Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'll say it really quietly, but I think our home ground is becoming a bit of a fortress.

:oops:
Rover's returned
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rover's returned »

First time visit to the OS last night. Never thought I'd ever go.
Transport links (Stratford) to the ground and walk up to the stadium were good. Reminded me of the walk to Stade de France in Paris. Ticket office very efficient, pleasantly surprised. Food OK. Chicken burger and monster hot dog for afters. Good seat on the 6 yard line near the away support. Tin hat on but it was better than I expected, probably helped by the fact that we played well and it was against Liverpool.

It is a long, long way from the pitch though. Further even than I expected. Far removed from the chicken run. Scaffolding upon which the temporary seats are fixed made me laugh. So West Ham.

Getting back to Stratford was dandy until the left hand turn towards the stadium. We didnt move for about 30 minutes. Crowd were very patient. The queues at Upton Park were pretty bad though.

Felt sorry for the stewards, though I don't know why. They all looked a bit downtrodden to me.

I'll probably go again in 3 years time. When GSB sell up and new owners build a proper football stadium, I'll start to go again more regularly.
SoCal Hammer
Total likes: 1 like

Post by SoCal Hammer »

Rover's returned wrote:
Felt sorry for the stewards, though I don't know why. They all looked a bit downtrodden to me.
Probably because most of them are Liverpool fans!
OrrMakesItThree
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by OrrMakesItThree »

I know I'm not the first to say this but the 'Stop/Go' is becoming a farce. What is the point of holding people by the Pret if they are only going to catch the group in front up 150 yards down the road at the traffic lights!!! If they are really trying to limit the flow of people into the stadium surely just one set of signs closer to the station would have the same effect.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by Rio »

My search last night was borderline sexual assault. Unnecessary touch of my tinkle, made to unzip jacket and a puzzled look at an ipod classic

And the guy giving a cursory wave a the paddle to moving punters, really isn't effective. A job however at Heathrow or Gatwick directing aircraft awaits
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Rio wrote:My search last night was borderline sexual assault. Unnecessary touch of my tinkle, made to unzip jacket and a puzzled look at an ipod classic

And the guy giving a cursory wave a the paddle to moving punters, really isn't effective. A job however at Heathrow or Gatwick directing aircraft awaits
For the umpteenth time I got a fist in the face as the bloke in front raised his arms for his search, me having been searched already by the first steward.
MilkyBarKid16
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by MilkyBarKid16 »

Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

It had been getting better recently, but last night was the worst it has been for ages.probably because more people stayed until the end. One thing is clear, the system can’t cope with the increased capacity.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I'll say it really quietly, but I think our home ground is becoming a bit of a fortress.

:oops:
As in a pain in the arse to access across the moats?
ornchurch ammer

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?
Leave a speed boat moored up on one the rivers. Home in no time.
ornchurch ammer

OrrMakesItThree wrote:I know I'm not the first to say this but the 'Stop/Go' is becoming a farce. What is the point of holding people by the Pret if they are only going to catch the group in front up 150 yards down the road at the traffic lights!!! If they are really trying to limit the flow of people into the stadium surely just one set of signs closer to the station would have the same effect.
Apparently a mate of mine had words with someone after the game yesterday who claimed that the Stop/Go boards are necessary to prevent another Hillsborough. How would that happen? :lol:
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

MilkyBarKid16 wrote:Does anyone have an alternative route for leaving the stadium and getting to Stratford than being stuck for 30 minutes when turning right? Is it possible to leave the site via another route?
Not that I want to advertise it but...

Pudding Mill Lane has no queues Stratford bound (and not much going the other way) and lets you bypass the nonsense with the 'stop/go' boards.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

OrrMakesItThree wrote:I know I'm not the first to say this but the 'Stop/Go' is becoming a farce. What is the point of holding people by the Pret if they are only going to catch the group in front up 150 yards down the road at the traffic lights!!! If they are really trying to limit the flow of people into the stadium surely just one set of signs closer to the station would have the same effect.
Its the crush of people around the station that they are trying to avoid, specifically there must always be enough room for the Westfield shoppers to be able to access the station without getting trampled underfoot.

The reason that they have multiple stop/go points is because it is easier to control five different sets of 3,000 people then one set of 15,000 people. You wouldnt really expect to have everyone in one big bottleneck outside Stratford station would you? Health and Safety does sometimes make sense(whisper it quietly).
mushy

Post by mushy »

Big George wrote:It had been getting better recently, but last night was the worst it has been for ages.probably because more people stayed until the end. One thing is clear, the system can’t cope with the increased capacity.
We are in the first tranche of people able to leave the stadium and we still got stopped three times on the way back to the station. Probably around a 20 minute walk.
Crowd were in good humour, probably because of the match and the weather.
Imagine standing there for 30 mins in a freezing blizzard or a monsoon.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

go to pudding mill lane and catch the dlr back the other way ;-)
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

mushy wrote:Its the crush of people around the station that they are trying to avoid, specifically there must always be enough room for the Westfield shoppers to be able to access the station without getting trampled underfoot.

The reason that they have multiple stop/go points is because it is easier to control five different sets of 3,000 people then one set of 15,000 people. You wouldnt really expect to have everyone in one big bottleneck outside Stratford station would you? Health and Safety does sometimes make sense(whisper it quietly).
A fair point mushy, but the Stop/Go by Pret prevents everyone from turning left towards Stratford International or turning right towards the Underground. I can't help but think the better thing would be to split the group, then Stop/Go. Considering that happens anyway, after the big Stop/Go by Pret. It's overkill and literally causes huge surges of people in groups instead of trickling through. It's like causing huge queues of traffic by inserting a **** load of traffic lights.
OrrMakesItThree

mushy wrote:

But after being stopped four or five times last night we still ended up in a big bottle neck outside Stratford station.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

OrrMakesItThree wrote: But after being stopped four or five times last night we still ended up in a big bottle neck outside Stratford station.
Remember when we used to just queue for ages at Upton Park and nobody cared and it was never complained about? Those were the days.

I chuckle sometimes imagining Stop/Go signs down Green Street :lol:
mushy

Post by mushy »

OrrMakesItThree wrote:
But after being stopped four or five times last night we still ended up in a big bottle neck outside Stratford station.
But surely you can see that its a better idea then having the entire crowd pushing and shoving near the station?
What would your alternative plan be?
OrrMakesItThree

mushy wrote:
But surely you can see that its a better idea then having the entire crowd pushing and shoving near the station?
What would your alternative plan be?
I do see that and I don't think anyone expects to make the station without breaking stride but if people have already been stopped four or five times and it's taking 30 to 40 minutes to make the station frustration is inevitable. As somebody has already said I'd have one set by the traffic lights with another set before the station entrance....possibly at the point the two streams over the bridge merge so you alternate the flow into the station.