Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by The Old Mile End »

Doc H Ball wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:04 am ‘This vast athletics enclosure... troubles and triumphs are associated with this enclosure but, somehow, West Ham never succeeded there as it is once thought they would’..

Syd King, 1905
Spot on. Brilliant doc.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:04 am ‘This vast athletics enclosure... troubles and triumphs are associated with this enclosure but, somehow, West Ham never succeeded there as it is once thought they would’..

Syd King, 1905

I was always aginst the move to upton park :lol:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Syd King, 1905
History repeating itself, when will West Ham learn
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

1st October Stadium Safety Advisory Group meeting minutes now out:
Persistent Standing

E20 verified that there are barriers in the front of the upper tiers and there has been no review of any
engineering solution similar to Spurs. Members continued discussion and confirmed that they will take it into
consideration.

15 July 19
It was noted that E20 will be giving a demonstration to the certifying authority of new barriers they would like to
trial.

1 October 19 - update
First draft of the plan was due in August, LS185 to submit.
4. Events Update – Strategic Actions and Learnings

West Ham v Athletico Bilbao – Saturday 3 August 2019
Pre-season tournament which was well attended. No major issues noted, two political messages on flags were confiscated. Some issues with away fans noted.

West Ham v Man City – Saturday 10 August 2019
No major issues arose it was noted that egress was longer than usual. Transport messaging discussed. Long term coach parking plan to be reviewed going forward.

West Ham v Norwich City – Saturday 31 August 2019
A few drugs presentations amongst away fans and a steward assaulted at this fixture which were all dealt with effectively. No prior police intelligence noted. Non credible threat to WSC along with imprecise and delayed comms that arose discussed and resolved.

West Ham v Man United – Sunday 22 September 2019
Highest attendance game recorded at the London Stadium. Some drugs presentations on away fans. Assault on a steward on the bridge still under investigation. Partners discussed long term audio plans for steward body cams.

Discussions continued evaluating messaging/comms pertaining to class A drugs. It was noted that WHU and LS185 all have the zero tolerance rules on their website. MPS shared their summary on the fixtures and plans going forward in relation to assaults on stewards and class A drugs.

John Newcombe (Newham) informed the group that a fire safety audit is currently being undertaken and a response and final summation will be discussed with Vinci when completed.
7. Persistent Standing Plan
Persistent standing draft plan still to be received by LBN.

Lou Elliston (SGSA) informed partners that they will be risk assessing the persistent standing on Saturday 5 October. Sheila Roberts (LBN) added that there are two separate issues; home and away (lower tier and upper tier on 217).

Jason Eglash (LS185) confirmed that they are working closely with the club on proactive messaging on persistent standing in certain areas. In the upper tier, the first two rows have been covered over in the away end to prevent progressive crowd collapse.

Lou Elliston (SGSA) acknowledged the challenges of persistent standing but noted that other grounds do not have the same issues as West Ham with standing in the upper tiers. Evidence needs to be shown that the club have taken all possible actions to mitigate against persist standing. The SGSA will also be carrying out a peer review of all football stadiums and share their findings. Sheila Roberts (LBN) recommended that video evidence of the risk and dynamics of persistent standing be prepared by the SGSA.

LS185 gave an outline of their persistent standing policy which included stewards walking up and down the aisles every ten minutes requesting fans to sit down, proactive planning during the game, front guarding and working with the club to take further action against persistent standers.

WHU shared their seating plan and are working on a long term strategy. Peter Swordy (LS185) added that support from the Premier League taking a firmer stance on persistent standing and messaging would be a more determined solution. The persistent standing policy in the operations manual
needs updating.

The SGSA reminded the club that there are technical solutions available and it may be prudent for WHU/LS185 to view options that would suit this stadium. Sheila Roberts (LBN) requested a best practice guide be shared by the SGSA.
8. Application to increase capacity to 62,500

LBN informed partners that there will be an application for a revised Safety Certificate and once submitted it will be discussed further at a SAG. LBN reminded the group that the Safety Certificate only covers the island however partners will still need to ensure plans and contingencies are in place for egress and transport. Discussions are ongoing with the planning authority.
9. Any other safety related business
Block 221 Family Plan - WHU

The club confirmed that they are looking to introduce the family seating in block 221 in October as discussed. Copy of the plan to be shared with LBN.
Official Spectators Fan Forum

SRO reminded partners attending the forums that any learnings and issues taken from these meetings can be brought to the SAG.
https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Bus ... er2019.pdf
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

An Arsenal fan got 2 flairs in, they were lit after each of their first 2 goals (the bloke must have been carrying them for weeks).

I went with Mrs Coops last night, we approached by the big red climbing frame thingy. The steward wanted to tip Mrs Coops water away. I said that we always take water in, but he wasn't having it. So I said we wont bother with this entrance. We went to the next bridge along and both walked in with water and lids in tact.
So if you don't like what a steward says, pick another bridge and try again.

On a positive note, it was good to have Cetreforce DJing on the outside bar, reminded me of my misspent youth.
LOS

Post by LOS »

Coops wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am
On a positive note, it was good to have Cetreforce DJing on the outside bar, reminded me of my misspent youth.
reminded me of a split fan base and a failed march.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

LOS wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:35 am reminded me of a split fan base and a failed march.
Maybe that was part of the deal, call off the march and you can DJ at the ground.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Searches took forever again yesterday, I counted around 35 minutes from getting off the train at Stratford to seat in block 114 that was at about 7PM we arrived into Stratford, its just not good enough! Must remember to go to one of the other bridges in the future not the main ones.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 am Searches took forever again yesterday, I counted around 35 minutes from getting off the train at Stratford to seat in block 114 that was at about 7PM we arrived into Stratford, its just not good enough! Must remember to go to one of the other bridges in the future not the main ones.
Agree. It's getting ridiculous now and the worst thing about visiting the stadium. The one next to the club shop is horrendous, I was waiting for 25 minutes yesterday to get through which meant missing 5 minutes of the game when it could have been a lot quicker. Really need to iron out a proper process for this.

When it's pissing it down, it hardly gets the supporters up for the game...makes me want to turn around and go home.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 am Searches took forever again yesterday, I counted around 35 minutes from getting off the train at Stratford to seat in block 114 that was at about 7PM we arrived into Stratford, its just not good enough! Must remember to go to one of the other bridges in the future not the main ones.
London Stadium

@LondonStadium
·
17h

Enhanced search measures have been put in place in light of the recent events at London Bridge. Fans arriving at London Stadium, please expect to be searched on arrival to the venue this evening.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

That's why.
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by Whitters »

^^ I hope everyone left their Narwhal tusks at home
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Yes long delays i had the wand back and front i was carrying a full ruck sack as been to work no one even opened it or looked inside or went over it with the wand
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Bridge 3 at 7:20pm there was only 1 or 2 people queuing in front, very quick pat down and straight through. Quicker than usual as normally have to wait up to a minute there.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 am The one next to the club shop is horrendous, I was waiting for 25 minutes yesterday to get through which meant missing 5 minutes of the game when it could have been a lot quicker.
There are 2 by the Club Shop, not one:
  • 1. (Nearest the club shop entrance) A long walk from Stratford station, always has massive queues
  • 2. (Nearest the club shop exit) A short walk from Pudding Mill Lane, barely any queues, just breeze in
It amazes me the number of people who still choose option #1, when option #2 is so easy - just 1 stop from Stratford on the DLR. :think:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:57 am London Stadium

@LondonStadium
·
17h

Enhanced search measures have been put in place in light of the recent events at London Bridge. Fans arriving at London Stadium, please expect to be searched on arrival to the venue this evening.

Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

That's why.
Yeah I read that and thats why we turned up to Stratford a good 20 minutes before we normally would have done - good job too. Fwiw, my "enhanced search" was no more enhanced than I have received previously at home games, very much a quick pat down as usual. The manager at the club shop bridge was actually telling his staff to just hurry up.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The 'enhanced search measures in light of what happened at London Bridge' didn't prevent an Arsenal supporter bringing in at least two flares. There are Twitter pictures of one being used after the first and second Arsenal goals.
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

WIFC - You can’t always get in via the pudding mill lane entrance, for reasons unknown. As was the case yesterday, no one was let through... ridiculous
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Not worth a thread of its own so I'll put it here

Newcastle offer free half season tickets
Newcastle are offering season ticket holders a free additional half-season ticket to gift to fellow supporters to help fill St James' Park.

Sunday's 2-1 victory over Southampton was Newcastle's lowest home crowd for a Premier League match since November 2010, with 42,303 in attendance.

The free ticket will cover 10 home Premier League games, starting against Everton on 28 December.

Tickets will be available on a first-come first-served basis from Tuesday.

"To have the crowds we have is wonderful and we can't ever take that for granted," said Magpies boss Steve Bruce.

"But the question to all of us at the club is can we pack the stadium to the rafters?

"It starts with results on the pitch, but I hope a gesture like this will help us to fill the place because St James' Park in full voice is a force to be reckoned with."

Newcastle fans held a protest against the ownership of Mike Ashley outside St James' Park before their opening Premier League match against Arsenal this season.
Sullivan is on oxygen after reading this.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

PlaistowIron wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm WIFC - You can’t always get in via the pudding mill lane entrance, for reasons unknown. As was the case yesterday, no one was let through... ridiculous
Eh? I went in that way myself last night, no problem at all :?
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

I was denied at around 7.30... and have been refused previously???

Just when I thought last night couldn’t have got any worse :lol: