Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by chigwells finest »

Theres a difference between a broken dream and a broken promise and people shelled out because they believed it. If they promised the next level and actually made a go at getting there and failed then fair enough. They haven't invested in the team to get to the next level. We moved without a whimper from the support because of the carrot they dangled and are now being out spent by the likes of West Brom and others.

they had the chance to catapault us to the next level supposedly, and then they signed Emenike
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

chigwells finest wrote: they had the chance to catapault us to the next level supposedly, and then they signed Emenike
That was the day the funk died, my word was he a heap of ****, and I knew he would be, I f**king knew it, so much so that when I expressed my opinion I was temporarily banned :lol: I'll stand by it though, never sign cheap African strikers, it never works out in the end, as our history in that market proves.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

taffhammer wrote:
Theres a difference between a broken dream and a broken promise and people shelled out because they believed it. If they promised the next level and actually made a go at getting there and failed then fair enough. They haven't invested in the team to get to the next level. We moved without a whimper from the support because of the carrot they dangled and are now being out spent by the likes of West Brom and others.
I am not denying any of that, I agree 100%.

I am just saying you won't be able to successfully sue them over any of it.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

There's this Mexican comedy/drama on Netflix. Club des Cuervos.

In Season 2, one of the characters changes clubs and has one of his signings sold behind his back before the promotion playoffs. The owner tells him he doesn't want promotion as it would cost too much and he just wants to make money by buying players on the cheap and selling for profit.

Wonder where they got the idea? :arry:
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Get Diego Costa in on loan now you useless old farts, he has been left out of the Chelsea champions league squad :D
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Hammer1972 wrote: I am not denying any of that, I agree 100%.

I am just saying you won't be able to successfully sue them over any of it.
Thats the beauty of it, you wouldn't have to win. Just the publicity of 1,000 supporters bringing a claim for false selling of season tickets on the promise of the next level without making any real investment would the best protest ever. They'd have to answer to the claim.
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

taffhammer wrote:
Thats the beauty of it, you wouldn't have to win. Just the publicity of 1,000 supporters bringing a claim for false selling of season tickets on the promise of the next level without making any real investment would the best protest ever. They'd have to answer to the claim.
Honestly mate, I'm not trying to be an ****hole here but do you know what you actually mean by 'bringing a claim'? To which court? On which grounds? People bought tickets to a sporting event, there is no written contract with them that stated they would spend a certain amount on players etc. I'm no lawyer, but I think people watch too much TV and don't understand it doesn't work like that.

And why do you think 'They'd have to answer to the claim' ? Even if a load of supporters kicked up a fuss and it gained publicity, they'd issue a paragraph statement on the website full of the usual b*llocks and that'd be that.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

The only sort of legal action that could get off the ground at all is a derivative action by one or some of the shareholders. This is a claim in the name of the company against the directors if certain decisions that are being made are not in the interests of the company. You need shares first, though.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Hammer1972 wrote: Honestly mate, I'm not trying to be an ****hole here but do you know what you actually mean by 'bringing a claim'? To which court? On which grounds? People bought tickets to a sporting event, there is no written contract with them that stated they would spend a certain amount on players etc. I'm no lawyer, but I think people watch too much TV and don't understand it doesn't work like that.

And why do you think 'They'd have to answer to the claim' ? Even if a load of supporters kicked up a fuss and it gained publicity, they'd issue a paragraph statement on the website full of the usual b*llocks and that'd be that.
I'm just putting it out there as i know its not realistic to take them to a small claims court over miss selling of a next level. I am just suggesting they actually promised us that next level and we lost the home we loved without them trying in any way to achieve that next level. In a perfect world if you claimed you would be right ...but in the real world we all know it would never happen.
CubanHammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by CubanHammer »

61dicksey wrote:Get Diego Costa in on loan now you useless old farts, he has been left out of the Chelsea champions league squad :D
The transfer window has SLAMMED SHUT.
maccav
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by maccav »

I don't post often, in fact almost never,but always enjoy reading KUMB and the wide range of views and news.

However the way the Sullivans have behaved recently has brought so much negativity to the club I obsess about that I thought I add a couple of comments.

Firstly a confession - I was stupid enough to believe their propaganda. I believed they were saving the club they loved, believed leaving the BG would give us more spending power, believed we'd stride up the league past the likes of WBA, Southampton, Stoke and the rest, really hoped that that would make the move to the soulless bowl worthwhile. Talked to my sons about the possibility of silverware to come, just like when I was a boy....

Pretty evident now what a prize plum I've been, and I think its that sense of being conned that is making my dislike of them, and all they stand for more intense.

What I haven't entirely worked out is; do I hate them more for the embarrassment they've brought to the honorable West Ham United I grew up with - destroying its reputation as a club, a club always know for its "decency", or is it really just that they lied about the money, there isn't going to be any real money spent, and so no next level signings, and no new success.

Anyone else? What's worse trousering the money and lying about the next level, or the ruining of our reputation built over decades?

Maybe its just a bucket load of both.
Last edited by maccav on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

maccav wrote:I don't post often, in fact almost never,but always enjoy reading KUMB and the wide rage of views and news.

However the way the Sullivan's have behaved recently has brought so much negativity to the club I obsess about that I thought I add a couple of comments.

Firstly a confession - I was stupid enough to believe their propaganda. I believed they were saving the club they loved, believed leaving the BG would give us more spending power, believed we'd stride up the league past the likes of WBA, Southampton, Stoke and the rest, really hoped that would make the move to the soulless bowl worthwhile. Talked to my sons about the possibility of silverware to come, just like when I was a boy....

Pretty evident now what a prize plum I've been, and I think its that sense of being conned that is making my dislike of them, and all they stand for more intense.

What I haven't entirely worked out is, do I hate them more for the embarrassment they've brought to honorable West Ham United I grew up with - destroying its reputation as a club, a club always know for its "decency", or is it really just that they lied about the money, there isn't going to be any real money spent, and so no next level signings, and no new success.

Anyone else? What's worse trousering the money and lying about the next level, or the ruining of our reputation built over decades?

Maybe its just a bucket load of both.
You're not alone in being deceived. Far from it.

For me the hatred was ignited by the embarrassment, and is now fanned by the financial misdemeanors. There's no way back for them now. They've been found out, they won't claw any level of trust back. Because we know deep down there's more dirt to come
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

maccav wrote:Firstly a confession - I was stupid enough to believe their propaganda.
Don't beat yourself up about it .

It's not the fault of the supporters for believing the lies and the spin , the supporters have done nothing wrong , their only mistake was to trust the people who should have the clubs best interest at stake .

I was opposed to the move , and screamed until I was blue in the face that it would be a bad thing ,that the move would do nothing for us , but it doesn't give me any satisfaction to have been proved right .

To see so many fellow supporters disappointed is gutting .

Gold, Sullivan and Brady should be embarrassed .
Hammer1972

Post by Hammer1972 »

The saddest part for me is that there is a public Twitter/potentially legal spat going on between the owners of my club and those of Sporting's....and I find myself rooting for them...
Last edited by Hammer1972 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

There isn't any emotion in them to feel anything apart from richer daily.

Maccav I wouldn't stress about it, they pulled a flanker and only a small number weren't bought in by it

Amazingly there are still a few, on here that still won't see it
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Rio wrote:You're not alone in being deceived. Far from it.

For me the hatred was ignited by the embarrassment, and is now fanned by the financial misdemeanors. There's no way back for them now. They've been found out, they won't claw any level of trust back. Because we know deep down there's more dirt to come
for the longest time, i was willing to give them some leeway as i'm a keen believer in "never put down to malice what can be attributed to incompetence". i still believe that sully is such a classless out of touch imp that he honestly had trouble fathoming why we'd want to stay in the dingy little boleyn when we could have an enormo-dome five minutes from westfield, in the same way he'd have trouble fathoming why anyone would want a worn old armchair when they can have a zebra print hammock.

i put much of our failures in the market down to said base incompetence, followed by repeated attempts to save face.

i'm still not sure malice is the word. spite, vindictiveness, greed and a pathological need to believe his own lies. operating the club like a two bob pimp house with his whores doing his bidding all over the media.

he has put an ugly face on our beautiful club and it's time we clawed it off, tooth and nail.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

I say it every bloody window.

Bring back the days of Team Talk!
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

I still believe that they were more or less telling the truth before the move. Or at least they believed what they were saying. I think they just didn't have the nous to actually know what benefits, if any, the move to a new stadium would bring. It seemed like finger in the air guesswork that, unsurprisIngly, turned out not to be accurate. West Ham is now too big for the Daves to handle. They are just not up to it. I genuinely believe that a good deal of their "lies" are just incompetence.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

I thought that after 4 nights sleeping on this, I would have started to come to terms with what a joke they've made out of us. But I haven't, I'm just so...gutted. I'm not sure if it's them or the ridiculous state of football currently, but I'm really starting to fall out of love with it all.

Just so, so, so disappointed.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

wildkard wrote: West Ham is now too big for the Daves to handle.
Is the sum of it. I wrote this near enough a year ago to the day;
The owners will make a packet if they sell. It makes no great odds to me, and I think this may be their last season here. They seem to be at the limit of their financial capabilities. The perennial demand "to reach the next level" will most likely see them off this year or the next unless we replicate last season,
Beneath the surface, those expressing their anger at the owners are coming from two very different places.

There are the 'wish we were still at the Boleyn' group, some of which have slung their tickets up and who seem determined never to make their peace with the move.

Then there are the renewals who continue to see the potential if only the club had owners with a bit more financial clout and leverage.

All the stuff about the style of communication, they'll make a profit, their background etc has been known to everyone since day one, near enough. It's old news.

They were owners fit for the Boleyn. The stadium changes the scale of the dreams that people have.