pm Because Nobles performed so much better than Haller so far this season.
Of course he has. Haller looks like he's given up, Noble hasn't.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Rozzop wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:03 pm Yes he has a good game from time to time but surely he needs to step back a bit and finally be upgraded.
I'm sure the'll step back and let them upgrade him, shouldn't be too hard !

Get another academy lad in at 17yrs old and say right your taking over from Nobes off you go and we expect 15yrs out of you !!

Or sign someone, the board would sign someone older thats injury prone if they're cheap enough
Longaz
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

duncanio wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:25 pm Of course he has. Haller looks like he's given up, Noble hasn't.
Change the midfield and automatically we'd see more from Haller. Get a new striker and Noble will look the same
Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door »

Honestly I've been pretty frustrated with Mark. Beyond his poor play, he's been publicly sniping at players the set pieces quote was awful. Where he said.... well I don't defend anyone on set pieces because I'm not good at it, but if I did it would be a source of pride that my man not score........

What nonsense is that? Sniping at teammates and claiming that you would do better, at a thing you admit you aren't asked to do because you are bad at it isn't something the captain should be doing.

I mean, should some of the defenders counter by saying,.... "well I'm not asked to track players in midfield, but if I was it would be a point of pride that I wouldn't be run past a few dozen times a match"

One of the worse on field performers of this stretch has been Noble, taking veiled shots at other players is a joke, he used to be a great captain in part because he supported his teammates, led by example, and brought positivity. Recently he's looking beat down, and as his own level of play slips he's started casting about to blame others. I really hope this doesn't continue, or we could have an ugly end to a legendary career.
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Longaz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:42 pm Change the midfield and automatically we'd see more from Haller. Get a new striker and Noble will look the same
We were seeing more from Haller earlier in the season. Why not now? Mark's effort and contribution remains consistent. A change in attitude and increased effort from Haller and things improve.
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:51 pm Honestly I've been pretty frustrated with Mark. Beyond his poor play, he's been publicly sniping at players...
I hear you but I don't see it as sniping as such, he's the captain, someone has to call these lazy players out. The boss never seems to.
He's competent and puts the effort in which is more can be said for some at present.
Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door »

duncanio wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:10 pm I hear you but I don't see it as sniping as such, he's the captain, someone has to call these lazy players out. The boss never seems to.
He's competent and puts the effort in which is more can be said for some at present.
I think the effort differential is nonsense that people make up when they see poor performance.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

He is and will be a legend to me, the service he has brought this club has been fantastic. I have not always shared his opinion, "club not a circus", Burnley incidents etc. however, he loves the club and despite not being the best midfielder in the world he has always given his all on the pitch.

I understand the criticisms of his recent performances, no one should be exempt from criticism however, in my opinion he does seem to be one of a few who are trying to drive a game and its so hard to play a midfield role when some of the players around you are hiding, forcing you to make strange or difficult passes.
His lack of pace etc. is being highlighted due to the role he is currently being asked to play, along with being one of the few who are trying to chase the ball down!

Yes he has his faults but he is one of our own, not many clubs can say that now. :crest:
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:16 pm I think the effort differential is nonsense that people make up when they see poor performance.
Yep, saw your post on the other thread.
Maybe sometimes but certainly not always imo.
Surely you don't think that every player is putting in 100% at the moment?
Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door »

duncanio wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:48 pm Yep, saw your post on the other thread.
Maybe sometimes but certainly not always imo.
Surely you don't think that every player is putting in 100% at the moment?
I think they get frustrated, and some coast. I also think some of it is concentration lapses more than effort, and Mark is far from innocent in that regard, the number of lazy giveaways he's had the last month has been astounding.
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 pm I think they get frustrated, and some coast. I also think some of it is concentration lapses more than effort, and Mark is far from innocent in that regard, the number of lazy giveaways he's had the last month has been astounding.
Frustrated for sure, that's part of the game and being able to handle that shows a maturity.
Definitely some coast but that in my book is not putting in 100 percent.
Agree he's guilty of giving the ball away, not sure he's been worse than the rest.