Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Doc H Ball »

Maybe Bill should've said 'The Bond scheme and Terry Brown can f*** right off'. Instead he was wheeled out to pacify the crowd.

STB continues to take money for backing the Club and trying to justify the move. He even said Sullivan was hit by coins when we all know that's bull****.

Both remain Legends as does Noble. Not his fault that we have never bought anyone in the last 10 years or so capable of filling his boots nor that the Arch Marketeer running the place has marketed him to smooth over the greatest migration ever seen outside of the Promised Land.

I was shocked to see him manhandle Jesus (there's a theme here) rather than react like Julian did and I'd love to hear his unabridged thoughts, but he clearly just genuinely wanted what's best for the club and has been sold down a river like the rest of us.

He was magnificent 2 weeks ago and not one of the suggested replacements would've played like that. Sure, he needs phasing out but that's other peoples' fault and not his.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 am Do you expect him to turn around and say to the fans, I know how you feel, they're a bunch of *****

Of course he tows the line, he's the club captain, he has no choice.
There is not one way of doing that, though arguably I will give you working for Sully might only allow the one in the sense of an offer you daren't refuse variety. Which if so of course, would be indicative of the rottenness that pervades the club and creates the Atmosphere of inevitable repetitive failure.

If that isnt the case though, and I certainly doubt it is that clear cut, then he is mistaking towing the line for treading the line which is doing his reputation no good whatsoever. Being a Sully yes man will only damage you in the end, he won't show you any loyalty beyond your immediate usefulness and then spit you out and he is being used to try to ameliorate the toxic atmosphere between the board and the fans rather than being judged on his footballing and captaincy abilities. The former these days have strong limitations that have generally been overlooked by Managers with the reasons why being a concern for me. His captaincy is an even bigger concern because I have seen little in recent years that suggest he is effective at it either on or off the pitch.

On the pitch only the odd game shows captaincy by example especially in the eternal images as seen on Friday of him trotting back not marking or recognising danger. Off the pitch the endless player unrest be it smaller scale lack of commitment or unity of purpose or very public fallouts there is no indication he has been a unifying influence. That may simply be the way of the football world these days but overall it's difficult to discern his positive effect most of the time anywhere other than the club pushing the Mr West Ham trope for their own benefit. I guess only when he is truly gone will we see by what happens next if his role was more positive than we are giving credit.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Friday was the first time I really felt his time is up, certainly as a starter every week.

How much money has he saved this club over the years by not having to replace him.

Not anymore sadly
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:40 am Maybe Bill should've said 'The Bond scheme and Terry Brown can **** right off'. Instead he was wheeled out to pacify the crowd.

STB continues to take money for backing the Club and trying to justify the move. He even said Sullivan was hit by coins when we all know that's bull****.
With all due respect Doc, you’re comparing him to William Bonds MBE and Sir Trev at a point where one was Manager and the other a club ambassador. Neither chinned supporters or sainc mate.

The comparison to Jules or Ginge makes more sense as they were footballers playing in those games. Ginge in the very same game.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:40 am

He didn't actually say that did he, if my memory serves correctly? he said he was made aware that coins had hit our esteemed chairman, not that he had seen it. I might be wrong.

Sometimes, the devil's in the detail.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

T
-DL- wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 am He reminds me of the sort of people that I've encountered in probably every single job I've been in. The one that's been there long term, has a nice little supervisory, or lower management job, the one that's part of the furniture. A proper company man, does just enough to not get the boot, occasionally shows up on the odd occasion when things go a bit wrong. Has the upper management in their pocket, yet still makes out he's 'one of us' that are down on the shop floor by being everyone's mate. Has the ability to shine on his day, but those days ever becoming decreasing.

I do like Mark, but the days of the Mark Noble era really should now be coming to an end.
That sent a chill down my spine. Know exactly what you mean, met loads like that in the creative and Further Education field. Many start off well meaning and positive but the arch manipulators above your pay grade, yet who hold your future in their hands, squeeze all fight out of you over time. Even when you get to the point you can financially, sometimes even opportunity wise, break free, habit keeps you onside for fear of the Unknown or change. Superb assessment of our skipper I think. In his mind I reckon he feels a serious sense of loyalty to us but over time it has become corrupted and even to a degree he has no doubt through the Malign influence from above, a feeling we are actually letting him and the club down. He has grown away from his background but like many doesn't want to or are capable of seeing it. We see it as divergence he being in the middle and too close to events sees it as a single if broadening line.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

e17 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:58 am With all due respect Doc, you’re comparing him to William Bonds MBE and Sir Trev at a point where one was Manager and the other a club ambassador. Neither chinned supporters or sainc mate.

The comparison to Jules or Ginge makes more sense as they were footballers playing in those games. Ginge in the very same game.
I can still see Bill as he came over to the Chicken Run looking so sad. He was used by Brown and then they got Redknapp in over him. He could've said no and stepped down but I wouldn't expect it.

STB as Club ambassador had an even easier decision to make. Presumably he genuinely believes the guff otherwise I don't see why a wealthy man such as him should take the coin. TBH I don't like listening to him anymore for fear of tarnishing my memories.

Jules and Ginge did it the right way, I agree. i'm not supporting Noble for what he did or for not talking out, just saying that others have done it before him and we are chastising him over them.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

e17 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:38 am PF, of course he won’t be happy with himself after that performance, but the fella shouldn’t be put on a pedestal where his efforts can’t be critiqued because he’s a WHU legend.
100% agree. My post was directed toward those who are continuously negative toward him, irrespective of performance - I didn't make this clear. :thup:
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

He needs to retire this month and be remembered as the great man he was.
I'm quite serious. His legs have gone. He needs a proper mate to tell him perhaps.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:50 pm He needs to retire this month and be remembered as the great man he was.
I'm quite serious. His legs have gone. He needs a proper mate to tell him perhaps.
Noble was poor on Friday but superb on new year's day. I can't see that qualifies him for instant retirement. Friday's game was ropey all round, really not gonna hang noble for that
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

goa127 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 am Noble was poor on Friday but superb on new year's day. I can't see that qualifies him for instant retirement. Friday's game was ropey all round, really not gonna hang noble for that
He doesn't need to retire, but the Friday type of performances have been more the rule than the exception for some time.

The situations in which he can be a valuable starter are very limited, has to be against a side with minimal pace, who can't/won't press when defending. Not many of those in the league outside Bournemouth.

His role should be.... occasional sub appearance, emergency injury cover and solid hand in the earlier cup rounds.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

I love WHU with all my heart yet get hated for pointing out Noble's 5/10 abilities. Now look where we are 3yrs later, where's your 'legend' Captain when you need him. I said he had schoolboy athleticism not fit for 38 PL games & got abuse for it. Rose specs over our future, we're truly living up to having dreams that fade n die.

Nobles game slows the whole team down going forward, can't effectively press or track back. This makes him a constant weak link, easily targeted by opponents. Passing a hot potato backwards/sideways 90% of the time is a recipe for disaster not a 'ticking clock' more like a 'ticking time bomb'. He constantly, puts our defenders under pressure, passing the buck, but stats still look good for him smh. Rotation player/bk room staff at best, not the central lynch pin we need, he's more like a sentimental lynch pin in reality.

Time for change 2020
el pato
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by el pato »

Mark Noble stamps on a snail in the middle of the pitch, Declan Rice, "what you do that for Mark?" Mark Noble "it,s been following me around all game"
Pob!
Has liked: 1064 likes
Total likes: 696 likes

Post by Pob! »

el pato wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:54 pm Mark Noble stamps on a snail in the middle of the pitch, Declan Rice, "what you do that for Mark?" Mark Noble "it,s been following me around all game"
:lol:
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

The problem with Noble is that as he is getting older and his legs are starting to go, he needs to be playing in a position that suits his skills.

He can't run about anymore, so i cant see why he was asked to play on the left of a 3 man midfield (or 5 depending if the wing backs have got back).

His passing is his asset.

Noble has to play in the centre and as a "quarter back" role, not running about....leave that to Snoddy and Rice, if you are going to play that system.

It does mean that Rice has to adapt his game. It depends on who we play, but he gets caught out too often, chasing shadows. He needs to sit in front of the back three and marshall. And if he is doing that, then there is no place for Noble.

But whatever happens, we can not treat him like we have with Ginge....he needs to be given a role in the club.
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

Noble is still one of our best players and proves that over a season. The issue he has is the amount of games and minutes needed from him. We've relied on him far too much and he needs a break. My worry is Rice is in a similar position especially with the addition of international games. He's hardly missed a week! Lad will be burnt out soon.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The usual amount of good passes from him yesterday to the attacking players.

Funny how he always does it yet "the game passes him by"

Same with Zab, gets outsprinted by a greyhound and all the rest of his good work getting up and down the pitch is ignored>

People see that 30+ age and normal appraisal goes out of the window.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

brooking1966 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 pm I love WHU with all my heart yet get hated for pointing out Noble's 5/10 abilities. Now look where we are 3yrs later, where's your 'legend' Captain when you need him. I said he had schoolboy athleticism not fit for 38 PL games & got abuse for it. Rose specs over our future, we're truly living up to having dreams that fade n die.

Nobles game slows the whole team down going forward, can't effectively press or track back. This makes him a constant weak link, easily targeted by opponents. Passing a hot potato backwards/sideways 90% of the time is a recipe for disaster not a 'ticking clock' more like a 'ticking time bomb'. He constantly, puts our defenders under pressure, passing the buck, but stats still look good for him smh. Rotation player/bk room staff at best, not the central lynch pin we need, he's more like a sentimental lynch pin in reality.

Time for change 2020
This isn’t true. If you watch him and go to games you will see and appreciate the amount of work off the ball he does.

When he plays well West Ham play well. He played well with better players around him, unfortunately he has to and has done the thinking for so many other West Ham players through the years.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

irving boleyn wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:40 pm The usual amount of good passes from him yesterday to the attacking players.

Funny how he always does it yet "the game passes him by"

Same with Zab, gets outsprinted by a greyhound and all the rest of his good work getting up and down the pitch is ignored>

People see that 30+ age and normal appraisal goes out of the window.

doesnt matter how much good work they do, when they are being out sprinted and targeted by every team . ffs how many more times ?

leicester took the pi55 AGAIN , (WTF ) is going on was written all over Antonios face 2nd half , its not even a shambles , its gone past that stage ?
who was going to be our midfield saviout to save us ? Wilshere ? yarmolenko Sanchez ?
StokeIrons
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

His lack of awareness and also pace when the opposition counterattacks is his biggest failing. This won't improve with age