Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

leveller

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by leveller »

Kialos wrote:They may as well have bused in stewards from Outer Mongolia such was the complete lack of knowledge of the location.
That's where cheap outsourcing gets you. To be fair though I heard they came in from Timbuktu.
griff123

Post by griff123 »

Big George wrote:As I was trying to leave last night down my normal route I saw signs saying it was blocked by gasworks, I tried to get some sort of sense from the steward "team leader" by the Orbit, he didn't know anything and couldn't give me any advice about which routes were open.
It was nonsense, one steward i spoke to said it was shut on police advice, another steward said it was west ham who asked for it to be shut and another said there was a gasleak & asked for us to sniff in the air....they were trying to sending people over the big bridge that everyone has to take to get back to stratford stn & said you can go back down again over the other side but as me and a few others said it was open on the way to the stadium so why shut it then!

People were getting pissed off & a few lifted one of the fences & we all streamed through to the blue bridge!

Surprise surprise, no gasworks was happening at all!
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Them closing off the small blue bridge (which was never affected, it was the large walkway bridge that was closed due to...insert reason here) after the game when it had been open before the game really pissed me off. I guess it may have been thought too small a bridge to cope with really large numbers so closed post game on safety grounds but why not announce this in the stadium so people know?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I received an email from the club yesterday detailing the walking route closure. These are the relevant extracts.

Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Other areas not shown on that map were closed off after the game, which is the point I'm making.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Kialos wrote:Them closing off the small blue bridge (which was never affected, it was the large walkway bridge that was closed due to...insert reason here) after the game when it had been open before the game really pissed me off. I guess it may have been thought too small a bridge to cope with really large numbers so closed post game on safety grounds but why not announce this in the stadium so people know?
That's the route I was going to take after the game and when I saw it was closed I had to go on the loop road till it got to the lights with Carpenters Lane with everyone else. Saw plenty of annoyed people remonstrating with a couple of stewards posted at the fence and as you say, let people know with an announcement. At the Boleyn if there were delays on the district at Upton Park station we got tannoy announcements.
LOS

Post by LOS »

I am always curious as to the away fans opinions of the new stadium, so have just been browsing Up The Clarets. They are broadly consistent with the opinions of most of those supporters of teams who we have hosted so far. i.e. unfavourable.

There is also a consistent theme among many of these posters from other clubs, that they were really interested in seeing our new ground, comparing the day to Upton Park, and ticking another stadium off their list of those visited. But lots of them state their first visit will be their last visit and they genuinely feel for us as a support base having to go there each home game.

My worry is that we already know many West Ham fans suggest they wont renew for season 2 (or Band 5's season 3) at the new gaff - but it comes to something if we have swathes of absent away support too. Can't be many clubs in our situation. Another nail ?
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Would appreciate advice on the best walking route after matches to get to Stratford Broadway without getting too caught up in the queues for the station.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Can I suggest another subject for a KUMB poll on the stadium?

Compared to the Boleyn, from the Olympic Stadium does your journey from your seat to your home –

1. Take longer
2. Take about the same time
3. Take less time

It will be interesting to see if the additional rail lines from Stratford are allowing supporters to get home more quickly, or if the extra time to get into stations or longer distance to travel (for some) actually makes the journey longer.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

brownout wrote:Can I suggest another subject for a KUMB poll on the stadium?

Compared to the Boleyn, from the Olympic Stadium does your journey from your seat to your home –

1. Take longer
2. Take about the same time
3. Take less time

It will be interesting to see if the additional rail lines from Stratford are allowing supporters to get home more quickly, or if the extra time to get into stations or longer distance to travel (for some) actually makes the journey longer.
mine takes longer and i miss the walk to east ham (in fact i miss everything - and no im not Zaza )
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Mines a hell of a lot quicker, but then I live in Kent so I'm interested to see what people think who live that way
hoopsta
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by hoopsta »

not much difference for me, maybe 5-10 mins quicker getting there but the same getting back!
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Mine is quicker but then it costs me about £25 quid each game so it should be

(Ebbsfleet to Stratford + Parking)
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

About the same time but much more tedious, uncomfortable and quite frankly dangerous.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Much quicker getting home for me at The LS.

Usually we walk to Pudding Mill Lane and get the DLR to Stratford and then on to the Central line. Sometimes walk straight to Stratford. Only once had a problem due to no trains going through Leyton. Although even then, the delay wasn't to bad.

Much better then getting back from UP......
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

MInes about the same, if not shorter time frame.

Leave seat and walk to Stratford Station.
Central Line to Loughton.
Drive from Loughton to Northampton
vs
Leave seat and walk to Plaistow/UP
Change at Mile End, Central line to Loughton
Drive from Loughton to northampton
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

My journey is 30 minutes longer mainly due to seat to jubilees line issues. I didn't get on the train yesterday till 10.10 due to Gasworks closure
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

Depends which way I'm coming. If it's via Waterloo I jump on the Jubilee to Stratford and then the Overground one stop to Hackney Wick. Tank Bar, Ribman etc and a 5-minute brisk walk to the stadium. I walked once from Stratford - never again. Going home - Overground straight through to Richmond.
LOS

Post by LOS »

Much worse for me now. Am on C2C line, so used to walk to East Ham. So far the comparison is to that of leaving a theme park. :cry:
griff123

Post by griff123 »

LOS wrote:Much worse for me now. Am on C2C line, so used to walk to East Ham. So far the comparison is to that of leaving a theme park. :cry:
surely its not much different?
10 mins walk down greenway to West ham from the the London Stadium compared to 10-20 mins walk to west ham from the BG