Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Ludo1973
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Ludo1973 »

*edit* never mind...how do I delete a post?
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

Deleted
Last edited by Awooga_Iron on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

spod wrote: Not sure what else he could have said "That was nice, but I'd rather play for England."

I haven't seen one directly attributed quote where he says Ireland are his team, he's always felt Irish and he never wants to play for anyone else.

What he did say was that he'd always played for Ireland youth and England had never shown any interest in him.

Only a very optimistic Ireland supporter would read that and not sense that "and" might be replaced by "because" in that sentence.
When you pull on the shirt for the seniors that is when you're saying that this is your team. After he did that he spoke of his pride at representing them so you can't then consider playing for another nation after all of that, after lining up for the seniors, in front of tens of thousands of supporters, you just can't.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 505 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Looks like Roy Keane could still be a bit of a bollox....

This story is gathering pace over here....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh0OFHCqD ... e=youtu.be

http://www.offtheball.com/Soccer/Is-a-f ... land-squad
Ludo1973

Post by Ludo1973 »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Looks like Roy Keane could still be a bit of a bollox....
He always was and he always will be a complete bollox. And I am from Cork where that is a VERY unpopular opinion to have.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:

Zaha did get capped for England, but only in a friendly
That’s why I said in a friendly or not shouldn’t matter

You pull on that shirt and receive a cap that’s it
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Majority of 19 year old I grew up with, and most I have known since, didn't know their arse from their elbow,
Declan apparently should know better. Oh and he should learn from his mistakes whilst senior pros can keep on making theirs.
Best player to come through the ranks in years and still we keep on finding ways to piss him off.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I’d imagine anyone being offered the chance to play for Southgate, instead of that revolting moron, Keane, would be giving it serious consideration.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2090 likes
Total likes: 1795 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

DasNutNock wrote:I’d imagine anyone being offered the chance to play for Southgate, instead of that revolting moron, Keane, would be giving it serious consideration.
How a guy who walked out in his country at a World Cup has became their assistant manager beggars belief!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not digging you out or defending Keane but the actual facts are different.

The manager sent him home after his tirade when Mick McCarthy accused him of feigning an injury.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand how you can play for a country at the different age groups, make senior appearances and then start to think that you might not have an allegiance to that country.

England have not been interested up to now and are just worried that he might be someone they want in the future. Will probably do enough to claim him and then never pick him again.

I've just read Jason McAteers book and a similar thing happened to him. Jack Charlton contacted him in 1994 and said that if you commit to Ireland I'll take you to the World Cup. England found out, sent Jimmy Armfield to speak to him and tell him don't commit to Ireland, we'll pick you for a B team game at the end of the season.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Lifted from that report...
the incident happened in Dublin, where Keane is said to have made a snide remark about Arter's fitness. Rice stepped in to defuse the situation which resulted in Keane making disparaging comments to Rice
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Keane probably made a comment about Rice being a plastic Paddy, wouldn’t blame him for walking out if the Assistnt Manager is saying that.
sutts07
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Who knows what was said.

If England were sniffing around him though, a comment like that would have been all he needed to make up his mind.

Let's be honest though, he is some way off a full England call up. There are only a few who would pick him in our current starting eleven (despite it being so poor).

I thought he looked fantastic in a back three towards the back end of last season. Even more so once the pressure was off us a little bit. Huge potential.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Given Southgate has made a clear preference for a back 5 with CBs who are good on the ball, he actually has a half decent opportunity to get in the England team at some point - maybe above centre backs who are 'better' than him - and any experience gleaned playing DM will help him

However, he does, of course, need to get in our team first. And given we don't play a back 5, I can't see that happening in the immediate future
Ludo1973

Post by Ludo1973 »

Reports now suggesting that he is sticking with Ireland. Hope this is the case. Tough decision for him but this should all have been handled much better. Silly agent.
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

Look how that worked out for Nobes , never got a shot at playing for his country at Senior level.

Didnt realise he could still play for Ireland too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Nobl ... nal_career" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Rice should stay with Ireland.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Noble does own one record though; the most appearances by an English player in the Premier without being selected by his country.
smuts
Has liked: 1493 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by smuts »

ornchurch ammer wrote:Noble does own one record though; the most appearances by an English player in the Premier without being selected by his country.
Considering the plethora of midfielders selected in the PL era and some of the dross included that's one seriously unwanted stat.
hammerman11
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I don't care who he plays for other than WHU. he needs to get in our team first.

CBs look to be diop and Balbuena with ogbonna as reserve. rice would be 4th choice.

DMs seem to be sanchez and one from obiang noble wilshere and rice

he will play against Macclesfield in the cup but has dropped down the list for sure. However being west ham an injury crisis will be around the corner so he will get a chance.

rice and diop would be good with reece oxford surfacing in the first team squad as well.