Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Benny the Ball
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th new manager

Post by Benny the Ball »

IronworksDave wrote:Luv 'em or hate 'em you have to say this board know how to play us ... 'greatest migration in history' 'RWFAG fix' and now 'big name manager' ....
Northern_Light wrote: I view cynicism as a kind of macho laziness. It's easier to slag something off than it is to build it up, in the same way it is easier for a kid to knock over his younger brother's carefully balanced pile of bricks than it is to sit down with him and help him build it higher. When people are unhappy that things didn't work out, you get to chime in with an 'I told you so', cashing in on that extra special knowledge you have about the world that things sometimes don't work out the way you hoped, especially when you are competing fiercely for success. You can lord it over all those dopes that 'fell for the optimism' and dared to hope. Hope is for sissies!

The atmosphere around our club is poisonous at times. I for one am sick of it. And no, I am not convinced it's all down to the poor running of the club, the new stadium or [insert boring manager here]. I think people just love to moan, and they do it because it's safe. It's just easier (and lazy) to not have to defend something. It's just easier to throw bricks than it is to build something with them. The idea that the club is just out to con you out of your money might be very flattering in regard to your wealthy status, but it's just not true. There are far better ways to make money in this world. There really are.

And a football club cannot improve without improving its own value, thus attracting better players, managers and sponsorship. If you want success, then the club has to increase its value. But you assume that this is all done to profit the owners.

Yawn... oh if only life was so simple that we could all just throw our bricks around and they would still fall into some kind of happy order. No, it takes work - and some of that work is called 'hope'.
Nice post NL and we have unfortunately been brought into a world where forums and social media keep people off moaning about the weather and finding something else instead. Its too easy to find fault when appraising, and any positives are easily swept aside by the pitch fork army.

Stadium is a great example, its a long way from perfect but for some there are many improvements to what had evolved in Upton Park. A poster yesterday showed clear indignation at another poster stating satisfaction with the stadium.
MP is the same, I sense general approval, but there are still those that hedge; criticize the appointment, but state how happy they will be if they are wrong.

At the same time, there are some extremely valuable and rational inputs, comments, ideas and opinions put forward on forums, however when trying to have a rational response to an emotional argument...there's usually only 1 winner, difficult to win a purely emotional argument.

Life with forums and social media, for many its too much of a black art and I sometimes wonder if the club would be better having an official post to counter some of the negativity.

COYI

BtB
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Fantastic posts Northern Light :thup:
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Woken up this morning still stunned at the news we picked up a manager of MP's calibre!
Now all they need is to give him £100m or so to spend ........
Patito

Post by Patito »

Nice one, Northern Light. :crest:
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

I smell the 10% shareholder presence of American billionaire Albert "Tripp" Smith in here somewhere. Not a chance G and S would have done this by themselves, in my opinion. No coincidence our new shareholders showed up for the first time at a board meeting recently.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Northern_Light wrote:
No, it is the complete opposite. It's the false expectation that hope always breeds success that kills you. It is the sense of entitlement that kills you.
I bet you're fun at parties.
Patito

Post by Patito »

GALF wrote:
I bet you're fun at parties.

He probably is if his glass is always half full :wink:
Geoff Peters-Moore
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Geoff Peters-Moore »

Northern Light shines true light on the situation. It's probably the very best appointment we could have made. DS appears to have stepped away from player identification (can't say recruitment as he must still have some say in contracts). A DoF seems to be arriving and most people within the club appear to have lost their passwords to social media.

All of these are huge steps forward. I am confident MP will be backed in the transfer market this summer as he must have been satisfied with assurances from DS on this front or he wouldn't have joined. We are now being linked with much better quality if Sami Kheidra rumours are anything to go by. All positive.

Yes the stadium is an issue but can anyone say they wouldn't have sold their old house which needed megabucks of investment if they were being given a new one twice as big? Yes the new ground might lack character and history but it is now our ground. Let's create the character through our support and the atmosphere we create at games.

Time to move on as I think, with this appointment, we are no going in the right direction.
sirwalter

Post by sirwalter »

Thanks Northern Light, You have put far more eloquently what I have been thinking for some time.
The MP appointment is definitely a step in the right direction. Lets wait and see where we go from here, it could be an enjoyable trip!
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

GALF wrote:I bet you're fun at parties.
I'm sorry, are you not entertained?

I could tell you a joke... though I'd probably cock it up! :twisted:
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

Northern_Light wrote:
I view cynicism as a kind of macho laziness. It's easier to slag something off than it is to build it up, in the same way it is easier for a kid to knock over his younger brother's carefully balanced pile of bricks than it is to sit down with him and help him build it higher. When people are unhappy that things didn't work out, you get to chime in with an 'I told you so', cashing in on that extra special knowledge you have about the world that things sometimes don't work out the way you hoped, especially when you are competing fiercely for success. You can lord it over all those dopes that 'fell for the optimism' and dared to hope. Hope is for sissies!

The atmosphere around our club is poisonous at times. I for one am sick of it. And no, I am not convinced it's all down to the poor running of the club, the new stadium or [insert boring manager here]. I think people just love to moan, and they do it because it's safe. It's just easier (and lazy) to not have to defend something. It's just easier to throw bricks than it is to build something with them. The idea that the club is just out to con you out of your money might be very flattering in regard to your wealthy status, but it's just not true. There are far better ways to make money in this world. There really are.

And a football club cannot improve without improving its own value, thus attracting better players, managers and sponsorship. If you want success, then the club has to increase its value. But you assume that this is all done to profit the owners.

Yawn... oh if only life was so simple that we could all just throw our bricks around and they would still fall into some kind of happy order. No, it takes work - and some of that work is called 'hope'.
more club spin zzzzz :asleep: :asleep:

:crest: i am joking by the way
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Northern_Light wrote: I view cynicism as a kind of macho laziness.
And yet you suggest that those who are anti-board and don't see this appointment as some amazing turning point are somehow a product of an age of infantilism on social media. You assume their position can only be a product of psychology and not a rational decision. It's a wonderfully condescending, dismissive and, yes, cynical position to take towards some well reasoned and thoughtful posters who have done a sterling job of tracking the greed and incompetencies of the current board. And yes that can be backed up with arguments and is not a product of some psychological disposition to moan.

And f*ck me. Quoting Confucius on a football forum.
Benny the Ball wrote:however when trying to have a rational response to an emotional argument...there's usually only 1 winner, difficult to win a purely emotional argument.
Absolute condescending bollox. We've gone from a psychological disposition to moan to just people not agreeing with you being all emotional with no substance to their position.

Since the board arrived, it's been quite bad, from season to season. We can rationally look at net transfer spend, we can rationally look at the haphazard approach to the appointment and interviewing of various managers, we can rationally look at the treatment of said managers, we can rationally look at the way in which the board (especially one of them) have used social media to massage public opinion and use it for self-promotion, we can rationally look at the promises made regarding the OS and the actual reality of it all, and we can rationally conclude that it has taken a near complete disastrous season and the implosion of the fanbase within the OS to get Sullivan to take a bold move.

So after over a decade of incompetencies, lies, under-funding, and under-mining of managers, don't be surprised if people take the rational decision to not go over the top and be all filled with hope because they have thrown millions hiring a manager.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Geoff Peters-Moore wrote:Northern Light shines true light on the situation.

but it is now our ground.
Whilst i admire Northern Lights glass half full approach and the appointment of Pellegrini is a massive step forward, its not our ground and thats a great reason to moan / discuss all aspects of our club on a forum.
Nothing wrong with being positive but don't let it sweep the real issues under the carpet. Great appointment but still plenty to discuss.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

DrVenk wrote: Quoting Confucius on a football forum.
To be fair DrVenk, I started the Confucius thing, albeit lightheartedly.

Back to topic;
FWIW, I'm happy with the appointment but am expecting Sullivan to carry on as per. in equal measure. I don't think the 'cynicism' on here concerning our esteemed owners can be anything but expected, leopards and spots etc..

:crest:
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

taffhammer wrote:
Whilst i admire Northern Lights glass half full approach and the appointment of Pellegrini is a massive step forward, its not our ground and thats a great reason to moan / discuss all aspects of our club on a forum.
Nothing wrong with being positive but don't let it sweep the real issues under the carpet. Great appointment but still plenty to discuss.
You are aware that there are other threads on this forum which discuss those topics in depth?

This is the Pellegrini thread, and as you say, it is a massive step forward!

:scarfer:
CockneyRebel
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by CockneyRebel »

I ask this question without having looked up the stats but was MP's time in China deemed to be a success?

It's not the greatest barometer I know but would be interesting to hear from someone who's followed the Chinese league.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

OFT wrote: To be fair DrVenk, I started the Confucius thing, albeit lightheartedly.
Ha, fair enough you pretentious so and so :wink:
OFT wrote: Back to topic;
FWIW, I'm happy with the appointment but am expecting Sullivan to carry on as per. in equal measure. I don't think the 'cynicism' on here concerning our esteemed owners can be anything but expected, leopards and spots etc..

:crest:
Glad you put it in inverted commas because it is not cynicism and it takes some 'macho' BS to attempt to usurp the position of others by dismissing their reasoned concerns as a product of some psychological disposition.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

Never thought I'd see the day; Manuel running Fawlty towers.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Bangarang Venk!!
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

The best I was hoping for was someone like Jokanovic so this appointment is still unbelievable to me. The media keep focusing on his City days but it’s his time at Villareal and Malaga after the funds were pulled that give me optimism for the next couple of seasons.

I just hope that we get a director of football as well though. I find it hard to believe that he had much of a say about transfers at most of his clubs.