✍️ Welcome Angelo Ogbonna

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

polar
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Re: Angelo Ogbonna

Post by polar »

It appears he needed a run of games to get up to speed. Must be difficult to come straight back into the team and be consistent.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

This guy has always gotten stick when coming back into the team. To me he is a player who needs to play week in week out and needs time to settle to show his worth.

Players like James Collins and Winston Reid will go into a team and make copious amounts of headers and last ditch tackles which makes them seem immense. Ogbonna has always relied on his positional play in my opinion. Glad he's back to his best and its showing in games.

Nearly if not every defender this season has taken time to get into Pellegrinis way of defending. Ogbonna and Diop looked ropey to start but their partnership is looking more and more formidable as the games go on.

We really are developing a top squad.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Credit where credit is due. Oggy has proved a lot of us wrong since being called into the starting 11, including myself. :thup:

He has had the odd good game in the past few seasons. But has been nowhere near consistent enough. Was another one of those players that would have one good game out of 3/4. Although looked okay in a back 5 under Moyes.

But in terms of displaying more consistent performances in a back 4, he is probably on his best run since Bilic's first season.

I certainly wasn't expecting us to not miss Balbuena in the team he and Diop have looked that assured.

Keep up the good work! :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

He has been excellent
He was always very good at dealing with low crosses. He normally always cuts them out.
He has always been very vocal as well. Encouraging players, organising the back-line speaking to the ref

In the last couple of games he has really stepped it up, and looked commanding. Even an early booking on Saturday where he took one for the team didn't seem to cause him any problems
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

currently enjoying the ogbonnaissance. let's hope it ends in a golden age rather than a bout of plague.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Mr dependable. Always appreciated the job he's done for the team :thup:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Ogbonna likes playing on the left, the rest of our CB's like playing on the right. That helps massively when guys are comfortable in their positions.

I think the improvement of Fredricks at RB is helping out big time as well. He cuts a lot of things out which Zaba just couldn't last season.

We're just better all over the pitch, more assured, control possession better, take risks in less dangerous areas. Haller is an enormous outlet for the defence really. It sticks when it goes forward, giving them a chance to regain shape. So often over the last few seasons the ball was coming back before we'd even managed to push the line up after a clearance.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

No matter what we all think of him as a player, 1 thing I think he deserves a lot of praise for that in my opinion has fallen under the radar a bit is what an absolutely professional he is.

From what I can remember he has never once kicked up a fuss when he wasn't in the team. And seems to be a very nice character on and off the pitch. Constantly talking to players and looking after the new players off the pitch in the same manor Adrian did when he was at the club.

I do actually genuinely believe he likes it at the club and has happily settled here. Unless any ITK tells me otherwise :thup:
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 pm Credit where credit is due. Oggy has proved a lot of us wrong since being called into the starting 11, including myself. :thup:

He has had the odd good game in the past few seasons. But has been nowhere near consistent enough. Was another one of those players that would have one good game out of 3/4. Although looked okay in a back 5 under Moyes.

But in terms of displaying more consistent performances in a back 4, he is probably on his best run since Bilic's first season.

I certainly wasn't expecting us to not miss Balbuena in the team he and Diop have looked that assured.

Keep up the good work! :thup:
Me too. I thought he was crap but he has been brilliant in last month
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 pm Ogbonna likes playing on the left, the rest of our CB's like playing on the right. That helps massively when guys are comfortable in their positions.

I think the improvement of Fredricks at RB is helping out big time as well. He cuts a lot of things out which Zaba just couldn't last season.

We're just better all over the pitch, more assured, control possession better, take risks in less dangerous areas. Haller is an enormous outlet for the defence really. It sticks when it goes forward, giving them a chance to regain shape. So often over the last few seasons the ball was coming back before we'd even managed to push the line up after a clearance.
Bang on in my view
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 pm No matter what we all think of him as a player, 1 thing I think he deserves a lot of praise for that in my opinion has fallen under the radar a bit is what an absolutely professional he is.

From what I can remember he has never once kicked up a fuss when he wasn't in the team. And seems to be a very nice character on and off the pitch. Constantly talking to players and looking after the new players off the pitch in the same manor Adrian did when he was at the club.

I do actually genuinely believe he likes it at the club and has happily settled here. Unless any ITK tells me otherwise :thup:
Yep. Always been a consummate professional. I imagine growing up as a black kid in Italy in the 90s wasn't easy so clearly must have strong character

I believe him and Pedro Obiang were close pals, both studying for Political Science degrees [no idea if they ever completed them]

He has an unusual clapping style. Both arms completely straight above his head
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

He's playing very well now and upped his game, that's the benefit of having options on the bench and a manager who will drop players who don't perform. Cresswell is another who knows that he has to take the opportunity he has with both hands.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

These past few games he's been top drawer and deserves a lot of credit for how he's currently playing. Not only has he always been very professional and fully committed to our cause, he's also great in the air. His 2 greatest strengths for me and he showed that in spades yesterday. Keep it up Angelo! Wouldn't change the defence at all as it currently stands whilst it's collecting more clean sheets than a launderette at the minute.

The other thing I was impressed with yesterday was him playing responsibly once he received an early yellow card for a cynical foul to stop their attack near the halfway line.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 pmThe other thing I was impressed with yesterday was him playing responsibly once he received an early yellow card for a cynical foul to stop their attack near the halfway line.
The cynical foul was the kind of professionalism we've often lacked.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

For sure, it wasn't a criticism but a compliment. Sometimes you need to make a timely cynical foul to break play up. f*** knows the opposition have done it enough to us in the past.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 pm These past few games he's been top drawer and deserves a lot of credit for how he's currently playing. Not only has he always been very professional and fully committed to our cause, he's also great in the air. His 2 greatest strengths for me and he showed that in spades yesterday. Keep it up Angelo! Wouldn't change the defence at all as it currently stands whilst it's collecting more clean sheets than a launderette at the minute.

The other thing I was impressed with yesterday was him playing responsibly once he received an early yellow card for a cynical foul to stop their attack near the halfway line.
As some who usually does not rate Ogbonna, fair play for this post CNR.

Many a man would not post such praise for a player they have rated poorly in the past :thup:
Colours never run

Like I've stated in the past, regardless of who the player is or what they've done before, I'll always try to give an honest assessment based on merit both good and bad at the time. :)
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 pm currently enjoying the ogbonnaissance.
:lol:

Long may it continue.
anjado
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

Ogbonna has been outstanding I thought we should have sold him in the summer due to VAR coming into the league I was a bit worried about his Italian style defending but he has been superb and one of our best players in every game so far this season long may it continue.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

What happened to Winston? I thought he had joined regular training again a few weeks ago. Is he injured again, or has he not returned at all?