Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

C-N-R

you have not provided any real "evidence" as to why Noble should be included other than your opinion and that "we are a better side when he plays."

brilliant definition of why a player deserves a cap.

:asleep:

discussion over.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 pm :asleep:

discussion over.
:lol:

If you say so, sleepy. The evidence is clear as day whenever you watch them play. Noble tries more difficult searching passes than Delph could ever dream to make and I'd hazard an educated guess a large proportion of Delphs are more simpler passes but cannot be arsed to study the stattos books for the hard evidence you desire. I have however given untold various stats down the years (over a prolonged period of time, not selective ones over a short period like above - which also doesn't tell the whole story..) as to why Noble has been deserving of a solitary cap ahead of some other players, including Delph. It didn't sink in then and I doubt it'll ever sink in now.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

The argument as to why Southgate might like Delph aside, such as athleticism..... er, can't think beyond that really. He is just another in a longish line of players with caps who are nowhere near as good as Nobes.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Irrespective of Delph vs Noble argument, point is Delph has pulled out of the squad in addition to James Maddison. There's a hole for a CM to be drafted in. It'd be amazing if Noble could finally make an England squad. I just can't see that ever happening unless we were horribly short in the position, to the point where we'd have a Kevin Davies scenario from some years back.

As for Delph vs Noble, Delph is a very good player. But he's been injury prone and I think Noble has been more enduring as a prem player, more consistent, and just continues to do well. Had we signed Delph in the summer, I'd have little doubt that he wouldn't have displaced Noble from our XI. Used in addition to, maybe. Instead of? Only when coming on as sub.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Every manager has their favourites. Players whose qualities they know and have confidence in. It might not always be purely ability but how they react in certain situations, their character, leadership whatever. A manager knows they can trust them when required. That is even more important for international managers who don't spend that much time with their players.

Southgate had a clear favourite in Lingard who he brought up through the U21s but has now been jettisoned. Delph is another player he obviously likes having around the squad. You don't get to play for the top club side in the country, in big domestic and European games if you don't have something about you. Watch the Man City documentary and you can see Delph is a very big character. That kind of stuff is needed by international managers, especially when they are calling up lots of young players. You need characters who you know will help them through

I love Noble and it is a scandal he has not had one cap over the years, but in the same way people say "x number of West Ham managers keep picking him which shows he good he is", a counter arguement is "x number of England managers have not picked him". And nor have any the club managers appeared to be in a clamour to sign him. There has defo been some bad luck and unfortunate timing in not getting called up for England [as i have pointed out before], but is there something else that has point them off?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Crouchy

:thup:

diabolical that Bonzo never got into that mix either...but it is what it is...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:06 pm

diabolical that Bonzo never got into that mix either...
100%

And I would have banged that drum just as loudly for him too.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I think it's largely a matter of timing. When Mark was ready to step up from the U-21s, the likes of Gerrard and Lampard were still in the team and, with the best will in the world, they're better players. Now, when Livermore, Cleverly and Drinkwater were picked, you can't make the same argument but, I suspect it might be a case that the England management thought that Mark's time had passed.

To be honest, you could make a similar argument with respect to Kevin Nolan. Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard kept him out of the England team and he'd have been a better captain than all of them put together.

I suspect that we won't really know how good Noble is until he's retired and we're all sitting around wondering why **** doesn't get done any more.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The problem we have is who will replace him next season when he must start to wind down. realistically he would make the subs bench and occasional start IF we have a decenet replacement for him. of the current squad I think fornals is the man to do it when he finally settles but I would prefer us to buy a decent athletic box to box CM to play alongside rice.

next season we will lose zabaleta Snodgrass and sanchez from the club and noble will be reducing his game time. there is a hole appearing in our central midfield area as we will have rice and possibly wilshere and fornals. crying out for a 2015 kouyate type !

would love to see noble lift the cup in May but we know the club don't take the cup seriously so wont happen. we yet again blew a chance against oxford this season.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am next season we will lose...Snodgrass...from the club
Oh God, not again.

I've been saying that Fornals is the Noble succession plan for a while now and I do believe we will see, at some point this season (probably nearer March than December) a midfield three with Rice in behind Fornals and Lanzini. As I recall, they both started the Brighton game but Lanzini was out on the left due to the absence of Anderson.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:06 pm Crouchy

:thup:

diabolical that Bonzo never got into that mix either...but it is what it is...
Do you remember Bonzo being sub v Italy at Wembley, I was itching for him to get on as the Italians were booting everyone up in the air

https://englandmemories.com/2016/09/19/ ... lly-bonds/
snooperpooper
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am there is a hole appearing in our central midfield area
You have used the future tense when you should have used the present tense, see corrected below....

"there is a hole in our central midfield area"
Colours never run

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am The problem we have is who will replace him next season when he must start to wind down.
I've lost count the amount of times I've heard that down the years. The way he is currently playing, they'll be no need to definitely replace him in the form he's in. He'd have to seriously deteriorate for that to happen and I don't see him slowing or winding down anytime soon. It's a case of, as you were and look to improve more pressing places, not him specifically with everything he brings to our side.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am The problem we have is who will replace him next season when he must start to wind down. realistically he would make the subs bench and occasional start IF we have a decenet replacement for him. of the current squad I think fornals is the man to do it when he finally settles but I would prefer us to buy a decent athletic box to box CM to play alongside rice.
Seriously how many seasons have you been saying this?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ozza wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:30 am Seriously how many seasons have you been saying this?
he changes his mind pretty much every day - as to who we should buy, etc. suggests payers suggested by others, has no clue who they are or how good they might be......

and he still cannot understand that Snoddy's contract is good until 2021 - so what does that tell you ?
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

“Sell him to Stoke for 8 million”
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

'I dreamed of playing for West Ham, I didn't dream of playing for England'

:crest:
Roy of the Rovers

Post by Roy of the Rovers »

Ny Dad thought he was the best ,passion , the best player over the years ,and I have to agree with him !Grit and determination ! Should have played for England in vital games ,how many times was he a Game changer and contoller ,hell I,m A Bournemouth Fan on here representing my dying Father ,He had to deal with so many changes of Managers and players ,Would make a Brilliant Manager ,one of the best ,do not sell him off for peanuts to some despreate team ,he has been at the core of WHU ,his experience is IMMENSE !He had to face New managers ,Primma Donnas ,etc but remained a core player of WHU !
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Sadly Mark, watching you today was a nightmare