David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

Patito

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by Patito »

Barnet Steve wrote:Whetstone already getting the board's excuses for not appointing Rafa in place: http://www.claretandhugh.info/rafa-coul ... -over-30m/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It was him or an overpriced player we didn't need in a position that didn't need filling..."

It's going to be another window of the same old *****, isn't it...
This is telling.

"The Hammers would need to pay Newcastle at least £6.5m in compensation and offer the Spaniard up to £24m over three years to make the switch to London Stadium meaning an investment of over £30m."

"David Moyes was said to be on just £15,000 per week costing the Hammers around £400,000 for six months plus a bonus of £1.25m and £2.1m for Premier League survival and final league position."
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

swash wrote:If you pay peanuts you get monkeys
martin keown ?
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

swash wrote:If you pay peanuts you get monkeys
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Peter Reid did well at Sunderland come to think of it, must be on our shortlist somewhere.
AAL86

Post by AAL86 »

Moyes... is that you?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Well there's Cheeta, we've got Jane, just need Tarzan...
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The irony in two of the updates ExWHU gave last night according to Twitter:
It is believed that West Ham will now opt against appointing David Moyes on a permanent basis, because:

- Comments about club leaks

- Comments from high-profile people at his negative style of football

- Player fall outs

- Moyes being unsure on the job
A number of first-team West Ham players are unhappy with David Moyes and have told the board that they do not believe he is the right man for the job.

Says it all. He has to go.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

That EX is ****ing moron.

Nothing more than an attention seeking ****
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 667 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

somerset-hammer wrote:That EX is ****ing moron.

Nothing more than an attention seeking ****

Ex told you this first on twitter. admit it or be unfollowed
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I don’t actually care if he stays or doesn’t now tbh. The owners are very unlikely to change and start spending money. If Moyes goes it will probably be someone similar, who won’t be able to invest, and have the one task of keeping us in the Premier League. Until we see change at the very top, it will just be the same old.

The next two home matches need to be about pleasing the fans. Finish as high up as we can absolutely, but make sure the players who play are the ones we want to keep and try and be positive.

Moyes has done an ok job...nothing brilliant, nothing atrocious.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Barnet Steve wrote:Whetstone already getting the board's excuses for not appointing Rafa in place: http://www.claretandhugh.info/rafa-coul ... -over-30m/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It was him or an overpriced player we didn't need in a position that didn't need filling..."

It's going to be another window of the same old *****, isn't it...
It's almost like you have to pay for quality, something our board has never understood.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:The next two home matches need to be about pleasing the fans. Finish as high up as we can absolutely, but make sure the players who play are the ones we want to keep and try and be positive.

Moyes has done an ok job...nothing brilliant, nothing atrocious.
I agree 100%. The only good thing that has happened since Christmas is that the media are more aware of what an utter shambles we are as a club and have decided it is a story worth telling.
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

Personally I would like him to stay for the following reasons:

a) He and his staff are already in place and have worked with the team. He will have surveyed the team and assessed who could be retained for next season. A new manager, in a world cup summer, will have less than 6 weeks to get organised.

b) He has COACHED players. A few names have been banded about like Mancini etc and whilst I think they are all good flash names I cannot see Pellegrini out trying to develop Rice and co to make them better players. Which brings up the next part.

c) We don't have millions to spend. We need to work within a budget and stay competitive. Even the most ardent critic of Moyes can admit that his Everton team were not mugs and mixed it with bigger expensive teams.

Many on here might lament the performances under his tenure but I submit that this is not his squad. Bilic never got his squad. Did Sam get all of his either? Point is we cannot continue to hire average managers and shop at the lower end of their wish list then put them on overpaid contracts then sack the manager and start again. We need to break the cycle and get this team a young balanced squad that can grow together.

I agree with earlier comments that people have painted Moyes as some anti football villain which I think is unfair because we turned it on a few times under his management. I think he can provide stability, he can shop well in the lower value market and really turn the team into capable competitors. Will he bring us Kloppesque football? Maybe not but the guy AFTER Moyes might be able to do that because he has a decent foundation to build on rather than what has been left to managers previously.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Moyes not done anything atrocious??

6 times we've lost by 3 goals in the league and have been knocked out to minnows Wigan in the cup.

We really deserved to go down under him this year but fortunately there were 3 more teams who were a little bit more unorganised than ourselves.

Need someone new in this summer. If we had any intention of progressing we'd change.

With this in mind I fully expect to see Moyes in charge for our first game....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Moyes not done anything atrocious??

6 times we've lost by 3 goals in the league and have been knocked out to minnows Wigan in the cup.

We really deserved to go down under him this year but fortunately there were 3 more teams who were a little bit more unorganised than ourselves.

Need someone new in this summer. If we had any intention of progressing we'd change.

With this in mind I fully expect to see Moyes in charge for our first game....
Spot on, and expect the same............

"Blessed are they who expect nothing.....for they shall never be disappointed......."
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Moyes is on a hiding to nothing with you lot, especially tonight. These are the only way this pans out:

We go on the attack and get beaten

‘Moyes is a defensive manager and couldn’t get us to defend against this lot pathetic!’

We go on the attack and win

‘Why hasn’t Moyes been doing this all season the negative dinosaur!’

We defend seeing as we’re playing a superior team, but lose

‘Negative dinosaur setting up to defend against the second best team in the league’

We defend seeing as we’re playing a superior team and win

‘Yeah we won, but I can’t watch those negative dinosaur tactics for a whole season.’

And then we all come on to this thread and demand we sign a progressive manager like Benitez or Silva, who are just defensive coaches with fancier names.

Or Dyche who must be attacking because he plays two up front right?

Or Howe who plays ‘the right way’ by scoring less, conceding more, and leading the league in bookings for cheating.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by woodywoody »

Moyes don't exactly yearn for the job stating he ain't bothered if he gets and is wanted by other clubs.
I am sure the likes of Arsenal and big 6 wouldn't even consider him as there groundsman.
He should be pleading to stay to finish and prove his worth but I suppose football pay so much these days they can either take or leave
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Jackhammer

do you honestly think that Brighton have a better squad than us ?

Swansea ?

just those two as I think we should have gotten something out of that instead of a 3-1 and 4-1 walloping.

Swansea for example have scored only twice in 8 games since that tonking.

If you are happy with that, fine, you're entitled to your opinion. As are we.

Hiding to nothing ? A miserable not only loss, but a complete failure to turn up against both Wigan and a totally uninterested Arsenal team. Shrewsbury ?

I expect nothing at all against the big guns any more...but can we not even turn up in those matches mentioned ? THAT'S what I look at Moyes and decide....nah, not for me...

And then the bitching about the fans. He obviously has no clue what has gone on. If he doesn't then keep schtum. And then basically tell us he couldn't attract world class players because world class players wouldn't come here with fans not backing the team. What about prior to Burnley. What about away games ?
Not one word whatsoever about the quality away support when served up some right crap. Three wins away all season.

Thank the Lord that there are 4 teams basically worse than us.

No thanks David, wish you well, but your stay here was a miserable experience. His team or not. Other managers have had squads foisted on them and done okay. Stop keep blaming the squad.

What about the bloke at West Brom ?????
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

ExWHU wrote:A number of first-team West Ham players are unhappy with David Moyes and have told the board that they do not believe he is the right man for the job.

Says it all. He has to go.
I feel sorry for Bilic.

I feel sorry for Moyes.

And if that statement is true, then that's a disgrace. Those players - the same players that have under-performed, looked dogshit, and largely played with no intensity and passion whatsoever - have cost 2 managers their jobs. And they think they have the right to call the shots. Who the f*** do they think they are really? A bunch of overpaid spineless c**** who can't accept responsibility for their own inept displays. It really makes me angry. Does anyone think that Bilic or Moyes wanted them to go out on that field and totally let everybody down week in week out? The managers expected and deserved better, and regardless of what else is going on at the club - those players earn enough to have no excuses when it comes to putting in a shift. Regardless of whats going on at the club, they're still playing in front of their fans every game - fans that don't deserve to be served up that **** game after game.

2 managers, same ****, same performances. It's the players - they're the problem.