Aaron Cresswell signs.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

A Happy Bunny

Re: Aaron Cresswell signs.

Post by A Happy Bunny » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:01 am

Doing opinions so early isn't really helpful. It's like saying 'Well we are 3rd at the moment, so we are coming third at the end of the season'.

Just because Cresswell isn't doing the best at the moment, doesn't mean that he's crap for the rest of the season.

Scratchy

Post by Scratchy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:03 am

A Happy Bunny wrote: Just because Cresswell isn't doing the best at the moment, doesn't mean that he's crap for the rest of the season.
Don't think a single person has said anything like that, have they? The people saying anything close to criticism are just saying that they'd consider taking £20 million, and that's based on last year.

hatori

Post by hatori » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:53 am

Him and Jenks are OK

I'd like to see them both as backups next season, or at least troubled for their places.

Need better ball retention and defensive smarts in those positions - they are starting to look a few yards behind the rest of the team. increased defensive responsibilities or not

Romford
Big X

Post by Romford » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:34 pm

I think they both had poor starts but i didn't see much wrong against City and of course Leicester are very strong from the wings.

Nothing to worry about...

kthammer

Post by kthammer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:45 pm

He's a great little full back but is having the usual second season syndrome.Anyone remember Schemmel?
He needs to work harder on his defensive reliability but as the team beds in he'll be fine.

Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:32 pm

One of Allardyce's main priorities was protecting his full-backs. He hated it if opposing teams could double up on his full-backs so would invariably have a wide player who could track the opposing full-back. This year, with the more open way we are playing Jenkinson and Cresswell have been more exposed.

It's also worth remembering that when we had our excellent spell last year (playing the diamond) Alex Song was putting in Champions League level performances in the holding midfield position which provided even greater protection for the back four. Cresswell is a quality full-back who can get back and forwards. But he is going to get exposed from time-to-time. Personally though, I'd rather have a full-back like him that gets caught out going forward and concede a few goals, than have someone like McCartney there barely getting beyond the half-way line.

He's not worth £15m....but he's a very solid full-back for a club at our level.

ironworks41

Post by ironworks41 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:28 pm

TTS,
Exactly, he hasn't enjoyed the benefit of Jarvis doing a lot of his covering work.

Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Hasn't had a natural wide player in front to stop him being exposed. Now he has Moses it should be better.

Same thing contributed to Jenkinson against Leicester, when he only had Kouyate playing towards his side of the field. Now he has Lanzini.

only1post

Post by only1post » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:34 pm

I know this guy has made a few mistakes and appreciate that everyone is not convinced, particularly on the defensive side but credit where credit is due.
Is that 47 straight games?
We have made some good signings recently but £4m for this guy was a top buy.
Anyone know what the record is for consecutive appearances?

Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Credit where it's due, I'm not a fan but he was full of running yesterday, bombing forward when he could and played a key role in that lovely team goal that Jenkinson finished ~ I don't think that goal has had enough credit really.

I thought Zaha would give him a hrad time, but Bilic sent him out with orders to get right on top of him and not let him run at us, and it worked really well. Hope he carries it forward into the Chelsea game, where I expect his defending will be tested a bit more.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:41 am

Since coming back from his long term injury of one game, I think Cresswell has been superb.

Every game he is rampaging down his flank, linking up really nicely with Payet, Song, Noble and whoever else finds themself down the left side. He carries a goal threat and usually manages to get a decent shot away every game. His deliveries are dangerously reliable and perhaps most importantly he's looked solid and assured defensively.

Keep it up kid.

w6hammer

Post by w6hammer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:44 am

fjthegrey wrote:Since coming back from his long term injury of one game, I think Cresswell has been superb.

Every game he is rampaging down his flank, linking up really nicely with Payet, Song, Noble and whoever else finds themself down the left side. He carries a goal threat and usually manages to get a decent shot away every game. His deliveries are dangerously reliable and perhaps most importantly he's looked solid and assured defensively.

Keep it up kid.
Good post.I concur

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:47 am

Our second most creative player after payet IMO.

Romford_Iron

Post by Romford_Iron » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 am

^^ Bit harsh on Lanzini :lol:

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 am

I tell a lie - it's Noble

Chances created this season (which is a better indication of creativity than assists imo)

Payet: 61
Noble: 28
Cresswell: 27
Lanzini: 14
Moses: 11
Antonio: 9

WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 am

VOTE for Aaron! Currently 2nd on 35%:

Who is the best left back in London? Standard Sport's Poll of the Day

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 91341.html

- Noticed the Standard have a big photo of Danny Rose for the article. Not biased at all... :fsake:

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:19 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:Payet: 61
Suck me sideways.

Imagine what it'd be like if we had two Payets?

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:34 pm

I know it's the second time in a few weeks, but how good has this bloke been this year.

Him and Oggy have got our left side on lock down and going forward he's absolutely top drawer.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Roy Hodgson was at the game yesterday. Even he couldn't have failed to see how good Aaron was again....

woodford

Post by woodford » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:48 pm

sanchoz wrote:Roy Hodgson was at the game yesterday. Even he couldn't have failed to see how good Aaron was again....

he's an Owl. he sleeps during the day, he needs to watch a night match