Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Up the Junction »

Duly upgraded to KUMB's articles section - fantastic piece, TOME:

The next level and the London Stadium match day experience (by The Old Mile End)
https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=43739
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Some excellent, thought provoking posts on here these past couple of pages, which resonate with many of us. Old MiIe End and E17, your posts are spot on. Sicknote, you sure as hell saw what was coming didn't you.

I'm done after this season too. I genuinely do not know what it would take for me to ever go back either as Gold, Sullivan and Brady have done way too much irreversible damage. But even if they were to sell up, we are still left as tenants in a stadium that is not fit for purpose, in an area we do to want to be in, nor one where we are wanted.

My first game was in late 1969 as a nipper with my Dad. Went though the 70s/80s/90s with mates before first taking my lad in 2003, just before his 5th Birthday. It has become our "thing", like so many other families. That time together, home, away,the highs and the lows are precious. But as of the end of this season we will find something else to do that will take its place. They cannot take our memories, but those memories, the good ones, are all from the old place.

The Olympic stadium has never felt like home, it never will. I was a reluctant mover, I hated it from the minute I first entered and that feeling has worsened with each game.

West Ham London, and the vile threesome that currently preside over it, is not for me
OFT
Has liked: 3233 likes
Total likes: 1848 likes

Post by OFT »

Superb posts here not least from Old Mile End and e17.

Heartbreaking.
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

Mile End, as a West Londoner who used to feel all of that excitement coming across London to the Boleyn, you absolutely nailed it mate. My first game was Palace away in 1971, my first home game was Aston Villa 1976 (I used to play on Saturdays and my Dad - a rugby man - was put off by the violence he saw in 1971). I was at Wembley in 75 and 80. From there, I remember 1985-86 and the excitement and expectation were just indescribable, especially with what we've seen since.

The buzz, then the roar when Dev turned defence into attack. Wardy menacing the wing. Gale stroking the ball out defence, Georgee being willed on to shoooooot. The agony of Chelsea at home. The elation of the Ipswich penalty. All within touching distance, all under the lights, all standing. The knees up all the way up Green Street after Newcastle, I'll never forget. Expecting to win - every game - players who put in a shift. McAvennie and Cottee - knowing we would score. Orr - yes, Orr and Dickens keeping things moving. p****, Tonka, Stretch and the colossus Phil Parkes.

Mile End - there's a lot of s*** on this site, but you elevated this thread like a Brooking pass behind the defender into the path of Pop Robson who passed the ball into the net. Simple. Effective. Evocative. Well done, and sincere thanks for articulating what I've experienced when I've crossed the Atlantic to watch my team in this stadium.

Fortune is truly hiding at this moment in time . . . .
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Bonzos4Lagers wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:09 am p****, Tonka, Stretch and the colossus Phil Parkes.
Poor old Geoff. Still being unsung..
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Sicknote 👍

Bang on mate.

Although I did believe some of the hyperbole I must admit, especially about investment and retractable seating. Why wouldn't we?

Makes the deceit all the worse. What a shame.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Great post The Old Mile End.
Heart breaking as it not only tell's you as it is in this present day, but what it used to be like.
But in a way it is also inspiring.
These shysters still after 10 years don't know what we are all about. But they will soon, and it's coming. :crest:
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I watched the excellent Iron Men film last night for the first time which made me sad for what has replaced what we had. It was interesting though to hear Sullivan back then admit the extra revenue would only be "another £10-15m" per season but it would be the size of the stadium that would attract better foreign players.

I guess if your scouting and recruitment policy remains a joke though, none of he rest really matters.

I can't believe we aren't odds on to go down. It will take a miracle to keep us up I think.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 972 likes

Post by e17 »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:27 am I watched the excellent Iron Men film last night for the first time
That film makes me want to punch things. I’ve never been able to get past the scene with Gold talking to the market sellers on Green Street.
e17

Post by e17 »

Someone should do a follow up to that film called “lollipop men” - with a C&B Stop/Go sign replacing the irons on the cover and the first scene Mark Noble going on about circus’
rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Absolutely incredible post Old mile end .Thank you That encapsulated everything I feel too.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

e17 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 am Someone should do a follow up to that film called “lollipop men” - with a C&B Stop/Go sign replacing the irons on the cover and the first scene Mark Noble going on about circus’
:thup:
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

e17 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 am Someone should do a follow up to that film called “lollipop men” - with a C&B Stop/Go sign replacing the irons on the cover and the first scene Mark Noble going on about circus’
We pitched a two year project, last year at UP first year at LS, they turned us down and let the Ironmen guys do theirs because Sully had an interest in the distribution company that financed it.

Great post earlier, your to TOME, hits all the right notes.
e17

Post by e17 »

Estuary - you ought to do a kickstarter or crowd source job and make that film now mate - something like that could really open a few media eyes :thup:
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Were a production company E17, got to much on currently to consider a speculative project.
But I think TOME’s post is an outline for a new “supporters” focused follow up if anyone has the time, it encapsulates so many individual points that I hear from many many supporters. It’s also very well written.
If a high profile company took it on that would put serious pressure on the three stooges.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

after two games at the dump in a week following a period of 2 months without going I decided on Saturday evening whilst sitting in my white seat that I wont be coming back this season .
hate everything about our matchday experience and that is what has done it for me not the poor football we are playing; we have done that plenty of times over the years I have being going.

so no more stratford station
no more soulless walks to the stadium
no more attending an event at a neutral venue
no more awful food and drink prices and quality, although I never purchased from the dump
no more popcorn munchers
no more tourists
no more views from far away seats on scaffolding
no more being sung at you`re not west ham anymore, sold your soul for this shitehole
no more long walk back with stop/go boards

I will watch from my sofa . part of my life has gone with the realisation that west ham united died in May 2016 and no matter how much I kid myself it is no longer fun to go. I don't look forward to any part of it now. time to hang up my scarf.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

That's an excellent idea E17.

Interviews with the business owners who have had to shut up shop, the operators who have been priced out a pitch at the site.

The Boleyn Phoenix, the non-retractable seating, Gold claims we wouldn't move if the views weren't comparable - Pretty much anything attributed to "world-class players, for a world-class stadium"

There is so much to pull apart.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Thank you Old Mile End for your brilliant analysis of the west ham way both old and new.

What desperate times it is to be a west ham fan.
I came down on Saturday for my first game this season,
complete non event on the pitch and completely flat in the stadium, thank god West Brom fans sang their songs loud and proud
I was hoping to get my old passion juices flowing again, but it wasn't to be.
Probably the most sterile home fan atmosphere I have experienced ever at a football match.
I live in Lincoln and will be at Lincoln city 2 home games this week
I can promise you the atmosphere will be loud and proud and a footballing experience not to be missed.
I only wish I could get those times at west ham. But im afraid I don't think we ever will again.
I love West Ham I always have
But I don't like her anymore
e17

Post by e17 »

simonirons wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:28 am That's an excellent idea E17.

Interviews with the business owners who have had to shut up shop, the operators who have been priced out a pitch at the site.

The Boleyn Phoenix, the non-retractable seating, Gold claims we wouldn't move if the views weren't comparable - Pretty much anything attributed to "world-class players, for a world-class stadium"

There is so much to pull apart.
:thup:
The Old Mile End’s post has given anyone planning on media etc a genuine narrative blueprint to use and follow.

The one part that’s truly tragic is that I know a couple of the old lot who used to run shops down the Barking Road via my grandparents being regulars on quiet weekdays - Both their shops now gone - a direct result of loss of trade from WHU on matchdays...

and yet both of these wonderful people in question STILL didn’t have a bad word to say about anything to do with this club, even at the point of selling up and shutting down.

Tracking some of the old lot might be a ball ache in itself
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Outstanding post, Old Mile End. Best I've read on here in a very long time. You've summed up perfectly how so many disillusioned Hammers currently feel about it all. :thup: