Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by sendô »

for £10m and Sullivan will spunk his pants that it'll all profit
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

think the thing is that you do that in private and defend him in the press.

did Joe Hart get the same coating last week ??

where was the criticism of Arthur for moving off the post for the first goal, despite being stationed there.

or maybe he did both and I missed both of them
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

funky chicken wrote:Perhaps it was just me that thought what Moyes said wasn't bad. Unless I missed another part of the interview...
did he say anything about experienced defenders ****ing up one of the simplest routines in football - staying on the ****ing post?

i agree what he said is nothing outrageous, rice did f*** up after all, and he should be told so.

there are two problems i see with what he said (i could have missed something as well, of course):

- there were many errors and fuckups in that performance. why highlighting one? you say that both young and experienced players have made mistakes today, we were ok but undone by too many mistakes in the end etc.

- did he single out hart after any of the games he gifted the game to our opponents?
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Hart knows when he messes up, nothing left for him to learn.

Arthur defensively is average at best but I am not sure he listens to anyone anyway.

Rice has the potential to be our best centre half for years. Rio was barely criticised by Harry whatever he did, it took some tough love and training by O’Leary to bring out the best defensively in him. If Rice can not cope with criticism then he will only ever be half the player he could be. It is not about the mistake, they will be made it is about how he responds and if he ever does the same daft thing again. Even had Hart yelled for him to leave it knowing the number of bodies behind him he should still have cleared it and then told Hart to “get lost” if he complained.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Re. Moyes digging out Rice. If you remember, he did the same publicly to Antonio. Obviously Moyes way, rightly or wrongly.
Rice is a young guy, I can forgive him that mistake. Got a feeling that the Arse player possibly DID shout, 'leave it'. Rice will learn from that.
If we'd lost 1-0 to THAT goal, I might be a bit more pissed off now.
Last edited by Samba on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

As is always, when the lads at the other end make a mistake and miss sitters....it's forgotten about quick enough. We should have buried those chances in the first half!

They are as much at fault.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Gsbgsb wrote:Hart knows when he messes up, nothing left for him to learn.
yes, he's perfect

Image Image Image

that phrasing also implies that rice does not know he did f*** up. which is, again, laughable: that would make him "an idiot", not just "inexperienced".

and i also did not say rice shouldn't be criticised, but there are different ways to go about it.

Samba wrote:If you remember, he did the same publicly to Antonio. Obviously Moyes way, rightly or wrongly.
missed that, cheers.
i don't think it is moyes way, or he'd be criticising half of the team 100% of the games. i think he's just prone to not thinking too much before talking, and that there was no malice in it (both cases).
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

warp wrote: missed that, cheers.
i don't think it is moyes way, or he'd be criticising half of the team 100% of the games. i think he's just prone to not thinking too much before talking, and that there was no malice in it (both cases).
You could well be correct, warp.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

No harm in a little tough love. The press would have probably hounded Moyes about it or it would have been all over the news like Hart’s blunder against Stoke. This way we get on top of it, we control the agenda and protect a young professional.

we also don’t know what was said in private between Moyes and Rice.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Different players respond differently- that is why it is important managers have a grasp on player psychology. Perhaps Rice is a guy who responds better to a kick up the rear rather than being nursed like a big baby
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Are you David Moyes agent ??????

:o
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Can’t understand why all the highlighting of the Rice error.

Moyes, articles on the OS it’s a well over the top.

Plenty of experienced players (and the manager) have been making mistakes all season.

Any comments from Moyes or on the OS of Hart’s continuous errors this season?

Very odd
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

A top player and one mistake will not be held against him by us.
He shows maturity beyond his years on the pitch and I hope a public coating from Moyes won't get his head down.
As others have said, seen far worse by 'senior' players this season.
Declan is one of very few shining lights this season.
Backing away while being on the post was a far worse crime yesterday. Is Moyes canting off Arthur...?
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Every newly bedded in defender makes a mistake or two. Tomkins was too tight in his first start and got turned leading to a goal.

Declan has shown he has what it takes, and one error like that means he'll never ever duck a ball again.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Samba wrote:Re. Moyes digging out Rice. If you remember, he did the same publicly to Antonio. Obviously Moyes way, rightly or wrongly.
Rice is a young guy, I can forgive him that mistake. Got a feeling that the Arse player possibly DID shout, 'leave it'. Rice will learn from that.
If we'd lost 1-0 to THAT goal, I might be a bit more pissed off now.
He also called out Arnie early on.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I wonder if Moyes thinks Rice is the sort of player that thrives on public criticism. Rather than some pansy that'll just crumble?
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

So he has called out Rice, Antonio and Arnie....

Hart must have a clause in his contract or photos of Mrs Moyes.
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

warp wrote: i don't think it is moyes way, or he'd be criticising half of the team 100% of the games. i think he's just prone to not thinking too much before talking, and that there was no malice in it (both cases).
That seems a more likely explanation of a bloke speaking out of disappointment rather than anger.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

I think you'll find that Hart is Sully's pet project, a la Untouchable.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

MD_HM wrote:Any comments from Moyes or on the OS of Hart’s continuous errors this season?

Very odd
Yes if you look. He said after the Chelsea game and the mistake he had a decision to make on the goalkeeper. He dropped Hart when everyone thought he had a contract clause saying if fit he must play.