Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Post Reply
User avatar
Rover's returned
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: Blowing in the wind

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Rover's returned » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 am

First time visit to the OS last night. Never thought I'd ever go.
Transport links (Stratford) to the ground and walk up to the stadium were good. Reminded me of the walk to Stade de France in Paris. Ticket office very efficient, pleasantly surprised. Food OK. Chicken burger and monster hot dog for afters. Good seat on the 6 yard line near the away support. Tin hat on but it was better than I expected, probably helped by the fact that we played well and it was against Liverpool.

It is a long, long way from the pitch though. Further even than I expected. Far removed from the chicken run. Scaffolding upon which the temporary seats are fixed made me laugh. So West Ham.

Getting back to Stratford was dandy until the left hand turn towards the stadium. We didnt move for about 30 minutes. Crowd were very patient. The queues at Upton Park were pretty bad though.

Felt sorry for the stewards, though I don't know why. They all looked a bit downtrodden to me.

I'll probably go again in 3 years time. When GSB sell up and new owners build a proper football stadium, I'll start to go again more regularly.

User avatar
SoCal Hammer
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by SoCal Hammer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:07 am

Rover's returned wrote:
Felt sorry for the stewards, though I don't know why. They all looked a bit downtrodden to me.
Probably because most of them are Liverpool fans!

User avatar
OrrMakesItThree
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by OrrMakesItThree » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

I know I'm not the first to say this but the 'Stop/Go' is becoming a farce. What is the point of holding people by the Pret if they are only going to catch the group in front up 150 yards down the road at the traffic lights!!! If they are really trying to limit the flow of people into the stadium surely just one set of signs closer to the station would have the same effect.

User avatar
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Posts: 24277
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:29 pm
Location: Reykjavik comma Iceland full stop
Contact:

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Rio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 am

My search last night was borderline sexual assault. Unnecessary touch of my tinkle, made to unzip jacket and a puzzled look at an ipod classic


And the guy giving a cursory wave a the paddle to moving punters, really isn't effective. A job however at Heathrow or Gatwick directing aircraft awaits

johnnyb
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by johnnyb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:32 am

Rio wrote:My search last night was borderline sexual assault. Unnecessary touch of my tinkle, made to unzip jacket and a puzzled look at an ipod classic


And the guy giving a cursory wave a the paddle to moving punters, really isn't effective. A job however at Heathrow or Gatwick directing aircraft awaits
For the umpteenth time I got a fist in the face as the bloke in front raised his arms for his search, me having been searched already by the first steward.

MilkyBarKid16
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by MilkyBarKid16 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:38 am

Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?

User avatar
Big George
Posts: 10909
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:59 pm
Location: Www.Twitter.com/sgfmann
Contact:

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Big George » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:51 am

It had been getting better recently, but last night was the worst it has been for ages.probably because more people stayed until the end. One thing is clear, the system can’t cope with the increased capacity.

ornchurch ammer
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by ornchurch ammer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I'll say it really quietly, but I think our home ground is becoming a bit of a fortress.

:oops:
As in a pain in the arse to access across the moats?

ornchurch ammer
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by ornchurch ammer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:15 pm

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?
Leave a speed boat moored up on one the rivers. Home in no time.

ornchurch ammer
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by ornchurch ammer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:23 pm

OrrMakesItThree wrote:I know I'm not the first to say this but the 'Stop/Go' is becoming a farce. What is the point of holding people by the Pret if they are only going to catch the group in front up 150 yards down the road at the traffic lights!!! If they are really trying to limit the flow of people into the stadium surely just one set of signs closer to the station would have the same effect.
Apparently a mate of mine had words with someone after the game yesterday who claimed that the Stop/Go boards are necessary to prevent another Hillsborough. How would that happen? :lol:

User avatar
arlhe
Posts: 2589
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: Basildon

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by arlhe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?
Not that I want to advertise it but...

Pudding Mill Lane has no queues Stratford bound (and not much going the other way) and lets you bypass the nonsense with the 'stop/go' boards.

mushy
Posts: 14122
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by mushy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm

OrrMakesItThree wrote:I know I'm not the first to say this but the 'Stop/Go' is becoming a farce. What is the point of holding people by the Pret if they are only going to catch the group in front up 150 yards down the road at the traffic lights!!! If they are really trying to limit the flow of people into the stadium surely just one set of signs closer to the station would have the same effect.
Its the crush of people around the station that they are trying to avoid, specifically there must always be enough room for the Westfield shoppers to be able to access the station without getting trampled underfoot.

The reason that they have multiple stop/go points is because it is easier to control five different sets of 3,000 people then one set of 15,000 people. You wouldnt really expect to have everyone in one big bottleneck outside Stratford station would you? Health and Safety does sometimes make sense(whisper it quietly).

mushy
Posts: 14122
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by mushy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Big George wrote:It had been getting better recently, but last night was the worst it has been for ages.probably because more people stayed until the end. One thing is clear, the system can’t cope with the increased capacity.
We are in the first tranche of people able to leave the stadium and we still got stopped three times on the way back to the station. Probably around a 20 minute walk.
Crowd were in good humour, probably because of the match and the weather.
Imagine standing there for 30 mins in a freezing blizzard or a monsoon.

User avatar
w4hammer
Posts: 8008
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by w4hammer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?

go to pudding mill lane and catch the dlr back the other way ;-)

User avatar
HammerMan2004
Posts: 22089
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: I have no idea.

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by HammerMan2004 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 pm

mushy wrote:Its the crush of people around the station that they are trying to avoid, specifically there must always be enough room for the Westfield shoppers to be able to access the station without getting trampled underfoot.

The reason that they have multiple stop/go points is because it is easier to control five different sets of 3,000 people then one set of 15,000 people. You wouldnt really expect to have everyone in one big bottleneck outside Stratford station would you? Health and Safety does sometimes make sense(whisper it quietly).
A fair point mushy, but the Stop/Go by Pret prevents everyone from turning left towards Stratford International or turning right towards the Underground. I can't help but think the better thing would be to split the group, then Stop/Go. Considering that happens anyway, after the big Stop/Go by Pret. It's overkill and literally causes huge surges of people in groups instead of trickling through. It's like causing huge queues of traffic by inserting a **** load of traffic lights.

User avatar
OrrMakesItThree
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by OrrMakesItThree » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 pm

mushy wrote:
The reason that they have multiple stop/go points is because it is easier to control five different sets of 3,000 people then one set of 15,000 people. You wouldnt really expect to have everyone in one big bottleneck outside Stratford station would you? Health and Safety does sometimes make sense(whisper it quietly).

But after being stopped four or five times last night we still ended up in a big bottle neck outside Stratford station.

User avatar
HammerMan2004
Posts: 22089
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: I have no idea.

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by HammerMan2004 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm

OrrMakesItThree wrote: But after being stopped four or five times last night we still ended up in a big bottle neck outside Stratford station.
Remember when we used to just queue for ages at Upton Park and nobody cared and it was never complained about? Those were the days.

I chuckle sometimes imagining Stop/Go signs down Green Street :lol:

mushy
Posts: 14122
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by mushy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:08 pm

OrrMakesItThree wrote:
But after being stopped four or five times last night we still ended up in a big bottle neck outside Stratford station.
But surely you can see that its a better idea then having the entire crowd pushing and shoving near the station?
What would your alternative plan be?

User avatar
OrrMakesItThree
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 am

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by OrrMakesItThree » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm

mushy wrote:
But surely you can see that its a better idea then having the entire crowd pushing and shoving near the station?
What would your alternative plan be?
I do see that and I don't think anyone expects to make the station without breaking stride but if people have already been stopped four or five times and it's taking 30 to 40 minutes to make the station frustration is inevitable. As somebody has already said I'd have one set by the traffic lights with another set before the station entrance....possibly at the point the two streams over the bridge merge so you alternate the flow into the station.

User avatar
Vic_Watson
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:25 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Vic_Watson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Rio wrote:Unnecessary touch of my tinkle...
Must have thought it was a truncheon you were hiding.

Post Reply