David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

the celestial insect

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by the celestial insect »

If we're going to draw from the celebrity ranks, then I want John Cleese on the condition that he spends the whole of his tenure in the guise of Basil Fawlty. The team talks would be terrific, and you could hardly have a more appropriate figurehead than the proprietor of Fawlty Towers.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Sloop John B wrote:"We are already taking steps to identify and recruit the manager we believe can take West Ham United forward in line with our ambitions."
Those would be for Sully.

He was so short he needed a step ladder to reach puberty :D
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Chris Hughton would do a decent job.

Any Kumber still think Marco Silva should be next WHU Manager?
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Good a manager as he's been in the past I think Pellergrini would be a terrible appointment for us.

What he achieved at Villarreal was incredible and although usurped by Pep's City, the football he had City playing was much improved on the Mancini years.

However, I'm not convinced his style of play, more relaxed demeanour, and air of 'I'm here for one last pay day' would work here. We're not going to be able to field or buy a team of technically gifted playmakers the likes of Riquelme, Cazorla, Pires, Cani (Villareal) or Silva, Nasri, De Bruyne, Sterling (Man City) and i'm not convinced he's able to coach or instil the discipline, tactical shape and pressing game needed in today's modern PL.

While someone like Fonseca's body of work is less impressive, i believe he's more of the profile we should be targeting. An up and coming manager, with new coaching idea's, a defined style of play and someone who will put their heart and soul in to the job. Even if they are viewing WHU as a stepping stone, at the very least it would mean they'd been successful, although the equivalent on Marco Silva fluttering his eye lids at Everton after 10 games might be a bit much.

It's been mentioned before but it's unfathomable that a club willing to spend millions of £'s on wasted loan fee's every season won't consider paying compensation to release a currently in work manager from his contract. The manager is arguably the most important signing we'd make this season and if they really believe Benitiz, Jokanovic or Wagner is the right man they for the job they should pay the damn money. While the rumoured £6m in compo for Benitez, or whoever, might seem like a lot by manager standards we've paid far more for players who have contributed next to nothing in the Claret & Blue.

While I'm not necessarily advocating we appoint Benitez, it would be undeniable that his profile would be befitting of our new 'World Class Stadium' and he'd definitely be a positive draw when up against other similar clubs around us in the transfer market. He also has the force of personality, ambition and profile to challenge the Dave's regards the structural changes needed throughout the club; even if he has hit a bit of brick wall when faced with the challenges at Newcastle. The fact that his name continues to crop up 3 years after he chose Madrid over us at the 11th hour does rather make me think there might be something in the links to him. Likewise Jokanovic and Wagner who were both linked last summer. From a purely footballing perspective i think Jokanovic would best suit us, but am less sure of his personality, drive and desire when compared to the other two.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

I think we can rule out Steve Bruce considering his history with Sullivan.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... its-725921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Pardew here!
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Vienna wrote:Thanks David for doing a very good job at our club, respect to you and your staff. :crest:
This.

His contract wasn't renewed because he wanted more control over transfers and major investment in the squad and training facilities.

Sullivan wasn't prepared to relinquish any control or meet the spending expectations.

Viz a viz 'we want to move in a different direction' ie spend as little as possible to maintain survival.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Cardiff

Put simply, I'll support whoever I think could be good enough for what I want/most of us want.

Deep deep down, even the most ardent Moyes fan would appreciate that. He was never the answer. He's a busted flush. That doesn't mean I don't at least appreciate his efforts and keeping us up. But that's all I'm thankful for. I didn't appreciate his barbed comments about the fans against Burnley or throwing his hat into the ring when Bilic was still in a job. Just not my kinda chap.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

the celestial insect wrote:If we're going to draw from the celebrity ranks, then I want John Cleese on the condition that he spends the whole of his tenure in the guise of Basil Fawlty. The team talks would be terrific, and you could hardly have a more appropriate figurehead than the proprietor of Fawlty Towers.
I can't think of a better figurehead for our club at the moment.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Gourvennec
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Chris Hughton would do a decent job.
Just signed a new contract with Brighton.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

I know we want a big name manager, but just a few years ago Moyes WAS a big name manager. His reputation had been battered a bit, but I think we could have blossomed together.

Sometimes it felt like a Rafa Benitez at Chelsea situation, where he was getting criticized for everything, while managing to do a pretty good job in the circumstances
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Ironing Board wrote:I know we want a big name manager, but just a few years ago Moyes WAS a big name manager. His reputation had been battered a bit, but I think we could have blossomed together.
oh, so it wasn't you who told them to poke it, it was really them not renewing you?
disappointing.

good luck though dave!
woodford
Has liked: 421 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

It was 50 -50 ( not on this poll ) whether he stayed or went.

He's gone, because they apparently aren't renewing his contract, for reasons best known to them.

Anything else is speculative, unless anyone actually has any factual info as to why. Factual, not guesswork.

So short of running after his train crying at Euston, wearing black arm bands for someone who 50% of people on here wanted gone and many other weren't sure about, what should the club have done? Should May 16th be known as Moyesy day?

yes we know Sullivan is a proper ****, that much we know, but had he re-appointed Moyes some of the same people on here would be moaning about another season of watching negative football and the club having no ambition.

Moyes himself wasn't backwards in coming forwards when Bilic was still manager, so whilst i think Sullivan & Gold are the worst owners in the Premier league by a long chalk, i can't feel sympathy.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

woodford wrote:Moyes himself wasn't backwards in coming forwards when Bilic was still manager
i don't remember much on the topic, but could it be something like a journo asked him if he'd take the job and he just said "yes"? he doesn't really have much of a filter, we know that!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Chris Hughton would do a decent job.
Who I wanted when we sacked Grant.

We might not have gone up first go but I think he would have rebuilt the club and laid a good foundation for the future.

Exactly the sort of thing the short-term thinking mugs in charge wouldn't even consider.

A manager who can sort out our shortcomings while dealing with one of the worst boards in football has got one hell of a job on his hands.

These mugs will wear them down in the end.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

"We aim to appoint a high-calibre figure who we feel will lead the club into an exciting future for our loyal supporters within the next 10 days."
David Sullivan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44140002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We shall see...
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ironing Board wrote:I know we want a big name manager, but just a few years ago Moyes WAS a big name manager.
:?
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Rasp wrote:"We aim to appoint a high-calibre figure who we feel will lead the club into an exciting future for our loyal supporters within the next 10 days."
David Sullivan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44140002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We shall see...

That little d1ck doesn't give a feck about what he says......or even lies about! Wottatrump!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

I'm more concerned that the board want to take ten days rather than that Moyes has gone.

Arsenal and Everton definitely in the market. Chelsea and Leicester likely in the next few days. Are we a better option than any of those? Can Sulli really sell us to the type of manager (most) want?

The only way I see we get someone decent is to put a clear marker down on one manager and go all out before someone else gives them a call.
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

Nailed on Benitez in my opinion