Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Kialos wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:07 pm Like much at West Ham, Noble has changed and not for the better. He is now a board lackey. The board are using him because they know he is the one player the fans look up to and respect and Noble is happy to be used having been rewarded with a fat long term contract

His behaviour towards Ogbonna stank of someone who is abusing his position secure in the knowledge that the board will back him over the manager and any other player.
Sad to say, but I think the first paragraph is bang on the money. The second might be too.

As an aside people have mentioned Bonzo after Castilla. Stretch fell foul of us too for a while when whilst praising Millwall's home support in a game against us he said we should be more like them. He didn't have it good at UP for quite a while after that. He might have been captain at the time too? (around '89).
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Have to say I'm shocked at the vitriol being poured on our Captain here.

It's bordering on hatred of our skipper .

Sorry, but I'm not joining in.
Cottee
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Cottee »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:37 am However, neither does he deserve the vitriol expressed almost daily on here, he's given his all for the club and is the last local hero of our proper ground, we'll never see his like again and I promise you we will miss him when he's gone.
100%

People have mentioned the Bonzo situation of calling the fans scum. Had social media been around then, he'd never have recovered from it.

Unfortunately, Noble plays in the wrong era.

I also read 'Real legends win trophies, international caps even get a statue or a stand named after them.'

Well, I don't know too many players we've had who have had stands named after them while still playing. Bonzo never played for England. And there's time for Noble to still win an FA Cup. Are we honestly saying though that this is what he needs to do to gain legendary status? That otherwise his nigh on 500 appearances mean sod all?

Bit like people who say Messi isn't an all time great because of his lack of trophies with Argentina. It's not all down to one player to win a trophy you know.

Maradona excepted, of course...

Truth is, we don't actually deserve someone like Noble. Everyone moans about the lack of loyalty in the game, then absolutely slate probably the last truly loyal, local lad we'll ever see.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:24 pm Have to say I'm shocked at the vitriol being poured on our Captain here.

It's bordering on hatred of our skipper .

Sorry, but I'm not joining in.
I love the bloke & what he’s given to our club over the years, but i love West Ham United a lot lot more.

No one is above criticism in my book if they do what is left of my club a disservice.

Oggy has been miles above him in effort in C&B this season, he’s the one player who deserves a bit of kudos over the last few weeks for keeping his head up and at least working his b*llocks off.

Our captain let himself down and let the badge down yesterday by acting the billy big bollox, and worst of all, he chose the one lad out there who’s actually been putting a shift in.

I won’t go into why there’s other reasons I’m not too keen on the fella at the moment, but let’s just say I think he needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask where his loyalties lie - with the manager, lads like Oggy who he’s supposed to be the skipper of, and those of us who‘ve supported him through thick and thin - or his paymaster mates* - yesterday was symbolic of why his heart might always be in the right place, but he needs to check his ****ing head where WHU is concerned

(* I have gone into why... but f*** it)
17 years of hurt
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

Noble has been a decent servant for us but nothing more. He has never been that top class midfielder that we’ve needed for years and fans have obviously held him in higher esteem and cut him a lot of slack because he is “one of us”.

The way he handled the pitch invader left a bitter taste in the mouth and my opinion of him changed then. If he really was one of us, he would have understood the frustrations and wouldn’t have reacted like that (see Collins and Dicks already mentioned).

That’s not even to mention the on pitch tantrums (Tomkins and Ogbonna), the reckless tackles whilst already on a yellow (or diving on a yellow at Villa this season) and the inability to gee up a team that has just conceded a goal. While not entirely his fault, the amount of times that we have capitulated under his captaincy is far too many. When we concede a goal I often look over and the players and captain to see what kind of a reaction there is. More often that not its head down, trudging back to the centre circle. I personally expect more from a captain.

Decent servant - yes. Club legend - not a chance.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

e17, summing up how I feel, perfectly.

:thup:
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

He's not above criticism, the same as all our players. There have been better players than him but his longevity and loyalty is commendable. He has maintained a standard and Captained this club through good and mostly bad times for multiple manager's. Sure there have been dips in form and captaincy but if we take a look at ourselves in our own work lives who doesn't have an off day or down period from time to time.

I don't think he will be appreciated until after he has finished playing. Over the full course of his career he deserves to be ranked as legend.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

He is mr West Ham and we will miss him when he’s gone. Underrated by so many. I’m still upset at him for manhandling a supporter though and that has somewhat tarnished by opinion of him but we all make mistakes. Got no problem with him having a go at our players though even if he’s in the wrong. Everyone has had a flare up with a colleague throughout their careers I reckon.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Despite not feeling the same way about Mark as I once did - the Burnley game changed that for me - this is most definitely not meant as an anti-Noble comment.

I don’t see him as a legend but as a great club servant. In much the same way as Geoff Pike and Stevie Potts are not legends but still to be hugely respected and remembered with real fondness. Mark Noble could have played in the 11 shirt n the same side as Geoff Pike did and he’d have done a decent job just as Geoff did but no-one considered that lad a legend. How could they when he was playing alongside unarguably, genuine ones?

Legends have been in very short supply these last thirty years. It’s not Noble’s fault that because of that very dearth he is considered one. In another era he’d be recognised for what he is - a decent, often good (over the years) but never an exceptional player. But a legend? No. Save that recognition for Bobby, Trev, Billy etc.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

e17 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:46 pm No one is above criticism in my book if they do what is left of my club a disservice.
And nobody is suggesting they should be, and certainly not in a thread where Noble has received literally thousands of critical comments.

Not another player on our books receives anything like the flak Noble does on here, and maybe that's the price he pays for being skipper.

Much of it though is, in my view, unfair, unwarranted and unevenly distributed.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Have I missed something or is noble about to go somewhere?
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

I must admit to not being the biggest Noble fan but I will always give credit where its due, unfortunately that has been few and far between with him lately.
He was always a consistent 7/10 with the occasional 9/10 or 5/10 but now it seems he is a consistent 5/10 with occasional 8/ 10 or 3/10.
In a way I feel for him as its obvious his legs are gone (lets face it they were never the best anyway) and he is being asked to play in a way that he a good engine is paramount - that to me is purely down to the manager. He can still pick a pass and makes the odd great challenge buts these are tempered by the amount he gives the ball away or a foul for being that fraction late (them legs again).
I think the thing with Oggy was probably borne out of frustration and because he knew he f*cked up, but to be truthful how many of us have reacted in a similar way when making a mistake that we should not have made. As long as it was all sorted after no problem for me.

Arguable Pottsy was far more consistent over his career but no one mentions him as legend so as for Nobes its a no from me re the legend thing but, as with Pottsy, a fantastic servant who should be remembered as such. Only thing he needs to watch is that he can soon lose the fans with consistent below par performances and that could effect how some think of him.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

When seeing the "creative" players all around you constantly giving the ball away,it must be the last straw when he,trying to hold the midfield together, is called out for a rare bad pass.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

What Noble did on Thursday was unacceptable. It would have been unacceptable if Bobby Moore had acted that way.

Bottom line is, if Noble had not attacked Ogbonna then he would not be being attacked on here by people who actually are the loyal servants to West Ham. The mugs scraping their own money together to support the team.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Attacked?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Noble proved that as a club, we have no leadership from top to bottom.

A proper leader/captain, would never turn on their own when things are tough, a real captain should lead by example, should encourage and inspire those who follow him into battle.

To 'lose it' in the manner he did, so publicly, all because one of his most committed, and most consistent teammates dared to criticise him, was appalling to watch, and I felt ashamed to have to witness it.

This is isn't a criticism of the man as a player, a player who I have strongly defended and admired over the years, this is a criticism of the man as a captain.

That's two and counting now, for Mark.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Mark Noble is in the team because weve not signed anyone better than him.Its needed addressing for at least three seasons..Yes hes too slow no hes not fit enough for the work that hes being asked to do but this poxy management seem unable to see what is wrong.As for his strop the other day just look at where he was when Koyoute scored..Ogbonna should have given it back to him.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Also - I remember seeing a James Collins interview where he said him and Mark Noble used to have arguments on the pitch intentionally to psyche the other players up at times. Do we know for sure that he hasnt done that with Ogbonna (who's hes worked with for many years now?)
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Lil Joe 17 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:53 pm Also - I remember seeing a James Collins interview where he said him and Mark Noble used to have arguments on the pitch intentionally to psyche the other players up at times. Do we know for sure that he hasnt done that with Ogbonna (who's hes worked with for many years now?)
Having seen the video showing two players physically restraining him and one player who so recently smashed his Lambo into a house dressed as a snowman attempting to bring his skipper back to some form of sanity I rather doubt it was put on. Great advert for the state of the club mind, acted out for the world to appreciate. Bobby must be turning in his grave seeing captaincy reduced to this farce of 'passion' being demonstrated in the form of a headless chicken.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I have never rated noble as a captain. He's awful

Boxing day summed it up with his little strop (to put it mildly)

People say that he has been made captain by X amount of managers etc etc so he must be good

How about the team has stopped performing for X amount of managers whilst he has been captain? Points to terrible leadership ...