Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by BostonHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:52 am Time to move on. I don't like the bowl but we aint going back home so have to make the place the best we can. a successful team and great atmosphere might encourage some rich billionaire to buy us ?
I believe I read somewhere on here that an American consortium has bought us and it's being kept quiet for a couple years to avoid the tax.
Was that eventually proven to not be true ITK knowledge? I forget the poster's name.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

BostonHammer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:55 pm I believe I read somewhere on here that an American consortium has bought us and it's being kept quiet for a couple years to avoid the tax.
'The Trump Organization'..
Samba

Post by Samba »

BostonHammer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:59 pm Perhaps we can announce a sale of the club in 2020 with the actual purchase not taking place until 1/1/21 in which case the stadium can become Qatar Airways Park or whatever it will be on that date as well?
Club will have to change our name to West Sharia United. Qatar won't like Ham.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

The story about the SAG trying to minimise 'persistent standing' is a league wide issue. Technically (well factually really) persistent deliberate standing contravenes safety regulations at every premier league ground. There was much publicity about this at old Trafford a few years back. Fans in lower tiers in certain parts of several grounds like to stand, regulations say they should sit. A lot of blind eyes are turned but that's not really the answer. The regulations need to be reviewed to see if they can be amended to make this possible.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

If you don't know about Boleyn Phoenix - Kieran did a write-up as part of his review of the Club's 2017 accounts, including how the cousin of a former Vice-Chairman of Spurs made £10m from the sale:
http://priceoffootball.com/west-ham-uni ... ools-gold/
Billy from the bobby

Post by Billy from the bobby »

Update on the work to bring the stands behind the goals closer to the pitch, could be sorted for the start of next season
https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... 0-17068543
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

My seat would now be further away from the pitch if this gets the go ahead and would not be what I chose at the reservation centre at Westfield. Awaiting the club to directly reach out to me to see what they offer, if anything.
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Free WiFi!

Tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 2009

I like the bit about Heineken remaining the premium lager

Classy
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

sanchoz wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:12 am My seat would now be further away from the pitch if this gets the go ahead and would not be what I chose at the reservation centre at Westfield. Awaiting the club to directly reach out to me to see what they offer, if anything.
Genuinely confused - are they really suggesting that they will move seats backwards I thought the whole idea was to move them forward? If additional seats are to be added behind yours would you not stay where you are so your distance to the pitch remains the same?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Those on the corners will not be as close. whilst those in the middle will be nearer. It's not like they'll be on top of the pitch !!!

Check the image again 'Square Off' is the clue to what they are really doing, some win a few feet and some lose,

Overall more gain than lose so its 'WHU MOVE FANS NEARER TO THE PITCH'
Admiral Skeret

Post by Admiral Skeret »

For the people that end up further away, would it not close the gap a little between the bottom and top tiers? Would be a small but worthwhile silver lining I would of thought
Samba

Post by Samba »

sanchoz wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:12 am My seat would now be further away from the pitch if this gets the go ahead and would not be what I chose at the reservation centre at Westfield. Awaiting the club to directly reach out to me to see what they offer, if anything.
Prepare for a long wait, sanchoz..

I find it hard to believe that this will really happen.
What about the poxy athletics running track? Are we not allowing that anymore?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think where I am - next to the away fans 113/114 will be an area that gets rogered. I can’t understand how they can square off this area though. I think it’ll literally just be a section in the middle that will have a few extra seats added. I’m all for any improvements and really do believe it is getting better gradually.
Samba

Post by Samba »

e17 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 am Free WiFi!
Tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 2009
Phew! Thank god all of those people are now going to be able to spend most of the match, talking on their phone.
Except when they're holding them up, filming the game, rather than watching it.
Can phone cameras zoom in that far?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

this is at least some good news as the stadium looks ridiculous at the moment. the two ends squared off and the corners filled in with seats. I doubt the will do this at the away corner so expect a big west ham tarpaulin in that area between the away and home fans at 113.

Then they need to somehow square off the east stand as it will look even further away.

as someone says getting ready for a sell off in 2021 ? lets hope so. American owners, bill gates, Chinese or red bull will do for me. I notice Leipzig are doing well again in germany, could we be the English equivalent ?

RB West Ham United
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Gsbgsb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:21 pm Genuinely confused - are they really suggesting that they will move seats backwards I thought the whole idea was to move them forward? If additional seats are to be added behind yours would you not stay where you are so your distance to the pitch remains the same?
Its as Pop Robson said directly below your post, I am on the curve in line with the touch line in front of the Billy Bonds Stand. If I am in my season ticket seat, on my left and if I look down is the start position for the 8th lane of the 200m athletics race so that gives me an indication of how far away I am at the moment. From the mock up image in the football.london article Billy from the Bobby posted, I can see my seat is potentially (and I say that as it has not happened yet) further away then where I currently am.
Admiral Skeret wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:10 pm For the people that end up further away, would it not close the gap a little between the bottom and top tiers? Would be a small but worthwhile silver lining I would of thought
The top tier is still a permanent structure and is not moving anywhere. Additional seats at this moment in time would mean seats not being sold in other parts of the stadium as the licence for the stadium at this moment in time is for 60,000 maximum capacity. I only speak for myself and others in the same situation might very well have different opinions but to me, but this is a cost saving measure for the stadium owners and operators and is not to improve the current lot of match going fans. Being sold a seat in a particular location that was close to what I had at the Boleyn was the main reason I chose that seat. Other seats around me are season ticket holders in the main so it will be difficult I feel to move the 7 of us (4 in front, 3 row behind) as a block to somewhere else in the Bobby Moore Lower that would provide a similar view or as close a view to what we have now as possible.
Samba wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 pm Prepare for a long wait, sanchoz..

I find it hard to believe that this will really happen.
What about the poxy athletics running track? Are we not allowing that anymore?
I know. I fully expect the person within the club created and controlled construct for fan dialog who states that they represent the whole of the Bobby Moore Stand to proactively put themselves forward and make themselves available to speak to those affected. Or not, as they have not done on any issue since the club decided to go down this route they are currently on.

I have entered into an agreement with the football club based upon purchasing a season ticket and the football club are in theory proposing something that does not sit within those terms and conditions (changing of a stand). I think as a minimum they need to contact everyone in any affected stand and go from there.

Athletics will still be a feature at the stadium for the foreseeable. Easier and cheaper to move those seats for concerts/athletics/baseball apparently.

Also, noted the word retractable has disappeared altogether to describe the temporary nature of the stands in some locations in the lower tier and has been replaced with the words like relocatable. To think, Karren Brady did not like me pointing out to her on twitter a couple of years ago that she was wrong to use the word retractable.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

Pop Robson wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:17 pm Those on the corners will not be as close. whilst those in the middle will be nearer. It's not like they'll be on top of the pitch !!!

Check the image again 'Square Off' is the clue to what they are really doing, some win a few feet and some lose,

Overall more gain than lose so its 'WHU MOVE FANS NEARER TO THE PITCH'
My seat is in the centre of the BML, 3/4 of the way back, and tbh I'm pretty happy with the view and of all the areas of the stadium I feel that this is the least of the problems. Maybe the new solution is more efficient and cost effective for the summer reconfigurations needed so that is the real reason it is being done.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Quick question for all those that use Stratford on a matchday.

I usually go from International but am visiting friends out in Essex after the Sheff U game so will need to go from Stratford main station.

The train I need to get is 17.09, am assuming I will need to shoot off early - when do the old stop go brigade start on or around the bridge? Would it be quicker going around to International and entering Westfield there and walking through?

Cheers in advance.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

FrankieMacsPerm wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:28 am Quick question for all those that use Stratford on a matchday.

I usually go from International but am visiting friends out in Essex after the Sheff U game so will need to go from Stratford main station.

The train I need to get is 17.09, am assuming I will need to shoot off early - when do the old stop go brigade start on or around the bridge? Would it be quicker going around to International and entering Westfield there and walking through?

Cheers in advance.
Leave at half time to be sure.
Phil S
Has liked: 447 likes
Total likes: 382 likes

Post by Phil S »

FrankieMacsPerm wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:28 am Quick question for all those that use Stratford on a matchday.

Cheers in advance.
Where are you in the stadium?
If you're down the bottom end I'd go from Pudding Mill lane back to Stratford