Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Pop Robson »

SEAHammer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:02 am I know a corporate group that have a 'lounge' deal got an invite a while back but couldn't make it, they will take clients to Darkhorse (never heard of it but is quite close I'm told) then chauffeur them to the ground just before kick-off, despite having paid for all the pre-match stuff they bin-it and pay again for a posh restaurant - that says it all. Needless to say they won't be renewing their two year deal, not sure but I believe it was over 50k for 8 people. Anyone want to take it on?
Similar story from a mate that does work for for a medium sized company. Owner of company is a big long time WHU fan, got the same sort of deal you mention and they also go elsewhere to as the meal is apparnwtly bit like an unmarket spoons and he won't take top end clients to eat there.

Offered me seats for free for Leicester I declined as I was away, but next time I'll give it try
LOS

Post by LOS »

goa127 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:39 pm Why is someone who wasn't a ST holder at Upton Park less of a supporter? It's the old 'you're not a REAL supporter stuff again. I'm gonna be a bit self-indulgent now and tell you my credentials.
COYI
Goa,

Apologies my friend if my post offended, that was not the intention. I fully recognise the opportunity the larger capacity OS gave genuine West Ham supporters. My group took certainly advantage. Didn't mean to dig out any individuals. You and your family clearly bleed claret and blue.

I was merely trying to highlight IMO the OS sells out because its cheap. Also, IMO, the board sell out 90% + capacity to STH, because that’s the only way they will fill the place. And because its so cheap (and IMO awful) its easily affordable to give it a swerve (particularly those £5 a go kids tickets.) That’s why there’s so many empty seats each game. If it was populated by of % STH and priced as per Upton Park, it would show a tragic alternate reality. This is all underpinned by the threat of this fictitious / fraudulent waiting list. Its keeps people coming back for more for fear of losing out. But its relatively cheap so you might as well. Its bloody genius how they keep it all from unravelling.

I was trying to have a pop at GSB's ‘fill the stadium’ fatten up the goose strategy (not organically through a successful team) but through manipulating their own fanbase. I sincerely wasn't trying to have a pop at our own supporters
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

It's true the cheap children's seats do sometimes get left empty. My son-in-law has two of them and the youngest doesn't often go, however it does allow us to use it for an upgrade for any extra adults who want to come. (my older son is sometimes there). The whole 'audience' is different from when I started going, but that's modern football. If you were to rely on a traditional supporter base you would indeed only have 30,000 fans.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

We’ve got rib man and the balti pies but little else I’d call edible or worth talking about at the OS... spurs have Beavertown brewery. That alone smashes our drinks choice out of the park.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm We’ve got rib man and the balti pies but little else I’d call edible or worth talking about at the OS... spurs have Beavertown brewery. That alone smashes our drinks choice out of the park.
The days of being able to make comparisons with the Spuds are long gone. Sad to say they're streets ahead of us on every level.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Thanks to SEAHammer for his very interesting post about pricing and match day profits for clubs. However, while comparing WHU average season ticket prices to Arsenal and Spurs does make it look like they are comparatively cheap, across the PL as a whole this season we have the 9th highest average pricing (https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/07/04/ra ... 920-season). Given that the owners pay a paltry rent and don't own the stadium so don't have to pay for repairs etc, catering etc , they have been laughing all the way to the bank for the past three and half seasons. They can get out of investing in the stadium as they don't own it. I think my £800 Band 2 ST is plenty for distance from the playing area (and I'm one of the nearer ones in the 40th Row in the West Stand, there are about the same number again behind me, and the generally crap state of the stadium (Wifi excepted !!).

As for spending money at the stadium, not a cent has been handed over by myself sicne the move, but then again that was also true for UP. On the other hand, the Black Lion in Plaistow gets at least £20 off me for most 3pm games. If we were to put good quality ale in the stadium bars, and they had enough staff and a places to rest your pint, i still wouldn't drink there.
MadaHammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by MadaHammer »

Great post from SEAHammer.

Spurs have gone towards the US model and have tried to accommodate the NFL fan. For anyone who has ever been to a US sports event (I'm thinking NFL primarily but it also applies to the NBA to a lesser extent) the whole event is about the experience.

There are loads of cool food and drink stands. You can get a variety of different types of food and it's all good quality and fun. There are different interactive things to see and do, there are shops on the stadium concourse. Even outside the ground in the car park you have the tailgate parties. Everyone is in a good mood and you can spend far longer than you can at the Olympic stadium. You'd probably spend 50% of the cost of the ticket on food every time you went due to the experience.

Compare that to the Olympic stadium. The first time I ever went I bought my son and I some food and drink which came to about £30 and I said never again as the quality was so poor. Since that day I've perhaps bought 5 beers in the 3 seasons we have been there. Everything about the experience is poor from the queues, the lack of choice, the miserable and incapable people serving the food and drink. You can see from the queues getting in/out of the stadium, everyone turns up as close to kick off as they dare and can't wait to get away from the place.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

goa127 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:08 pm ...but that's modern football.
Ah, that phrase...

Renting an events stadium and alienating half your existing supporter base was a choice made.

See Everton.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I agree no one wants to get in early or stay behind at the bowl as it is so unfriendly towards fans.

then add in that the food is overpriced and awful . the beer is overpriced and served in a cold uninviting concourse by zombies and there is no wonder we don't spend much at the stadium.

far better to support local pubs in the stratford Plaistow upton park area and local food outlets.

the bull and carpenters is cheaper , more welcoming and better atmosphere than a cold windswept concourse. £5-6 for a bottle of beer as oppsed to £4 in a nice warm pub ! no brainer.

spoons up the road for food and I am sorted. prett/sainsburys for some half time food/treats. sorted

don't give the shysters a penny more than the cost of your ticket !
I used to enjoy the matchday experience the build up to a game the walk past stalls to the ground. That has all gone. it is a quick in and out watch the crap team and get out of the place !
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by War Pony »

London Stadium owner and operator, E20, has seen its losses rise by more than £4m (€4.7m/$5.3m) to £27.082m.

E20’s financial status has been revealed after it submitted its financial report for the full year ending March 31, 2019, to Companies House earlier this month. While E20’s group loss for 2019 stood at £28.273m, the entity loss of £27.082m compared to 2018’s loss of £22.755m.

On January 21, 2019, E20, a wholly-owned subsidiary of London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC), took control of stadium operator, London Stadium 185 Limited (LS185), by purchasing its share capital, in full, from previous owner, Vinci Stadium.

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2020 ... n-stadium/
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am I agree no one wants to get in early or stay behind at the bowl as it is so unfriendly towards fans.

then add in that the food is overpriced and awful . the beer is overpriced and served in a cold uninviting concourse by zombies and there is no wonder we don't spend much at the stadium.

far better to support local pubs in the stratford Plaistow upton park area and local food outlets.

the bull and carpenters is cheaper , more welcoming and better atmosphere than a cold windswept concourse. £5-6 for a bottle of beer as oppsed to £4 in a nice warm pub ! no brainer.

spoons up the road for food and I am sorted. prett/sainsburys for some half time food/treats. sorted

don't give the shysters a penny more than the cost of your ticket !
I used to enjoy the matchday experience the build up to a game the walk past stalls to the ground. That has all gone. it is a quick in and out watch the crap team and get out of the place !
AS discussed previously it is a summer stadium. When the sun is out the area outside the stadium where the live singer is, or the DJ/ band bit near block 137 is a decent place to have a beer pre or post match.

Unfortunately it doesn't hold so much appeal in winter!
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm Ah, that phrase...

Renting an events stadium and alienating half your existing supporter base was a choice made.

See Everton.
100% agree. Everton do indeed have different plans. Everton have had different plans for at least 20 years now. Be great for them if they ever get there, perhaps they can buck the trend
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm Renting an events stadium and alienating half your existing supporter base was a choice made
By 85% apparently!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 779 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

quite like to see how a poll about whether moving to the OS was the right idea would shake out.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 pm Unfortunately it doesn't hold so much appeal in winter!
And apart from some warm days in Aug, Apr & May, football pretty much, is a 'Winter sport'.
As cricket, is a Summer sport.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:23 pm quite like to see how a poll about whether moving to the OS was the right idea would shake out.
I might be wrong but wasn't a poll done on here a couple of seasons back and the result was roughly 1/3rd dislike, 1/3rd like, 1/3rd neutral. My memory might be incorrect on this but that pretty much ties in with people I know. The problem really is that the third of the people who dislike it REALLy dislike it
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

goa127 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:30 pm I might be wrong but wasn't a poll done on here a couple of seasons back and the result was roughly 1/3rd dislike, 1/3rd like, 1/3rd neutral. My memory might be incorrect on this but that pretty much ties in with people I know. The problem really is that the third of the people who dislike it REALLy dislike it
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169848
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I’d guess since then the ‘happy’ figure is even lower and the ‘unhappy’ figure even higher.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

and to add a bit of balance to the vote ...

sanchoz wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 pm Sean Wheatstone has started a similar poll on Twitter so will be interesting to see the result of that poll as well

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 779 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

feel like we need a new one to see if we can hit that magic 85% for their ten year anniversary.