Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by brooking1966 »

Johnny_C WHU wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am I feel sorry for the fella with some of the comments on here.
I feel sorry for West Ham (my priority) as a club, having to rely on Noble's limited leadership/abilities for so long! Maybe being over-sentimental after leaving Boleyn or bias for homeboy. Defending his fake 'Legend' status doesn't provide a good yardstick for our future either considering he's an average player at best. Most successful teams are ruthless when it comes to their players waning abilities ie) Gerrard, Keane, Kompany, Toure, Drogba, Rooney etc.. but not us even when so obvious.

I feel sorry for the treatment of many fella's on here especially Antonio, Kouyate, Obiang, Diame, Masuaku, Ogbonna, Diop, Frank Jnr
Ironically many who comment :thdn: about them are Mark's biggest fans very hypocritical imo.

2yrs I've been attacked here for exposing MN's handicapped game, so no I don't feel sorry for him being on £50 000 per week constantly under performing in C&B. I wondered wtf was going on when I was pointing out the obvious, now it seems like it was many so called 'fans' putting Mark Noble above West Ham. You really wanna say it's a 'few' games when it's most games, or blame the players around him? How old is that excuse? smh

Anyone dissing Mark isn't a true whu fan was the last straw for me, so I stopped posting. I supported whu way before Mark was born, I have seen true whu greats playing for us & find it demeaning to put Mark in that category, someone mentioned Geoff Pike was way better & I agree. I truly hope Mark stays with the club in some capacity as he bleeds C&B, but not so much on the pitch because he isn't good enough.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

brooking1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:24 am I feel sorry for West Ham (my priority) as a club, having to rely on Noble's limited leadership/abilities for so long! Maybe being over-sentimental after leaving Boleyn or bias for homeboy. Defending his fake 'Legend' status doesn't provide a good yardstick for our future either considering he's an average player at best. Most successful teams are ruthless when it comes to their players waning abilities ie) Gerrard, Keane, Kompany, Toure, Drogba, Rooney etc.. but not us even when so obvious.

I feel sorry for the treatment of many fella's on here especially Antonio, Kouyate, Obiang, Diame, Masuaku, Ogbonna, Diop, Frank Jnr
Ironically many who comment :thdn: about them are Mark's biggest fans very hypocritical imo.

2yrs I've been attacked here for exposing MN's handicapped game, so no I don't feel sorry for him being on £50 000 per week constantly under performing in C&B. I wondered wtf was going on when I was pointing out the obvious, now it seems like it was many so called 'fans' putting Mark Noble above West Ham. You really wanna say it's a 'few' games when it's most games, or blame the players around him? How old is that excuse? smh

Anyone dissing Mark isn't a true whu fan was the last straw for me, so I stopped posting. I supported whu way before Mark was born, I have seen true whu greats playing for us & find it demeaning to put Mark in that category, someone mentioned Geoff Pike was way better & I agree. I truly hope Mark stays with the club in some capacity as he bleeds C&B, but not so much on the pitch because he isn't good enough.
Thing is everything is not black and white.

The man is being slated for sub par performances and rightly so, no player should be absolved from criticism especially if they are at detriment to the team and in my opinion if they are not performing then they need replacing. That for me is the thing, we haven't replaced him and actually we are more reliant on him than ever. That is not his fault.
Despite me being nearly 40 and as agile as a brick, if West Ham asked me to play I would do so because I love the club. If I was to be paid £50k a week then even better! Cannot blame the man eh. He is contractually part of the squad and we don't have anyone to replace him, yet he is being slated for his performances. The man said himself that we cannot rely on him!

Does 'Legend' mean he has to be a world class player? If yes, then of course he wouldn't be a legend but he man has played nearly 500 games for this club irrespective of no one taking interest etc. and for me that does make it legendary. No one else is even close to that at any club.
Perhaps there is different interpretation of the word legend, because in a playing capacity there has been much better, but does that make Payet a legend?

I honestly do not subscribe to those who say they are not true fans etc. because everyone has an opinion. I personally feel that at this moment in time Mark is holding the team back, that doesn't make him accountable, it makes the owners and managers accountable.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Johnny_C WHU wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:57 am Thing is everything is not black and white.

The man is being slated for sub par performances and rightly so, no player should be absolved from criticism especially if they are at detriment to the team and in my opinion if they are not performing then they need replacing. That for me is the thing, we haven't replaced him and actually we are more reliant on him than ever. That is not his fault.
Respect brother 100% :thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:46 am In a relegation battle, you'd give our captain a free pass to sit out the two toughest games we have left?
Yes.

It's pretty unlikely that his presence will prove decisive one way or another. It's time to try others in there who might just be better suited to the challenge in these fixtures.
Longaz
Has liked: 1388 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 am I wouldn't bother starting him in the next two - Liverpool and Man City. Maybe on the bench, maybe rested completely.

Perhaps give Snodgrass, Anderson and/or Fornals a go in there as the ball-playing third man with Rice and Soucek.
Surely a midfield three of Rice-Soucek-Noble is better suited for away matches against Liverpool-City than a must win home game against Southampton where Snodgrass/Anderson/Fornals are much more creative and attacking.
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:30 pm Yes.

It's pretty unlikely that his presence will prove decisive one way or another. It's time to try others in there who might just be better suited to the challenge in these fixtures.
I doubt any of our players presence or otherwise is going to prove decisive, but fingers crossed. Putting aside what that would say about Noble’s abilities as a captain. Who in our squad do you see as capable of stepping into that essential captain role for these two games?
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:20 pm I doubt any of our players presence or otherwise is going to prove decisive, but fingers crossed. Putting aside what that would say about Noble’s abilities as a captain. Who in our squad do you see as capable of stepping into that essential captain role for these two games?
The abject lack of an alternative captain certainly highlights one aspect of the wider troubles that are paralysing this squad.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

e-20 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm The abject lack of an alternative captain certainly highlights one aspect of the wider troubles that are paralysing this squad.
Absolutely, we are short on leaders in the squad since the departure of Collins and demise of Reid
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Longaz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:58 pm Surely a midfield three of Rice-Soucek-Noble is better suited for away matches against Liverpool-City than a must win home game against Southampton where Snodgrass/Anderson/Fornals are much more creative and attacking.
I don't really see what Noble will provide that will make a difference against Man City or Liverpool. He seems at his most effective orchestrating play against the bottom 6.

Leave Rice and Soucek there with one other.
Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:20 pm

I doubt any of our players presence or otherwise is going to prove decisive, but fingers crossed. Putting aside what that would say about Noble’s abilities as a captain. Who in our squad do you see as capable of stepping into that essential captain role for these two games?
We gave a very spirited performance at Man City two years ago in Noble's absence. Without actually knowing the players personally it's hard to pick out a character who I would feel would be a leader, but in terms of leading by example we could do a lot worse than Snodgrass or Rice. Ogbonna is another candidate.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:29 pm I don't really see what Noble will provide that will make a difference against Man City or Liverpool. He seems at his most effective orchestrating play against the bottom 6.

Leave Rice and Soucek there with one other.

We gave a very spirited performance at Man City two years ago in Noble's absence. Without actually knowing the players personally it's hard to pick out a character who I would feel would be a leader, but in terms of leading by example we could do a lot worse than Snodgrass or Rice. Ogbonna is another candidate.
You could argue that a dead cat would provide as much leadship as noble on the pitch recently as per how we have just fallen apart with no body rallying the team on the field

So any one of them would be a massive improvement
MilHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by MilHammer »

Noble has the heart, passion and communication skills to be captain.

However, our squad has a bunch of new players, many of whom know nothing about the club or Nobles stewardship these past years. All they see probably see is a likeable but ultimately pass it player. The captain needs to set the standard on the pitch and hold players accountable, even if he isn't the best player. Noble can no longer do that.

I think Rice is ready. Snodgrass is likeable, vocal etc but he's not exactly a lock in player. I think its between Rice, Ogbonna and Snod for me. Before someone gets at me, I think Soucek has captain potential IF we stay up and he remains with us.
Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:29 pm We gave a very spirited performance at Man City two years ago in Noble's absence. Without actually knowing the players personally it's hard to pick out a character who I would feel would be a leader, but in terms of leading by example we could do a lot worse than Snodgrass or Rice. Ogbonna is another candidate.
You’d be okay dropping him, going into the two toughest games of our current relegation fight, because we gave a very spirited performance without him in one of those fixtures in 2017?

And you’ve no one particular in mind to take over his job as captain.

Okay. I guess your opinion of him must be even lower than mine. :D

Joking aside. Personally, I think these are exactly the kind of games he should be demanding to play in. Because that’s part of his job as captain of our club, to lead from the front when the going gets tough. And, if he’s even half the man his advocates say he is, he wouldn’t entertain the idea of sitting them out for a second.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:01 pm You’d be okay dropping him, going into the two toughest games of our current relegation fight, because we gave a very spirited performance without him in one of those fixtures in 2017?

Joking aside. Personally, I think these are exactly the kind of games he should be demanding to play in. Because that’s part of his job as captain of our club, to lead from the front when the going gets tough. And, if he’s even half the man his advocates say he is, he wouldn’t entertain the idea of sitting them out for a second.

If he was Mr west ham he would go to Moyes and say drop me I've been awful
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:09 am I dont even know what that means? :?
For those of us who relocated and have stuck with it, we have done so through blind loyalty (stupidity perhaps) and a sense that regardless of what happens no one is going to stop us supporting our club.

In a similar vein Mark Noble couldn't just walk away from a club that he loves. I know that's probably a difficult thing to explain / justify as his experience as a fan is truly unique. But believe it or not his matchday experience has changed and not for the better.

At UP it was a like a family from the 1st team all the way down to the hostesses in the players lounges and boxes (all of whom are genuine fans) who were like an extension or their family. They had obviously seen Mark grow up, get married, have kids etc.

With the move that all went. Replaced with faceless employees of the LLDC who couldn't give a rats arse who anyone was including who the team were and what sport they played.

Such a change that the wags and kids have stopped going.

I'm sure some card will talk about the poor hard done by multi millionaire players, but for many it was a big thing to lose.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Paolo's Piranhas wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:01 pm You’d be okay dropping him, going into the two toughest games of our current relegation fight, because we gave a very spirited performance without him in one of those fixtures in 2017?

Sure, I don't expect him to say "drop me", even if that is what is best for the team, there is a certain mentality that you have to have to get to where he is. Even players that fans think of as "lazy" have done an incredible amount of work to get anywhere near the PL.

That is why the manager has to look at him, look at the options he has now that Soucek is on board, and say... "Mark, it's time for you to move to the bench for the good of the club", it's a tough thing to do, and it will be tough for Noble to handle (though his comments after WBA make me think he's already started to think around the edges of it) but that's what you pay the manager for.

People would be okay dropping him from the 2 toughest games (and probably most or all of the games to follow) because he's not the player he was, and we finally went out and got a better player to replace him in the role that we didn't have a replacement for, and in any other role you might want to move him to, we already had better players available.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:25 pm For those of us who relocated and have stuck with it, we have done so through blind loyalty (stupidity perhaps) and a sense that regardless of what happens no one is going to stop us supporting our club.
You pays your money....
RichieRiv wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:25 pmIn a similar vein Mark Noble couldn't just walk away from a club that he loves.
Im not suggesting for one minute that he does nor should he even think about it. Personally, I've stayed strong about the move and to this day have only attended a handful of games in 3 and a half years. That doesnt make me a better or worse fan than anybody. I'm pretty sure if thousands more shared my stance, the club would be better for it where these scumbag owners are concerned.
RichieRiv wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:25 pmAt UP it was a like a family from the 1st team all the way down to the hostesses in the players lounges and boxes (all of whom are genuine fans) who were like an extension or their family. They had obviously seen Mark grow up, get married, have kids etc.

With the move that all went. Replaced with faceless employees of the LLDC who couldn't give a rats arse who anyone was including who the team were and what sport they played.

Such a change that the wags and kids have stopped going.
I wasnt the one that said "This club isnt run like a circus anymore". Mark said that as a parting shot to our beloved home.

Words that will haunt him forever.
He will be a legend at this club, and rightly so, but not for the reasons it should be. Someone compared him to Geoff Pike and Steve Potts, and sadly they're right, but it should be more than that, but I doubt it will.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 am I wouldn't bother starting him in the next two - Liverpool and Man City. Maybe on the bench, maybe rested completely.

Perhaps give Snodgrass, Anderson and/or Fornals a go in there as the ball-playing third man with Rice and Soucek.
100%
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

e17 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:21 pm100%
These two are games where most people will be forecasting a defeat no matter what we do, yet sometimes - as in December 2017 - the performance can show the way.

They are almost free hits to try something a little bit different and maybe turn up a way of playing that will work more effectively than what's gone before.

Noble's 7/10 games are coming along once every five or six games now - we need to improve on that. Lanzini hasn't done anything to show he's the answer. Anderson ain't fit to play - so Snodgrass or Fornals goes in there for this one - maybe Anderson at Anfield depending on how Man City pans out.

Most of this team picks itself at the moment - the back 7, Antonio and Snodgrass - probably Anderson when fit.

That leaves the rest of them playing for one starting spot.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Fornals should have been starting for the last 7. There was no logic or justification in him being dropped when Pel was, as he was finally getting going and looked very very good at the point of Moyes coming in

Him, the new bloke, Rice etc

Let Nobes have a couple of games off and then rely on him against Saints
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm Im not suggesting for one minute that he does nor should he even think about it. Personally, I've stayed strong about the move and to this day have only attended a handful of games in 3 and a half years. That doesnt make me a better or worse fan than anybody. I'm pretty sure if thousands more shared my stance, the club would be better for it where these scumbag owners are concerned.
So people should stop conflating the issues the club is facing with our captain.

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm I wasnt the one that said "This club isnt run like a circus anymore". Mark said that as a parting shot to our beloved home.
At that point we had just had a stormer of a season. Beaten Liverpool for the first in nearly 2 generations, beaten the Mancs on our last ever game. I was probably alone in my thinking but I thought there was hope for the next season. We were heading in the right direction. Maybe he had a point at that time? Maybe he thought like the fans that we were moving for the right reasons. To move to the next level?

I don't recall many disagreeing with him that night.

Perhaps people expect our captain to be a fortune teller?
westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:12 pm Words that will haunt him forever.
He will be a legend at this club, and rightly so, but not for the reasons it should be. Someone compared him to Geoff Pike and Steve Potts, and sadly they're right, but it should be more than that, but I doubt it will.
I doubt they will haunt him. I suspect there is an element of our fanbase that will never forget and take great delight in raising it. This is a fanbase that cannot forget Paul Ince, Frank Lampard and Jermaine Defoe.

It's okay if you are of a certain vintage and can remember those players, but every generation needs their own heroes. Someone who they actually saw play.