Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by danm79 »

LOS wrote:See todays News round up thread; there is a link within suggesting Brady is confident of making a major stadium announcement after the Palace game. I'd imagine it's a green light for the 3k additional capacity, but the speculation of a major announcement has me pondering all sorts !!
I was thinking about her claim of no trouble etc....I guess spiderman and his mate having a mock fight on the pitch and the man u fan celebrating with Mata or the steward punching a West Ham fan don't count as issues by LS185 as this was due to them being useless
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

Did anyone else feel that the stewarding had improved today? I was in 216 and the stewards were generally quite fair and friendly.

I saw a few stewards walking up and down the stairs during the game, just checking things. One steward asked a lad to put his e-cig away. The lad apogolgised and put it away, that was the end of that. No telling fans to sit down in what is a clearly a standing section.

One steward made a friendly joke about the fact that one fan had a ton of ketchup on his hotdog. Both had a little laugh, it was just nice to see.

I just feel the've got a lot of stick recently (And rightly so) but today they were very good, and just genuinely quite nice, it didn't seem forceful.

Any good or bad opinions on the stewarding today?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

BPRIGGSC wrote:Did anyone else feel that the stewarding had improved today? I was in 216 and the stewards were generally quite fair and friendly.

Any good or bad opinions on the stewarding today?
The cynic in me says, it was good cos we won. :hush:
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

I assume the aggro in the palace end was the stewards wading in mob handed to confiscate the drum they had let through the gates. Only to hand it back 2 minutes later. If that was the case, it was utter madness.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Stewards seemed more friendly today, they acted with smiles on their faces before the game, interacting with the crowd which is a positive. Please keep that up :thup:
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

I got a smile from a steward today and that's the first time
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Phil S wrote:I got a smile from a steward today and that's the first time

I can top that. I think we had one of the old school Boleyn stewards in the a smal in front of us today and when we scored he gave the crossed arms celebrating with the rest of the fans in front of him. That's what we need more of! :lol:
leveller

Post by leveller »

The Big Show wrote:I assume the aggro in the palace end was the stewards wading in mob handed to confiscate the drum they had let through the gates. Only to hand it back 2 minutes later. If that was the case, it was utter madness.
Are you talking about the argy-bargy between the Palace fans and stewards on the segregation line in the lower tier during the first half? Looked like they were trying to break through the line and get to the home fans but it was hard to tell as I was a few blocks away from it.

But yeah the stewards have obviously been briefed before the game to be more friendly, laid-back and tolerant which blatantly came from the club (via LS185). In 127 they more or less left us to it for the first time ever.
sgt_squirrel

Post by sgt_squirrel »

113 seemed to be the focus of the stewards attention again today. From what i could see we were the only section of home fans that had stewards in the aisles. They only ****ed off once their colleagues started fighting the Palace fans.
leveller

Post by leveller »

sgt_squirrel wrote:113 seemed to be the focus of the stewards attention again today. From what i could see we were the only section of home fans that had stewards in the aisles. They only ****ed off once their colleagues started fighting the Palace fans.
Sometimes it is neccesary for stewards to persistently stand in seated areas obstructing the aisles to ensure that you don't do the same thing.
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

Just got in from game and genuinely enjoyed the atmosphere. Funny how it picks up when we start playing well isn't it? Just like the Boleyn.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

noblecause wrote:Just got in from game and genuinely enjoyed the atmosphere. Funny how it picks up when we start playing well isn't it? Just like the Boleyn.
I'm in block 241 and I think the atmosphere in my block was probably the best this season.
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

Supporters liason officers might not of been a bad idea?
Stewards now know they're being watched?
Nice to see standing being allowed today
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

Sweeney Bod wrote:
I'm in block 241 and I think the atmosphere in my block was probably the best this season.
Yep, 246 here and it was buzzing. Loved the Super Slav chant, long overdue imo. We do love adversity don't we?
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Yep, even in the prawn sandwich seats the atmosphere was decent. Like has already been said, it's almost as if the quality of football on display has an effect on the atmosphere.

Really liked how the Palace "ultras" (Jesus) made loads of noise for about 30 minutes then were completely silent for the rest of the game. Also, pretty sure I saw drums on the list of "forbidden items" that was published. Could be wrong.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Saw and spoke with a few of the stewards who were at the Boleyn today...I got the impression they are having some influence on matters as supervisors. That is only a west side story, so may not be the case elsewhere. It was noticeable there was no antagonism I could see from stewards towards our fans today.
Perhaps that message is finally getting through.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

The players did the place a big favour sec9nd half....
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

noblecause wrote:Just got in from game and genuinely enjoyed the atmosphere. Funny how it picks up when we start playing well isn't it? Just like the Boleyn.
Or about to announce a rise in capacity of 3000
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

The DLR is proving to be a less satisfactory way to get home now. Today & after the Man City game we’ve got to Stratford International a few minutes before a train is due to leave but been made to wait outside the station until it has gone, meaning 14 & 17 minute waits on a 10 minute service. But the trains that we couldn’t board left with loads of space on them. The reason is apparently to leave space for people to board at Stratford (where few get on) and Stratford High Street (where lots do – and often still can’t all get on the first train). Today it got quite heated with a large number of people held outside and spilling well into the road. One police officer and one railway employee were stopping people going in but neither did a very good job of keeping the crowd informed. Another 3,000 on the capacity is going to make getting home even worse. World class transport links?
FortuneZ

Post by FortuneZ »

The steward sitting at the corner flag near block 102 was funny. He actually thought Bobby Moore lower were singing to him when they were chanting about Big Sam losing his dream job.

Then he was singing along with the new Payet song, celebrated when we scored, and was doing the irons cross at the end.

Good to see for once.