Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by funky chicken »

So what was everyone's thoughts on the Captain having to be pulled away from Ogbonna today?

Not the first time this has happened to Noble either, when the same thing occurred when he targeted Tomkins during the FA Cup replay against Everton.

I have to say I am very surprised what little criticism our captain has been receiving. And I am not focusing on his performances, not that they have been much better. But as a captain do we honestly deep down believe he has been good enough compared to the likes of Nolan, Parker etc?

Is he the worst captain in the club's history? Good god no. But I actually think he has been as much of the problem as to why we have been poor over the past few seasons. Would a good captain let our standards slip so much? Would a good captain speak tosh to Newspapers (Evening Standard)? Would a captain hardly encourage his teammates, or screaming and shouting during the games?

If we want to progress not only do we need a much better player than Noble in midfield. But we most certainly need a better and more inspiring Captain than our current one as for me he has failed with a lot of the key elements you need to become a good captain.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:31 pmBut as a captain do we honestly deep down believe he has been good enough compared to the likes of Nolan, Parker etc?
Nah.

He’s a club legend, a brilliant servant, he’s won countless games for us and is the last Boleyn hero.

But he’s never ever been or will ever be proper captain material.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Interesting that in this decade only 3 outfield players have played more PL games than the skipper, and not one of those three had a season in the Championship.

Had we not enjoyed a season down there it's highly likely Mark Noble would have played more PL games than any other outfield player.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

He is getting away with it purely on sentiment. Kouyate obiang and even Fernandez would be better. Makes me angry.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've been asking myself for a while now. Why would any player, merely be content with just playing for his local boyhood club and at the end of his career have precisely nothing to show for all his efforts at the behest of a few medals and trophies ?, because one testimonial and a play off final medal aside, that is all he will have to show when the curtain comes down on his playing career in just over 18 months from now
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm Interesting that in this decade only 3 outfield players have played more PL games than the skipper, and not one of those three had a season in the Championship.

Had we not enjoyed a season down there it's highly likely Mark Noble would have played more PL games than any other outfield player.
I'm sure that is starting to show as well. He's been playing since he was 17. His days are numbered and the next manager has to replace him, Snodgrass, Zabaleta, Yarmolenko and Cresswell with younger, quicker and fitter replacements.

Natural fitness has been missing in this squad for years.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4382 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 pm Interesting that in this decade only 3 outfield players have played more PL games than the skipper, and not one of those three had a season in the Championship.

Not sure that's a good thing, Pinks - the last decade has probably been the most unremittingly mediocre one that I can remember for WHU. There was a little blip in the middle when Allardyce and Bilic were trying to remodel the team around Song, Downing, Payet etc but without them on the scene , we've usually been poor - results wise and style wise.

Noble has increasingly come to symbolise GSB's West Ham since the move.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Bubbs, I wasn't posting it as a "good thing" , it's actually a damning stat. The lack of support he has had, we've flogged him to exhaustion.

I have a view that in the 100mph modern PL players in his position can give you 250 games, not many more.

The game is getting quicker and quicker and the wear and tear increases exponentially with every uplift in pace.

Look at how quickly Rooney faded.

Of course there will be exceptions, but I believe the pace of the PL is shortening careers.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I love Noble but never understood the validity of the pro Noble argument that he has played for us under xxx amount of managers or has played xxx amount of games.

We have been pretty rubbish during that time so not a hugely favourable yardstick!

A great servant, and at times a criminally underrated player, but he has played 500 odd games for a team with an average finishing position of about 15
Pob!
Has liked: 1063 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

The last 3 seasons he got by on his "Mr West Ham" moniker..
He has been awful more often than not, Mr Backwards backwards sideways sideways would be one of the first to be benched by a strong manager.
He offers nothing other than giving away free kicks and waving his arms about. :thdn:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

What was he having a go at Ogbonna for?
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Pob! wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 pm The last 3 seasons he got by on his "Mr West Ham" moniker..
He has been awful more often than not, Mr Backwards backwards sideways sideways would be one of the first to be benched by a strong manager.
He offers nothing other than giving away free kicks and waving his arms about. :thdn:
or squaring up to solid pros like Ogbonna which i thought was disgusting from your so called captain.
He has been living of his “ local boy “ scenario for too long now.
He is also a board puppet.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

61dicksey wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:49 pmsquaring up to solid pros like Ogbonna which i thought was disgusting from your so called captain.
I thought throwing your own fans to the ground who were just harmlessly protesting against the board on the pitch was the real low point. And the day I lost a lot of respect for him.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I didn't see what caused him to lose his sh*t with Oggy, but I thought it was way over the top, and not how a club captain should be conducting themself.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

Oggy has been one of the few who can hold his head high this season. Noble mugged himself right off.
S-H

Post by S-H »

smuts wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:06 pm Oggy has been one of the few who can hold his head high this season. Noble mugged himself right off.
I agree
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Want him remembered for being a great player for West Ham over some good times such as the final Boleyn season - however looks likely his last season will be struggling in an utterly imbalanced midfield and team that is sliding towards the trap door.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 pm I have a view that in the 100mph modern PL players in his position can give you 250 games, not many more.

The game is getting quicker and quicker and the wear and tear increases exponentially with every uplift in pace.

Look at how quickly Rooney faded.

Of course there will be exceptions, but I believe the pace of the PL is shortening careers.
Rooney played almost 500 league games and almost 700 clubs games for English teams, add over 100 for England.

That’s a hell of a lot more than the 250 you mention.

Reheem Sterling has played 243 premier league games, another 50 games in other competitions and 50 games for England.

I don’t think anyone would say Sterling is anywhere near being burnt out aged 25. Admittedly he may burn out around 30 or early 30s, but most players don’t burn out pre 500 games.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:35 pm Not sure that's a good thing, Pinks - the last decade has probably been the most unremittingly mediocre one that I can remember for WHU. There was a little blip in the middle when Allardyce and Bilic were trying to remodel the team around Song, Downing, Payet etc but without them on the scene , we've usually been poor - results wise and style wise.
I also think what is overlooked is that Noble’s best period this decade was with those players. This begs the question does he excel amongst good players and as such he can only maximise his abilities with these players or was he actually being carried by them, to an extent.

I have seen clubs move on from big players numerous times since the inception of the PL. Going back to Ince Hughes and Kanchelskis at United in 1995. I also accept that Noble has been selected by numerous WHU managers, but not a single England manager has selected him at Full International Level and I can’t remember when he was last linked with a big move, and it was 2015 when he was last linked with a move st all. He is our player, with a big history, but there is a time we must move on.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

The list of scapegoats for our current farcical demise is a long one , nobles name would be on that list but nowhere near the top , but everybody's time comes