Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm If only Matt Upson was from Canning Town eh?

Strangely when we were relegated in 2011 Upson took an absolute beating (and still does) for it. Yet somehow, Noble will be part of his second relegation in May and somehow will be defended to the hilt.

I'm sure he has the club at heart though, as he's 'Mr West Ham'

Jeez we're in trouble if he's our only hope.
It's funny because I don't see many people harp on about his "Canning Town" roots other than to claim that's why he is given special treatment. Not to mention hes actually from Custom House and by time he was on our books lived in Beckton.

But that's an aside. Upson gets stick and rightly so. Not only was he a poor centre half he showed zero leadership.

Maybe some think Noble has shows the same lack of qualities as Upson this season, but to make the comparison between a product of our youth academy versus a 4 year contract journeyman is simply wrong.

Seems to me that this is just a case of scapegoating and straw clutching.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:13 pm We can all remember Donkey Adams. He wasn't a great player, far from it and he definitely had his detractors, but he was a leader out there on the pitch.
I wish we had a Donkey Diop or Ogbonna, it'd been 3-0 v BHA.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Seems to me that this is just a case of scapegoating and straw clutching.
Not in the least.

He's been terrible, along with a few others this season.... Haller, Lanzini, Roberto, Balbuena to name at least another 4. If they'd been here as long as Mark then I dare say their respective individual threads would reach similar amounts of pages and posts. We know he's your pal and its natural to defend him. But don't call it straw clutching when we can ALL see what's happening before our eyes..... and its not pretty.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

He should probably be benched for the majority of the games once Soucek is up to speed. His legs simply are not there any more. Snodgrass actually offers more in his position now.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:22 pm Not in the least.

He's been terrible, along with a few others this season.... Haller, Lanzini, Roberto, Balbuena to name at least another 4. If they'd been here as long as Mark then I dare say their respective individual threads would reach similar amounts of pages and posts. We know he's your pal and its natural to defend him. But don't call it straw clutching when we can ALL see what's happening before our eyes..... and its not pretty.
He's not my pal.

You also misunderstood. I'm not saying you are scapegoating or clutching at straws. But many are on this thread and elsewhere.

Maybe we are just too forgiving in 232, but no one around me cains him. They just realise that he cannot maintain the frequency of games and its only going to get harder. I think even the staunchest Mark noble fan recognises that.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 666 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

He's become this seasons Kevin Nolan.

People are seeing a few poor performances mostly when he is outpaced after a Rice foray.

Nolan did much more than he got credit for and the same applies here
westham,eggyandchips

bristolhammerfc wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:08 pm He's become this seasons Kevin Nolan.

People are seeing a few poor performances mostly when he is outpaced after a Rice foray.

A few poor performances?

Come on Bris, it's been way more than that. In some games, particularly when Lanzini is also in the team, it's like we have 9 men on the field.

I don't dispute what Noble does off the pitch, and frankly I dont really care either.

It's what happens on the pitch that counts, and if your skipper is out of form, that poor form spreads throughout the team. Standards get set from the captain, those standards have gone to **** this season.....and look where we are.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:08 pm He's become this seasons Kevin Nolan.

It's mostly poor performances, with a few good and a few horrific. It's not just mistakes, it's how his limitations warp the midfield.
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:08 pm Nolan did much more than he got credit for
Except for during the festive season
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

I actually think the comparison with Nolan is a tad harsh.

By the point of Nolan leaving, his legs had absolutely gone and he’d spent the best part of two seasons getting away with it because = Allardyce. A good club servant, but a better managers one.

Noble has had at least 3 standout MotM performances for us this season. All performances that under better ownership would have seen the fella rewarded with a rest, and the squad of a top 20 earning club in the world allowing him that grace.

Instead he’s dragged on against West Brom at half time and puffing out of his ass for 90 minutes every week, because we have no one else.

Mark has been here so long it’s easy to forget he was the lad who did the donkeys work for Scott Parker AND Kevin Nolan.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Like a number of us, he may have been better off moving on after 2016.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

e17 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 pm I actually think the comparison with Nolan is a tad harsh.

By the point of Nolan leaving, his legs had absolutely gone and he’d spent the best part of two seasons getting away with it because = Allardyce. A good club servant, but a better managers one.

Noble has had at least 3 standout MotM performances for us this season. All performances that under better ownership would have seen the fella rewarded with a rest, and the squad of a top 20 earning club in the world allowing him that grace.

Instead he’s dragged on against West Brom at half time and puffing out of his ass for 90 minutes every week, because we have no one else.

Mark has been here so long it’s easy to forget he was the lad who did the donkeys work for Scott Parker AND Kevin Nolan.
The post lost all credit when you say he did parkers donkey work? The same Parker who did the donkey work for the entire first team and single handedly saved us from relegation?
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 pm Like a number of us, he may have been better off moving on after 2016.
But like us he didn't because he couldn't.
westham,eggyandchips

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 am But like us he didn't because he couldn't.
I dont even know what that means? :?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:09 am I dont even know what that means? :?
Nobody put an offer in for him I'm guessing
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1193 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 am But like us he didn't because he couldn't.
Because his legs had gone :D
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I wouldn't bother starting him in the next two - Liverpool and Man City. Maybe on the bench, maybe rested completely.

Perhaps give Snodgrass, Anderson and/or Fornals a go in there as the ball-playing third man with Rice and Soucek.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I feel sorry for the fella with some of the comments on here.

Yes he is nearly 33 and is on the decline. he has never been blessed with pace and it is more evident now in this fast pace premiership than ever. Problem is, who have we had in our squad who could have replaced him, seriously?
If he had been dropped because he doesn't have the pace, movement or brain power to be an active first teamer and replaced with say Sanchez, where would we be? I would say even worse than were are now.
Wilshire should not be counted as part of the squad, Fornals isn't a CM and even Snodgrass is a converted winger. Lanzini has been largely missing and to be honest I am not sure he has been found yet.

Mark's comments post WBA was telling, I think he was basically saying we was reliant on him but he is getting on and is tired.

We have had a terrible season and Mark has been part of it however, I can name a few who have been worse and we haven't had the luxury of a full squad to replace those in need of a rest or out of form. I blame Pellegrini (or board...) for the massive cull on players in the summer.

Going forward we have two new signings, one in midfield who I would like to see alongside Rice with Fornals a little more forward. Hopefully this will give Noble a rest to make a positive impact in the upcoming battles.
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 am I wouldn't bother starting him in the next two - Liverpool and Man City. Maybe on the bench, maybe rested completely.

Perhaps give Snodgrass, Anderson and/or Fornals a go in there as the ball-playing third man with Rice and Soucek.
In a relegation battle, you'd give our captain a free pass to sit out the two toughest games we have left?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Lovely to see the support,Johnny.

He will be exhausted toward the end of games because he unstintingly gives all to cover all the deficiencies of the team.