Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Morocco Mole

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Morocco Mole » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:40 pm

I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again anyway....the most damning indictment of this current team is that he’s still far from being the worst player in it. Even last night, Masuaku, Cresswell, Haller, and Lanzini were all demonstrably worse. Snodgrass possibly too.

I’m not convinced Rice was much better either.

The skipper is a convenient scapegoat but there are far deeper issues.

Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Upminster Hammer wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:45 pm
When he plays well West Ham play well.
We’ve had one standout season during his career - which will forever be known as 'the Payet season', and have spent the rest of our time alternating between being lower mid-table functional and piss-poor. So if what you say is true, it would suggest he doesn’t play well very often.

Tackler

Post by Tackler » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Morocco Mole wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:40 pm

The skipper is a convenient scapegoat but there are far deeper issues.
I don´t agree, I believe that the board have neglected the centre midfirld for the whole time they have been here and that that has played a big part in our problems on the field.

The last decent centre midfielder we had was Scott Parker and he was bought by the Icelandics!

Now we have very promising Rice coming up and he is dealing with playing with in all due respect a cheap CM partner.

Noble has been a decent servant and would serve us well as a squad player like he should have become way sooner

upton o'good

Post by upton o'good » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:57 pm

-DL- wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 am
But he does have a choice. He's a millionaire, and if he really wanted to, he could easily come out and say what he feels and still be set up financially for life.

Instead though, what he does do is manhandle his own supporters off the pitch, toe the party line, big up the board, and do what's right for Mark Noble to further continue his career and increase his bank balance and accept the long contracts they keep offering him.

I can't blame him for doing that, but please - he does have that choice, but he's chosen not to.
I am not sure it is about money - contract is there either way... He wouldn't be the first person to confuse loyalty to the club and loyalty to those who own it I guess? I agree it is disappointing how regularly he puts his name to statements though (bet they're crafted by someone ele Headbanger )

Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Of course midfield is a problem. f*** situation is worse though in my opinion.

Tackler

Post by Tackler » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm

Morocco Mole wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:01 pm
Of course midfield is a problem. f*** situation is worse though in my opinion.
4 players are needed, full backs, CM and a pacey forward but I can´t see GS&B spending what is needed

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:26 pm

We’ll buy no one and Nobes will be sent out to trot out the same old b*llocks about us all needing to stick together and how the board are trying to improve things. Unfortunately he just does as he’s told by them 3, a puppet.

e17

Post by e17 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Moxy wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:26 pm
We’ll buy no one and Nobes will be sent out to trot out the same old b*llocks about us all needing to stick together and how the board are trying to improve things. Unfortunately he just does as he’s told by them 3, a puppet.
It’s definitely coming.

“We all love this club. That’s why I’ve been here for so long. Now is the time for us to stand United and support the team”

jastons

Post by jastons » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Another goal for Mark Noble :crest:

Hugh Jargon II

Post by Hugh Jargon II » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Anyone else find the statement when he plays well be play well quite telling? We are going down after all. Pardon?

e-20

Post by e-20 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Haven't seen anyone comment on his latest column yet so heres a taste if people haven't seen it, in particular regarding the Dave's Decade in charge.

Upminster Hammer

Post by Upminster Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:17 am

Paolo's Piranhas wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:47 pm
We’ve had one standout season during his career - which will forever be known as 'the Payet season', and have spent the rest of our time alternating between being lower mid-table functional and piss-poor. So if what you say is true, it would suggest he doesn’t play well very often.
But you missed the point about how he links up better woth good players. Look at the Tevez season for example

Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Upminster. Keeping it to on the pitch, as his relationship with the board is another discussion. Though the two are so intertwined it’s not really realistic to talk about one without the other.

What drives me crazy, and I don’t think I’m alone in it, is that a lot of supporters seem to see no distinction between Mark Noble and West Ham United. And act as if what’s good/bad for one must automatically be good/bad for the other. I’m not suggesting that of you, obviously, but it is true of a lot of people. You see it every transfer window, the endless ‘who can we bring in to cover the shortcomings in Mark’s game’ debates, it’s been going on for years. As if West Ham’s most pressing concern is what’s best for Mark Noble.

He’s been a good servant to the club. And as you say, he has qualities to his game that people often choose to ignore when they’re looking to knock him. But I saw someone on another forum the other day describe him as having ‘the heart and drive of Bonds with more skill ’, and to me at least, that’s cloud cuckoo land. I’m not knocking the bloke who said it, it’s all about opinions, and that’s his. He then went on to say we’d miss him greatly when he steps down, and I’d agree with him there, as though I don’t rate him the way his fan club do, I do recognise that - unless by some miracle Rice sticks around, when he goes we’ll have no one left on the pitch whose loyalty to West Ham extends beyond ‘they're paying my wages this season.’

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm

jastons wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 pm
Another goal for Mark Noble :crest:
Bare lolz. He can hit a ball hard from 12 yards. He can take a penalty. Shame he's quite so crap now in midfield, which is where it really matters. Perhaps he should move to American Football where hitting a target from 12 yards counts more, and he can be brought on just to do that. Because he's been offering nothing else.

It's a shame to see a potential legend start failing (flailing?) so badly in the job he's actually employed to do.

Denzil

Post by Denzil » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm

He's really not failing so badly. He is playing no worse than any other player in the team.

el pato

Post by el pato » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:37 pm

True , he,s not playing as bad as some others, but it,s a crucial position , and it affects the teams performance enormously

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:15 pm

Denzil wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm
He's really not failing so badly. He is playing no worse than any other player in the team.
Honestly his performance is the biggest negative factor for the side outside of Roberto. His lack of pace, inability to play against a press and not having a replacement means we badly lose the middle in both attack and defense. No team can consistently win like that. It's one of the most important places on the pitch and he's been one of our worst performers. It trickles into everything. The attacking players have to come much farther back, we can't counter at any type of pace, the wingers have to cheat inside. We get mad scrambles like the 2nd Leicester goal because Noble doesn't even get close to players who gallop down the field, so a defender has to leave their man, and everyone has to rotate to the next biggest threat. Now, in a different side could he maybe get away with some of that.... sure, but if you are only an effective premier league player if the other 9 outfield players have the exact skills to compliment yours, you aren't a competent PL player anymore.

HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:36 am

Interesting comments from Noble:

Speaking exclusively to talkSPORT, he said: “I’m 33 in May. I’ve been doing this for 15/16 years of my life. It’s half my life.”

“At a club at this level with the money we’ve spent, you can’t rely on me. You can’t rely on me to come on at half-time during an FA Cup game – that shouldn’t be like that.”

“The manager knew I had played three games in a week, and we’ve got two big games at home.”

“I spoke to him yesterday and he said he would be putting me on the bench today to save my legs.”

He continued: “When his team performs like that then what can you do? Listen I’ve just said to the players in there that we’ve got to look at ourselves in the mirror – it’s no-one else’s fault.”

“We’ve changed managers, we can’t use that excuse.”

“We’ve got to say to ourselves did I work hard enough today? Was I good enough? And the answer for me was no.”

“I constantly worry about the club. I’m turning 33 soon and that’s where you’re at the age where you want to enjoy the last few years of your career,” he explained.

“But when you’re fighting relegation battles, then trust me it isn’t enjoyable.”

Ozza

Post by Ozza » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:42 am

Sounds like he's tired and had enough to me, not sure I blame him

sgb1972

Post by sgb1972 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 am

HammerMan2004 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:36 am
Interesting comments from Noble:

Speaking exclusively to talkSPORT, he said: “I’m 33 in May. I’ve been doing this for 15/16 years of my life. It’s half my life.”

“At a club at this level with the money we’ve spent, you can’t rely on me. You can’t rely on me to come on at half-time during an FA Cup game – that shouldn’t be like that.”

“The manager knew I had played three games in a week, and we’ve got two big games at home.”

“I spoke to him yesterday and he said he would be putting me on the bench today to save my legs.”

He continued: “When his team performs like that then what can you do? Listen I’ve just said to the players in there that we’ve got to look at ourselves in the mirror – it’s no-one else’s fault.”

“We’ve changed managers, we can’t use that excuse.”

“We’ve got to say to ourselves did I work hard enough today? Was I good enough? And the answer for me was no.”

“I constantly worry about the club. I’m turning 33 soon and that’s where you’re at the age where you want to enjoy the last few years of your career,” he explained.

“But when you’re fighting relegation battles, then trust me it isn’t enjoyable.”
Heard that interview with the Moose clown.

Why did Noble laugh a few times? Can’t see the funny side myself.