The Sam Byram thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Patito

Re: The Sam Byram thread

Post by Patito » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:50 am

Bit crap but he always gave his all, good luck to him.

His best moment here was probably having a hand in setting up Lanzini for his goal against spurs.

MorthwylMawr

Post by MorthwylMawr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 am

Best of luck to Sam, hope the new season and fresh start see him kick on

ereford ammer

Post by ereford ammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:12 am

If he is worth only £1m what will we have to settle for to get rid of Hugill?

NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am

The latest in a long line of little full backs at West Ham who have good technique, great attitude but simply haven't got the strength or class to step up to PL level. Really unlucky with injuries. Hope he kicks on now with Norwich.

GaryP

Post by GaryP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 am

Good luck Sam.

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 am

NW5hammer wrote:The latest in a long line of little full backs at West Ham who have good technique, great attitude but simply haven't got the strength or class to step up to PL level. Really unlucky with injuries. Hope he kicks on now with Norwich.
He's 6' 0" :eh:

Good luck Sam

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:49 am

Not a bad player, but i will be surprised if he makes more than 10 appearances next season

OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Good luck to him. He never got the chance for a proper run in the team, because of his injuries, but when he played he never went hiding.

If he can stay injury-free, I still think that he'll make a decent player for someone. Just not us.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm

NW5hammer wrote:The latest in a long line of little full backs at West Ham who have good technique, great attitude but simply haven't got the strength or class to step up to PL level. Really unlucky with injuries. Hope he kicks on now with Norwich.
Albie Beck wrote: He's 6' 0" :eh:

Good luck Sam
Pretty decent in the air from what I recall, and certainly not lacking strength. He was lacking a bit of ability and a bit of luck.

libero

Post by libero » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:17 pm

The very few times I saw him play I thought he looked like a decent full back in the making, but his injury record put a stop to him making any progress with us - we just can't afford any more players who are injured 80% of the time. I wish him well and if he stays fit I think he could have a decent career.

Interesting to note that he came in for 3.5m and leaves for 750,000 after 3 years as a "PL player", a fact that usually pushes players' transfer values up, rather than down. Is it his injury record than has caused this spectacular depreciation of transfer value, or are we just rubbish at negotiating decent transfer fees for our outgoing players?

Watch something similar happen to Hugill

OFT

Post by OFT » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Disappointed that it hasn't worked out, as I am for most of our signings from lesser leagues, there's something 'old-fashioned' and a little 'romantic' about players stepping up and being successful.. The injury issues mean a permanent move is the best way to give the lad a chance to 'get going' again.

All the best to the lad.

norse

Post by norse » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Wish him the best of luck, he's going to have to step up his game now playing for Norwich in the Premier League.

Never really good enough for this club and very unlucky with injuries, sadly

iLoveLasagne

Post by iLoveLasagne » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm

libero wrote:The very few times I saw him play I thought he looked like a decent full back in the making, but his injury record put a stop to him making any progress with us - we just can't afford any more players who are injured 80% of the time. I wish him well and if he stays fit I think he could have a decent career.

Interesting to note that he came in for 3.5m and leaves for 750,000 after 3 years as a "PL player", a fact that usually pushes players' transfer values up, rather than down. Is it his injury record than has caused this spectacular depreciation of transfer value, or are we just rubbish at negotiating decent transfer fees for our outgoing players?

Watch something similar happen to Hugill
I think in the past PL experience may have counted. Now to most it often means overpriced and poor value. The league is littered with mediocre players on fat contracts which are a millstone around the neck. Max Aarons is first choice RB by some distance I'd say with only 1 year of Championship football behind him. I am quite excited to see how Norwich and Daniel Farke do. There is a lot of youthful dynamism in that side.

Samba

Post by Samba » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:41 pm

norse wrote:Wish him the best of luck, he's going to have to step up his game now playing for Norwich in the Premier League.
Never really good enough for this club and very unlucky with injuries, sadly
Pretty much this.
Wish him all the best.

smuts

Post by smuts » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:36 pm

All the best Sam. Looked a bit shaky when he first turned out for us with his grappling wrestling arms but just as he looked like he was going to kick on the injuries hit. Tore a Hammy doing a diving header which is pretty unheard of.

bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Plenty of potential, stymied by injuries and arguably being played in the wrong position.

Hope we've whacked in a sell-on clause. If he has one good year in the PL at his age his value will rocket.