Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by hammerman11 »

crap team crap manager crap stadium crap owners where do we start to fix this load of ***** !
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

Don't know if this has been raised yet but there's now a new policy of searching kids at the bridge entrances. Sheff U was the first game I got asked if they could search my two 9 year olds (told them to jog on), and then this Sat, one of the stewards tried to metal-detect one of my boys before I had to tell him he needed my permission to do so (again told him to jog on).

I'm not overly against them being searched but this has come as a bit of a surprise and (to my knowledge) without any warning. I don't even know what the regs are for this either but I'm not sure I want my kids patted down, or anything like that, by complete strangers.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by danm79 »

BSB1 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 am Don't know if this has been raised yet but there's now a new policy of searching kids at the bridge entrances. Sheff U was the first game I got asked if they could search my two 9 year olds (told them to jog on), and then this Sat, one of the stewards tried to metal-detect one of my boys before I had to tell him he needed my permission to do so (again told him to jog on).

I'm not overly against them being searched but this has come as a bit of a surprise and (to my knowledge) without any warning. I don't even know what the regs are for this either but I'm not sure I want my kids patted down, or anything like that, by complete strangers.
I was told by the FSF that you can’t refuse. Been happening since the move where we enter and at every away game for my little one for years.
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

danm79 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:37 am I was told by the FSF that you can’t refuse. Been happening since the move where we enter and at every away game for my little one for years.
Really? That's interesting as we've (my lot and all the troop of kids) never had it happen on the bridge (by the Orbit) we go over since the move from UP. Kids have always been waved through, hence why I'm only questioning it now. Bags have been (which is obviously fine) but never the kids.

I'll also add, that the first time it happened at Sheff U, a female chief steward (or whatever they are) said to the person who wanted to do the search that he needed my permission first and couldn't just go ahead.

Obviously there's no real clarity around it.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

BSB1 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 am Don't know if this has been raised yet but there's now a new policy of searching kids at the bridge entrances. Sheff U was the first game I got asked if they could search my two 9 year olds (told them to jog on), and then this Sat, one of the stewards tried to metal-detect one of my boys before I had to tell him he needed my permission to do so (again told him to jog on).

Not new, has happened to my boy a couple of times since the move. At least the wand waving did. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, and he didn't care.
TeddyThePug
Has liked: 1 like

Post by TeddyThePug »

Sitting in the top tier last game I looked to the skies in reaction to our first half performance and noticed WiFi aerials all around the roof metalwork.

Obviously being bored as the game progressed I opened up the phone and was able to connect to the 'LS Free' (or something similar) SSID. I wasn't sure if it worked or my phone was still using 4G, but the hardware has definitely been installed.

May come in useful if a game is televised and you want to check a VAR decision :)
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

How nice that we can walk through Westfield now...perhaps they will be brave enough to let us go through there on the homeward leg.

The crowd control can still operate up to the store entrance.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

When we first moved in to the pit the stewards attempted to hand search my kids. I objected and they were let through with no search.
With the wands I do not object as they do not get touched and at the end of the day they have to get ready to live in the real world.

My son is now a quite tall 13 year old but whenever we go to away games he is waved through without search so once again it is our stewards making up their own rules. Much like my favourite of having to undo your coat and take your hat off in the freezing cold or pissing rain. Never done elsewhere either.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 am crap team crap manager crap stadium crap owners where do we start to fix this load of ***** !
Time machine, just go back to a different game each time
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

2020 Summer schedule so far for the Olympic Stadium:

Baseball - St Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs - 13th and 14th June
Concert - Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Weezer - 26th June
Athletics - Anniversary Games - 4th and 5th July
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

Why would you tell them to jog on? What is it that you find so bad about a request to perform a search on them?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

i wouldnt want my kids searched either - just in case they find the wrap i have hidden on them
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

Boleyn Bill wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:10 pm Why would you tell them to jog on? What is it that you find so bad about a request to perform a search on them?
I've never let a steward at any home or away game search my daughter. There's far more likelihood of a steward being a peado than my daughter being a terrorist or carrying a knife.

No way am I allowing her to be drawn into the false narrative that the need to search children at football matches is proportionate to the risk faced or that the measures they are taking in any way mitigate the made up risk they think exists.

Any self respecting terrorist or knife nut would detonate themselves in the queues unnecessarily caused by the poxy security checks in the first place.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

don't see a problem with all people being searched before they enter. its a pat down and can be done by same sex if required.
children have and will be used in terrorist activities. I for one welcome the security at the bowl. it is not ideal but better than none at all.
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:28 pm don't see a problem with all people being searched before they enter. its a pat down and can be done by same sex if required.
children have and will be used in terrorist activities. I for one welcome the security at the bowl. it is not ideal but better than none at all.
That's exactly the narrative I don't want my children to accept. There is a far higher (like 100x) likelihood that a steward is a predator of some kind. The number of children used in terrorist activities in the UK ever is zero.

Full disclosure; analysing this stuff is my job. And one of the functions of that job is a massive frustration at the way people are convinced to behave in a certain way by using certain risks as an excuse.

The main function of security searches at football is not to reduce terrorism risk but to increase food and drink sales on a match day.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

My son is 15 and taller than me and probably as a result often gets the wand used but has never been patted down at the OS when asked his age - which is good. This though has not been the case at some of the away grounds, where he has been patted down.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

TeddyThePug wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 am Sitting in the top tier last game I looked to the skies in reaction to our first half performance and noticed WiFi aerials all around the roof metalwork.

Obviously being bored as the game progressed I opened up the phone and was able to connect to the 'LS Free' (or something similar) SSID. I wasn't sure if it worked or my phone was still using 4G, but the hardware has definitely been installed.

May come in useful if a game is televised and you want to check a VAR decision :)
I've noticed that this season the O2 reception in the NE part is very good - when bored with what's happening on the pitch I found that I could stream the match and VAR decisions with no buffering. Just the usual stream being half a minute behind the live action. This despite many others being bored and all using their phones!

O2 seem to have 2 new towers by bridge 1. When it was still good the last few matches, I went for a walk at half time around the East Stand concourse and outside part with an app that checks the signal strength - anything under -85 is very good signal. These show the signal strength of the tower you are connected to and also the strength of next best tower to you.

or mapping the strength against Google Earth:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

anyone remember when there was talk of a bobby moore hologram

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50381768
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

Sp*rs could have one of a chicken walking about, feeding on scraps and that before having it's next snapped, plucked and shoved into a pot of boiling water with the Southampton song on the speakers to enhance the atmosphere.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

The main function of security searches at football is not to reduce terrorism risk but to increase food and drink sales on a match day.
[/quote]

How's that work? Because I queue up for 5 mins on the bridge I have a burning desire to have a hot dog and coke? :lol: