Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th new manager

Post by Colours never run »

Believer wrote:
Maybe our reaction at Burnley home game was the jolt they needed. g
It really was.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Is that photo on the right Gold and Sullivan...(Laurel and Hardy) cos that's what it looks like !!!

:lol:
Magritte I think.

A surrealist revelling in fantasy. You can see why Sulli would like it.
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
Is that photo on the right Gold and Sullivan...(Laurel and Hardy) cos that's what it looks like !!!

:lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myste ... he_Horizon

It's a Magritte painting featuring three seemingly identical people in bowler hats sharing the same space but all looking off in different directions ... Dave bought it because he really likes hats.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cheers lads..

shows how much I know about quality stuff..you know it's Magritte..me I think it's Laurel and Hardy !!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hammer of Oz

Post by Hammer of Oz »

blightee wrote:Congrats hammers, it took me a while to warm to him because Mancini was the godfather to us, but Pellers is an amazing manager. At the very least the football will be entertaining, But I think you can be successful too with some improvements to your defense. You need some pace and good defensive awareness to play in Pellegrini's backline, so hopefully you can recruit well.
Cheers mate. Seems like MP was well respected by most at yours, and comes to West Ham with their best wishes. Your comments are appreciated. :thup:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

I suppose I should learn how to correctly pronounce his name, then. Is it, Man-yoo-ayl Pay-yay-gree-nee?
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
retro

Post by retro »

Good looking bench The Count and assistant Igor Cousillas

That will be five new signings .ah..ah. .ah !
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

The beginning of something beautiful. I can feel it. Accumulating in the departure of the cock and balls from our club. IROOOOONS
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

retro wrote:Image
Good looking bench The Count and assistant Igor Cousillas
The count left last week..
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Will be interesting to see if he is going to tweak his preferred tactic and mould something to suit our lads, or not.

Bilic brought in a few, early doors, than was slow to change when we needed to.

An experienced manager, as Pellegrini, might have more up his sleeve.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Credit to GSB this is a brilliant PR signing ... he's been around for years so all the fans know the name, he's managed about 100 clubs but in there is a year at RM and 3 years at City ... he's won a few titles and the odd cup ...

and he's just past his 'best before' date so we can get him at a decent whack ...

Luv 'em or hate 'em you have to say this board know how to play us ... 'greatest migration in history' 'RWFAG fix' and now 'big name manager' ....

We'll be happy as pigs in **** (that's not a pun it's the LS) for another season ....
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

IronworksDave wrote:Credit to GSB this is a brilliant PR signing ... he's been around for years so all the fans know the name, he's managed about 100 clubs but in there is a year at RM and 3 years at City ... he's won a few titles and the odd cup ...

and he's just past his 'best before' date so we can get him at a decent whack ...

Luv 'em or hate 'em you have to say this board know how to play us ... 'greatest migration in history' 'RWFAG fix' and now 'big name manager' ....

We'll be happy as pigs in **** (that's not a pun it's the LS) for another season ....
Spot on Dave. Just enough to keep the fans quiet.

Give 'em the old razzle, dazzle...
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Unless we are going to give him significant transfer funds we'd have been better off keeping Moyes.

This fella has just signed a three year contract but has done the rounds and was only in China chasing the money.

At his age is he really gonna be busting a gut to win us a cup?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Roby wrote: At his age is he really gonna be busting a gut to win us a cup?
I find this a really odd statement. It's not like he's playing in the games. He's a manager. He's openly admitted he's determined. He's getting paid a fair wedge. He's won things. He's not as old as other managers.

Are you really bothered he's not 45?
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

IronworksDave wrote:Luv 'em or hate 'em you have to say this board know how to play us ... 'greatest migration in history' 'RWFAG fix' and now 'big name manager' ....
I view cynicism as a kind of macho laziness. It's easier to slag something off than it is to build it up, in the same way it is easier for a kid to knock over his younger brother's carefully balanced pile of bricks than it is to sit down with him and help him build it higher. When people are unhappy that things didn't work out, you get to chime in with an 'I told you so', cashing in on that extra special knowledge you have about the world that things sometimes don't work out the way you hoped, especially when you are competing fiercely for success. You can lord it over all those dopes that 'fell for the optimism' and dared to hope. Hope is for sissies!

The atmosphere around our club is poisonous at times. I for one am sick of it. And no, I am not convinced it's all down to the poor running of the club, the new stadium or [insert boring manager here]. I think people just love to moan, and they do it because it's safe. It's just easier (and lazy) to not have to defend something. It's just easier to throw bricks than it is to build something with them. The idea that the club is just out to con you out of your money might be very flattering in regard to your wealthy status, but it's just not true. There are far better ways to make money in this world. There really are.

And a football club cannot improve without improving its own value, thus attracting better players, managers and sponsorship. If you want success, then the club has to increase its value. But you assume that this is all done to profit the owners.

Yawn... oh if only life was so simple that we could all just throw our bricks around and they would still fall into some kind of happy order. No, it takes work - and some of that work is called 'hope'.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

It's the hope that kills you.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Blimey, Pels has brought Confucius with him from China :wink:

no offence intended Northern Light
Last edited by OFT on Wed May 23, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

Doc H Ball wrote:It's the hope that kills you.
No, it is the complete opposite. It's the false expectation that hope always breeds success that kills you. It is the sense of entitlement that kills you.

In my life, I've lived without hope and I can tell you that it's a dark place. This kind of counter-intuitive nonsense that hope kills us is cynicism fighting with its last breath to justify its own laziness.

Hope is taking a risk - and yes, taking risks can kill you. But going from that to 'it is the hope that kills you' is just a failure in perspective, not to mention a failure in logic.

Hope is the possibility for change and for improvement, and if you honestly think that imagining or even planning for some kind of success is going to kill you, then you are well beyond taking any kind of risk ever again. I guess that is more or less dead. Perhaps you're right!
hxhammer

Post by hxhammer »

Roby wrote:Unless we are going to give him significant transfer funds we'd have been better off keeping Moyes.

This fella has just signed a three year contract but has done the rounds and was only in China chasing the money.

At his age is he really gonna be busting a gut to win us a cup?
Jesus and i thought i was "glass half emoty" yours is positively drained
Northern_Light

Post by Northern_Light »

OFT wrote:no offence intended Northern Light
None taken. We could do with a little Confucius.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

There used to be a time on this forum (thinking back to 2002 and the first years) when peeps were pretty laid back and the difference in opinion was kept in check. Peeps casually tossed about their theories on the beautiful game, the current team sheet, the secret of success, the state of the club (in the Brown era). The place was full of all sorts of different shades of opinion, but it was all more or less good.

Nowadays, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on being an expert, and almost no mention of the fact that we are all amateurs when it comes to running a football club or knowing how to win a match. If it was that easy, anyone could have success.

And on the basis of that amateur pedigree, we think we are more than qualified to pass judgement on everything. I think we've suffered a lot more disappointment in the past, but we've come through it with a lot more dignity and bonhomie.

Yes, it's been a titanic change. But our history is only lost if we forget it. The future of the club really depends on building new memories. The same has always been true. You cannot live on past glories forever.

And now, when the club have actually made a historic push towards the next level, half of the support are seemingly too numb to appreciate it. Numb with their own expertise, me thinks!

EDIT: for spelling :)
Last edited by Northern_Light on Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.