Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

mattyD
Has liked: 266 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by mattyD »

Actually Giggs could not have played for England as all his parents and grand parents were Welsh. He captained England schoolboys I think he may have wanted to but had no choice.
levistubbstears

Post by levistubbstears »

I get what you're saying, spod. But I wish someone told him to take time to decide before playing 3 games for the senior squad and making a point of saying how much it meant to you to sing the Irish anthem or wear the shirt. Hypothetically If someone was advising him to use a national squad as a shop window for other nations he needs new advisors. But I'm sure he'll release a statement explaining this when the time comes to make a decision.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

spod wrote:I imagine that when Rice played for Ireland's youth sides, and even when he played friendlies for the senior side, he was told, "don't worry, it doesn't mean you've made your decision. If England come calling you can still change your mind."
But they didn't tell him the full story: that if England do come calling, and, being 19, you ask for time to make your mind up, your own club's fans will call you a ****.
Maybe someone should have told him that.
Anyone with half a brain would know that doing what Declan Rice has done would get a bad reaction, he looks like a an absolute idiot after what he said about playing for Ireland.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Far too much pretend moral outrage on this thread for my liking.
Longaz
Has liked: 1385 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Jumby wrote:
Anyone with half a brain would know that doing what Declan Rice has done would get a bad reaction, he looks like a an absolute idiot after what he said about playing for Ireland.
Is it not possible to be proud of having roots in 2 different countries? as a teenager if i was given the opportunity to represent my dads birth place Jamaica at anything i would be more than happy, but if i then had the chance to represent England i would be even more proud seeing as its my mums family and more importantly my birthplace. To say you have pride in one country does not have to relinquish the other.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

Jumby wrote:

Not sure what else he could have said "That was nice, but I'd rather play for England."

I haven't seen one directly attributed quote where he says Ireland are his team, he's always felt Irish and he never wants to play for anyone else.

What he did say was that he'd always played for Ireland youth and England had never shown any interest in him.

Only a very optimistic Ireland supporter would read that and not sense that "and" might be replaced by "because" in that sentence.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

At the end of the day, the guy is a professional athlete and, unless he's particularly stupid, will realize that his career will last maybe another fifteen years; provided that he doesn't get badly injured. The reality is that England will almost definitely make the finals of the Euros or World Cup whereas it's always going to be a bit hit and miss for the other home nations and Ireland. As much as anything else, it's a function of population: there are five times as many English people as there are Welsh, Scots and Irish combined. If he wants to maximize his chances of playing in major championships and the knock-on effect to his earnings potential, he'd be an idiot not to take the chance of getting into the England set-up assuming that it's really on the cards.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

career wise and financially he should try for England.

as long as he signs a new contract with us which is looking likely he will have a good career with us.

whether he is a cb or dm I am unsure but he is good for his age.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

According to the intertubes, Southgate has chipped in saying the usual 'tapping up but not so you can prove it' stuff; 'he's a good player but he's with Ireland at the moment', 'as much as we think he’s a very good player, that decision has to lie with him'.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Ozza »

steps wrote:Far too much pretend moral outrage on this thread for my liking.
I agree
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Hopefully he'll make the right decision and ultimately choose to be selected for England. He clearly has serious doubts about it and needs the time and space to get it right.
hammerman11
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

needs to get in our team first. I see him on the bench today cover for sanchez and wilshere and CBs diop and ogbonna.

head down choose England and get on with playing for west ham united. caps will follow.

he is very young so the likes of jones smalling etc wont hold him back. maguire mawson are around 24/25 so he has a few years on them as well.
Believer
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 727 likes

Post by Believer »

Clucking Bell wrote:.......:the knock-on effect to his earnings potential, he'd be an idiot not to take the chance of getting into the England set-up assuming that it's really on the cards.
This is the bit that worries me in all honesty. Yes it’s be fantastic to see him stroll out for England but I think we’ve got a better chance of keeping him if he remains with Ireland. I might be entirely wrong but I’d suspect that mingling with the Spurs lot, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea players etc, he would get his head turned and poached by players for those clubs.

Hopefully he will sign a new deal with us, make his international decision and then knuckle down.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

What a shame his position has been taken by the South American Gary Breen...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

MD_HM wrote:What a shame his position has been taken by the South American Gary Breen...
Carlos Sanchez is a significantly better defensive midfielder than Declan Rice at this moment in time
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Ireland have produced Ronan Curtis. They don’t need to look at English players.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Colours never run wrote:Hopefully he'll make the right decision and ultimately choose to be selected for England. He clearly has serious doubts about it and needs the time and space to get it right.
Roce has played Under 21 for Ireland and has been capped 3 times at senior level and was included in Ireland squads for over a year. Add into that what he has said before about Ireland, it’s hard to buy the “give him time” argument.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I meant at CB :D
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I am all for players being given the choice to play for whatever nation they are entitled to.. parents, grandparents.. long lost aunties.. whatever

but if you play one single game for that nation that should be it. friendly or not

you have made your choice then. put on their shirt.. played in front of their fans.. sung their national anthem then sorry but you have made your bed lie in it

take Zaha.. prime example.. born in the ivory coast but lived in england since the age of 4... went to school in england, trained at all levels in england.. developed in england.. capped at all levels including the national side.. but bamn can up and leave because he decides he can get more caps for them at the time instead of waiting for his england chance

poor darts.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote:I am all for players being given the choice to play for whatever nation they are entitled to.. parents, grandparents.. long lost aunties.. whatever

but if you play one single game for that nation that should be it. friendly or not

you have made your choice then. put on their shirt.. played in front of their fans.. sung their national anthem then sorry but you have made your bed lie in it

take Zaha.. prime example.. born in the ivory coast but lived in england since the age of 4... went to school in england, trained at all levels in england.. developed in england.. capped at all levels including the national side.. but bamn can up and leave because he decides he can get more caps for them at the time instead of waiting for his england chance

poor darts.
Zaha did get capped for England, but only in a friendly