Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by hammerman11 »

the easy way is to not buy the over priced beer and food. simples !

the whole stadium is an example on how not to run a football ground. This is evidenced by the bowl being regularly voted the worst ground and by everton usin g it as a guide on what not to do with their new stadium !

says it all really ! hate the place, will never be our home in its current format!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

brownout wrote:On Saturday my search consisted of a pat of pockets and no check as to what was in them.
No check in my bag so they didn't find the third of a water melon that I had within it.
I'm gradually increasing the size of fruit taken into games.
No problems last season with -

grape
satsuma
apple
orange
potato
onion
grapefruit
bag of 9 satsumas
bunch of bananas
It's when you try to get the market stall through security that the trouble will start :D
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

brownout wrote:On Saturday my search consisted of a pat of pockets and no check as to what was in them.
No check in my bag so they didn't find the third of a water melon that I had within it.
I'm gradually increasing the size of fruit taken into games.
No problems last season with -
grape
satsuma
apple
orange
potato
onion
grapefruit
bag of 9 satsumas
bunch of bananas
You wait 'til you have your plums felt...
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

New training for the stewards to cope with brownout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvo2w7p3ek8

Colonel (Graham Chapman): Right. Carry on

Sergeant Major!

Sergeant (John Cleese, shouting throughout): Right sir! Good evening, class.

All (mumbling): Good evening.

Sargeant: Where's all the others, then?

All: They're not here.

Sgt.: I can see that. What's the matter with them?

All: Dunno.

Chapman (member of class): Perhaps they've got 'flu.

Sgt.: Huh! 'Flu, eh? They should eat more fresh fruit. Ha. Right. Now, self-defence. Tonight I shall be carrying on from where we got to last week when I was showing you how to defend yourselves against anyone who attacks you with armed with a piece of fresh fruit.

(Grumbles from all)

Palin: Oh, you promised you wouldn't do fruit this week.

Sgt.: What do you mean?

Jones: We've done fruit the last nine weeks.

Sgt.: What's wrong with fruit? You think you know it all, eh?

Palin: Can't we do something else for a change?

Idle (Welsh): Like someone who attacks you with a pointed stick?

Sgt.: Pointed stick? Oh, oh, oh. We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me! Now, the passion fruit. When your assailant lunges at you with a passion fruit...

All: We done the passion fruit.

Sgt.: What?

Chapman: We done the passion fruit.

Palin: We done oranges, apples, grapefruit...

Jones: Whole and segments.

Palin: Pomegranates, greengages...

Chapman: Grapes, passion fruit...

Palin: Lemons...

Jones: Plums...

Chapman: Mangoes in syrup...

Sgt.: How about cherries?

All: We did them.

Sgt.: Red *and* black?

All: Yes!

Sgt.: All right then, bananas.
@TFSH_WHUFC
Has liked: 2 likes

GSB-How a New Stadium Should Be - EFC New Stadium - Non WHU

Post by @TFSH_WHUFC »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_geNR6L3U

Quite a bit of a watch but hats off to Everton Football Club, they have listened to fans, had proper consultations and come up with what is on this video for fans to review and have further consultation before plans go in end of this year.

Not only are they building a real football stadium, they are also not letting Goodison Park go to greedy developers, instead they plan to regenerate the area and keep GP within the ownership and realm of EFC, a real touching tribute meaning fans can still visit, live, eat and enjoy GP area every day of the year.

This really does put what our supposedly "fan" owners into what they really are............. :thdn:

But 85% of us decided to move to what we have now, if only we had the kind of info EFC have given their fans!!!!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Re: GSB-How a New Stadium Should Be - EFC New Stadium - Non WHU

Post by S-H »

Yeah, but it'll be full of scousers..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I think their stadium looks bland and basic. Closer to the pitch, sure but that's about it, nothing to be super inspired by, like f*** me this is impressive either rocking up or once inside.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

On that point, Colours, I don't find that any new stadium design is particularly inspiring on paper. This is just another brick in the wall of nearly identikit football stadia being built currently that maybe vary by shape and name on the side. The Emirates, The Etihad, Spurs' new gaff, this one - they're almost all one and the same.

Unless you do something like the Kaohsiung National Stadium (Google it, it looks like a snake and is entirely powered by the solar panels on it) nothing is going to be stellar and groundbreaking.

Even something like the Allianz Arena, for all it has a cool concept of the different colour tiles on the exterior, is basically the same shape as any other modern stadium and looks like a white car tyre during the day.

The only thing I really like about the Everton and Spurs grounds are those big single tier home ends.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Mixed feelings, the concept is fine but the realisation of it while looking impressive and approachably compact at some points in the presentation, yet at other moments it appears rather over fussy a fundamentally bland design with some added frills and tricks to try to disguise it. I guess only the real thing in place will give a visitor a true sense of which is the dominant trend here. That said it looks good for the fan.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

For the paltry amount we got for selling our stadium we may as well have kept it.
We could still have moved but kept the old place for the reserves, youths and ladies.
Then hired it out for corporate matches and other events.
If after a period of say five years we thought the OS was never going to work we could have gone back.

All ifs and buts I agree and was never going to happen with the current owners who had tunnel vision and didnt give a single hoot about our history.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote:For the paltry amount we got for selling our stadium we may as well have kept it.
We could still have moved but kept the old place for the reserves, youths and ladies.
Then hired it out for corporate matches and other events.
If after a period of say five years we thought the OS was never going to work we could have gone back.
All ifs and buts I agree and was never going to happen with the current owners who had tunnel vision and didn't give a single hoot about our history.
Far too sensible, mushy.
I think it's fair to wonder about what behind the scenes, dodgy dealings went on.
When you look at what is now built on the old Priory Road bus garage land, you can't help thinking...
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

what's with the metal detector searches?
I was patted down and then had the detector waved over me and they asked "is that your keys and phone in your pocket?"
I said yes and was allowed through, but what if it was a knife or gun?

the guys doing it are friendly enough, just don't really get the point if they are just asking what it is.
was also let through with a full lunchbox of food for the lad, thought they might have told me no to that
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

firstly we should never have left the BG. expand it to 50k would have been great but we are at the bowl now.
Things wont really improve until we own the place and there are no more athletics taking place.
whether sully and gold want to spend the money on making it a home from what is now a neutral venue remains to be seen over the years.

In the meantime I wonder if we could not repaint the white bits claret and replace the white seats with claret seats. little touches which would help us customise the place.

once we own it, within the next 5 years then we need to rebuild the stands . permanenet stands close to the pitch and corporate boxes/hotel roomsbetween the upper tiers and lower ones maybe.

dig down into the contaminate land and seal it off with a concrete memberane then lay the pitch lower to enable the lower tiers to get nearer the pitch.

supporters club to be right outside the bobby moore arena!

Local west ham market place for old memorabilia

If only
@TFSH_WHUFC
Has liked: 2 likes

Re: GSB-How a New Stadium Should Be - EFC New Stadium - Non WHU

Post by @TFSH_WHUFC »

@TFSH_WHUFC wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_geNR6L3U

Quite a bit of a watch but hats off to Everton Football Club, they have listened to fans, had proper consultations and come up with what is on this video for fans to review and have further consultation before plans go in end of this year.

Not only are they building a real football stadium, they are also not letting Goodison Park go to greedy developers, instead they plan to regenerate the area and keep GP within the ownership and realm of EFC, a real touching tribute meaning fans can still visit, live, eat and enjoy GP area every day of the year.

This really does put what our supposedly "fan" owners into what they really are............. :thdn:

But 85% of us decided to move to what we have now, if only we had the kind of info EFC have given their fans!!!!

ADMIN why has this been moved to Olympic Stadium thread? it's a non whu post about EFC new stadium?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1670 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammermann11

:asleep: :asleep: :asleep:
woodford
Has liked: 421 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

Please bare with me on this, its not Stadium or concrete membrane focused...

Anyone watch Capture on BBC1 on Tuesday night??

One scene where they're in a pub ( in Croydon ) , when they come out, by the miracle of science, i think they are at the Carpenters pub ( renamed and rebranded ).

Now Stratford has its faults, but calling it Croydon is bang out of order,

**** me if its not the Carpenters, then one of you guys works for the BBC and has done a painstaking reconstruction. ( my guess would be HM11 with a jumbo airfix pub kit )

Wasn't interesting was it. Fair enough.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Good spot:

JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

You are right, I said it straight away when watching the show.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Anyone else intrigued by hammerman11's concrete memberane? Is it caused by the pat down searches?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

woodford wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:43 pm Please bare with me on this, its not Stadium or concrete membrane focused...

Anyone watch Capture on BBC1 on Tuesday night??

One scene where they're in a pub ( in Croydon ) , when they come out, by the miracle of science, i think they are at the Carpenters pub ( renamed and rebranded ).

Now Stratford has its faults, but calling it Croydon is bang out of order,

**** me if its not the Carpenters, then one of you guys works for the BBC and has done a painstaking reconstruction. ( my guess would be HM11 with a jumbo airfix pub kit )

Wasn't interesting was it. Fair enough.
Plus the bus stop is Olympic Park, which I think was in Strike too