Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by James P »

Georgee Paris wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:47 am Funnily enough i was looking at the area around the Brentwood Centre and was wondering if that would make a good spot for a new football stadium. Decent transport links - near a fair chunk of our support. Would still be a new stadium in an unfamiliar area but could be purpose built.
Where’s the nearest train station to the Brentwood Centre?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1044 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Well, similar to Stratford I suppose :lol:
mushy
Has liked: 659 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Coops wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 pm Cheers for the info.
I read about Hills pushing to get areas changed to being considered London in a small book about the history of Thames Ironworks. I'm not sure what happened to the book (probably up in the loft), but I believe the Ironworks site was at the mouth of River Lea at Bow Creek. Maybe the area was Poplar or maybe he was just unsuccessful.
There were quite a few metropolitan boroughs under the control of The London County Council prior to 1965.
Unfortunately neither East Ham or West Ham were amongst them, both being Essex County Council.
The only area of Newham that came under the old LCC was North Woolwich, which was then part of the London Borough of Woolwich and part of the LCC.
Try telling any Canning Townies that they arent Londoners though!
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

There's nothing wrong with Stratford, just the stadium. I'm sure we could find a bit of space in the Queen Elizabeth Park for a 40,000 seater stadium, including some safe standing room. They can blow up the OS and turn it into more community football pitches.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I prefer they just blow it up !
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

Pentonville wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:34 pm There's nothing wrong with Stratford, just the stadium. I'm sure we could find a bit of space in the Queen Elizabeth Park for a 40,000 seater stadium, including some safe standing room. They can blow up the OS and turn it into more community football pitches.
One question, what is your proposal for allocating season tickets in 40,000 seat stadium given that there would only be about 36,000 available? Who of the current ticket holders misses out? I am not averse to your proposal but can see some logistical issues.
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 702 likes

Post by Pob! »

Pentonville wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:34 pm There's nothing wrong with Stratford, just the stadium. I'm sure we could find a bit of space in the Queen Elizabeth Park for a 40,000 seater stadium, including some safe standing room. They can blow up the OS and turn it into more community football pitches.
I'd love to see it blown up or knocked down however any stadium we do build (hypothetically) would need to be considerably more than 40k.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

There were quite a few metropolitan boroughs under the control of The London County Council prior to 1965.
Unfortunately neither East Ham or West Ham were amongst them, both being Essex County Council.
The only area of Newham that came under the old LCC was North Woolwich, which was then part of the London Borough of Woolwich and part of the LCC.
[/quote]

They had the Essex Arms pub to remind them that they were in Old Essex.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

James P wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:10 am Where’s the nearest train station to the Brentwood Centre?
Shenfield: 1 km as the crow flies. Which you'd also have to, to get there.
Brentwood/Harold Wood a bit further but all on Crossrail when it eventually arrives.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

reo_coker20 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:56 pm Sent the club a email about Liverpool there looking into it and will be revoking there tickets, might be seen as grassing but I’m sick of away supporters in our ground. I hate the stadium anyway this just tops it off I’ve had opposition supporters near me nearly every home game this year
There were 83 ejections at the Liverpool home match last season - could be more this time if our support point them out.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by James P »

Albie Beck wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:56 pm Shenfield: 1 km as the crow flies. Which you'd also have to, to get there.
Brentwood/Harold Wood a bit further but all on Crossrail when it eventually arrives.
Harold Wood? That’s about six miles away!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

southendmadhammer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:13 pm Had a liverpool fan sat next to me at the fixture last season in 236 and took great delight in getting them turfed out when they started celebrating Mane's goal. They were absolutely everywhere then and will be even more so this time around.

For the avoidance of doubt, the club don't care who fills the bowl - as long as they are paying for a ticket, it could be Millwall fans as far as they are concerned.
It's gonna be bad this time, so many on ticket trader for sale,
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

mushy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 pm There were quite a few metropolitan boroughs under the control of The London County Council prior to 1965.
Some people won't have it and I then proceed to tell them they ain't Cockneys neither

Dear Donald Nuke the OS Ta
mushy
Has liked: 659 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

There is not a hope in hell that they would give us any space in The Queen Elizabeth Park
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

there should be cup crowds at league games.

the OS is ***** and there are probably going to be a good couple of thousand away supporters dotted around the home end for big games anyway, so why not make the most of it and push for 15% attendance at away games so more can get a proper WHU experience?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Albie Beck wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:56 pm Shenfield: 1 km as the crow flies. Which you'd also have to, to get there.
I see you didn't get an A in geography AB
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Wembley1966 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:41 pm There were 83 ejections at the Liverpool home match last season - could be more this time if our support point them out.

I sent a tweet to PC Sheldon last season about reports of Liverpool fans having easy access to tickets in the home end and got a condescending reply that it was just internet rumour and that he "was sure the ticket office had it under control"
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Mega Ron wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:34 pm I see you didn't get an A in geography AB
:D
Funnily enough it is one of my A-levels tho'... However the Earth has undergone a lot of change since then :lol:
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

We could easily develop it into a proper stadium.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

kev wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:03 pm We could easily develop it into a proper stadium.
We could if we had a sugar daddy. But we have got a couple of spivs instead.

Edit: Some of those stadiums in that video look amazing. Here's what you could have won folks