Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by steveyrockstar »

Is Daniel Sturridge not still available? Would be a great 3rd choice option at this stage.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

oh poo, he moved to Turkey. I completely missed that. No wonder he wasn't being mentioned. He'd have been perfect imo, injury worries or no injury worries.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Shame about Antonio being out as we would have been absolutely fine if he was fit.

If Haller gets injured we could be struggling a little bit, but a club like ours can't afford to have two players on £100k+ a week for one position.

What's the score with Xande Silva? 22 years-old, did well up until his injury last year. Surely he can fill in for the '3rd striker' position whilst Antonio is out, no?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1317 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Turns to Stone wrote: What's the score with Xande Silva? 22 years-old, did well up until his injury last year. Surely he can fill in for the '3rd striker' position whilst Antonio is out, no?
Still recovering from his illness.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

stu1 wrote:If you focus on his games when he’s lead the line away from home then you’ll think he’s crap, but you are completely overlooking the time when he’s best utilised. I’d imagine if we kept him, he’d rarely start but be used off the bench regularly.
Which probably isn't where a 31 year old international footballer wants to be.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Whilst I agree it’s the right thing to sell him I can’t help but feel irritated by the club on this

Apparently he formally asked to leave last Thursday - when Llorente was still a free agent, but reports in Spain suggest Hernandez has been trying to move to a Spanish speaking club all summer. This situation was entirely predictable. We can’t recall Hugill, Diangana etc until January, and Xande isn’t fit until end Oct earliest.

Meanwhile our finances look so positive we could and should have had a contingency plan - we’ll be down to net £22m spend this summer with somewhere between £10m and £15m saved on the annual wagebill. Our turnover will be over £180m if we finish top ten and wages below £100m. Our other commitments are £4m interest (GSB), £3m Stadium and £1m Brady.

I find it difficult too look at our squad and conclude that the manager couldn’t have improved it even further if given another £20m to spend - given his track record in the transfer market for us. It looks like we basically spent this year’s budget last summer and are clawing back the ‘overspend’ to carry on paying down the debt which benefits the owners and the owners only.

Sure it’s easy to feel confident after a good win against newly promoted Norwich with almost everyone fit, it’s a long season though.
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

The biggest surprise for me about all of this is i've just found out Wilfried Bony is still only 30!?

He's never going to re-discover that Swansea form that led to City buying him, but i wouldn't be bothered if we took him till the end of the season on a low wage just to plug that small hole left by Hernandez.

All players pick up knocks. Haller had a knock after the first week which meant he missed 1 game. It would be nice to have a striker to sit on the bench if that happens again. Otherwise
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

wigwig wrote:His all round play was terrible. When he played we played badly. I certainly won't miss him. If you just look at his goal stats it looks like he had a half decent time here, but his link up play was shocking, he's just a crap Gary Linekar.
His all round play isn't terrible. Nor is his link up play. He has a great first touch and is a very good passer. His link up play is decent if he has players supporting him. As he has proved for Mexico for years and in games for us where he has had support from other attacking players such as Newcastle away last season.

I was against his signing in the first place but he won me over and he is a much better all round player than I thought he was.

I get why he wants to leave as he wants to play more football and that is a perfectly good reason so good luck to him.

I do think it is real shame that we can't accommodate a player of his class though. One of the big advantages of getting in Europa League is you can keep more players happy with the extra games
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Its decisions like this that makes us a joke club. The back up to Haller is either unproven or playing out of position.

The owners are feeble minded imbeciles and that's just being kind. Assuming they are aware of the risk it's just a dereliction of duty in terms of running a football club at this level.

Hernandez was an expensive mistake but as already stated to not have sorted this before the transfer window closed is a disgrace.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Can we bring Jordan Hughill back from his loan?

(Asking for a friend)
artlin

Post by artlin »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:
The owners are feeble minded imbeciles and that's just being kind.
Are you referring to our multi millionaire owners. The ones that turn up for matches in the big Rolls Royces. Those owners?

Well, in that case, I am glad that I am also a feeble minded imbecile rather than a brainy clever clogs like so many poor people on here.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Kev59 wrote:Can we bring Jordan Hughill back from his loan?

(Asking for a friend)
Yes, but only if your friend puts him up in the spare bedroom.
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

goof wrote:Once again well and truly shafted by the owners, they have had all summer to get this done, just penny pinching, nothing less. We will never ever amount to anything with this lot at the helm. No progression what so ever since the move. I understand getting shot of a player that doesn't turn up most days & his contract is up soon but you can't deny he does score some goals when needed, the same can be said about Carroll. Haller will get injured we all no that, once again another season full of promise to a season of fighting relegation, thanks.
Not sure I agree with the first part of your post.

The fee we’ll get for Hernandez won’t be anything amazing. And whilst I do agree that this is a bad time to sell leaving us short with only two strikers (considering last season we had 4 and Antonio), I think they did do what they could to try and settle him and keep him at the club. They gave him the no 9 shirt, and Pellegrini made lots of noise about how he was going to be a big part of our plans this season.

I’m actually a bit gutted he’s gone. As a natural finisher feeding off scraps and second balls I thought he was very good, just his hold-up play was probably not enough to lead the line for us. But he has chipped in with some important goals when he’s played.

My personal opinion is we should of kept him until January so we could of brought a replacement in but I would imagine the final decision was down to Pellegrini. And I think he favours squad harmony over keeping hold of a wantaway player.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

If Hernandez going now will make it easier to bring in one more striker and one more central midfielder, then it's definitely been good business.

We all know that our owners don't like doing that in January though and the only way that will happen is if relegation is a realistic threat.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:The back up to Haller is either unproven or playing out of position.

The owners are feeble minded imbeciles and that's just being kind.
The back up to Haller is a 22 year-old striker who scored 60 odd goals for Basel in the past two seasons and who has already represented Switzerland. If he is untested so were players like Diop and Balbuena. Just have to trust that Pele and his team know what they are doing.

As far as I am concerned the third striker is a perfect opportunity for youth or a half decent journeyman. God knows they will get the service from our front players.

Imbeciles :lol: Well, getting rid of Hernandez is a no brainer.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Turns to Stone wrote:Shame about Antonio being out as we would have been absolutely fine if he was fit.

If Haller gets injured we could be struggling a little bit, but a club like ours can't afford to have two players on £100k+ a week for one position.

What's the score with Xande Silva? 22 years-old, did well up until his injury last year. Surely he can fill in for the '3rd striker' position whilst Antonio is out, no?
Let's face facts. If Haller gets injured we will be in deep *****. No two ways about it.
Pob!
Has liked: 1074 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by Pob! »

He doesn't want to be here and a half a million per month is a huge amount of money to be chucking down the drain..
Patito

Post by Patito »

artlin wrote: Are you referring to our multi millionaire owners. The ones that turn up for matches in the big Rolls Royces. Those owners?

Well, in that case, I am glad that I am also a feeble minded imbecile rather than a brainy clever clogs like so many poor people on here.

Us peasants were wondering, what's the MPG like on your Rolls, artlin?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

For Sevilla ?
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Llorente signed for Napoli today. He was the only competent free agent available – I'd not bother bringing in anyone else in now he's gone.