Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by e17 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:He would be better playing a 3-5-2 with wing backs
Been thinking this since before Christmas too. My guess is he’s at least tried this at Chadwell Heath, and for whatever reason - probably the lack of adequate midfield options - it hasn’t worked

I’ve loved a lot of the football we’ve played this season - first time at Stratford I can say that, and that’s 100% down to this fella - he’s entrusted the likes Diop & Rice to play like seniors from the off, Fab to be fab despite joining us on the back of the drop, clean slated and transformed Antonio & Snodgrass, and rested anyone when he’s deemed it right - yes there’s been spells of serious concern - but when hasn’t there been?

And yet, strangely, he’s done it while sticking to the same tactical set up as David Moyes :lol: it’s very very weird. The football is much much better, but the shortcomings are exactly the same,

My guess is it would have involved Arnie reverting to a midfield spot, and maybe Pel spotted that for all his faults (especially since Christmas), that, plus relying on the likes of Hernandez and Perez as a 2 was just a non starter.

Basically, he desperately needs to be given the funds for firepower - the Spurs and Man U results would have been higher goal tallies for us with better strike options
Patito

Post by Patito »

arlhe wrote:I too agree with Romford Iron
As do I.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

e17 wrote:

Basically, he desperately needs to be given the funds for firepower - the Spurs and Man U results would have been higher goal tallies for us with better strike options
Considering he's only had Andy Carroll , Perez , Hernandez and a moody Arnautovic to work with he's exceeded all expectations in my opinion .

If we'd had a Rondon or a Ayoze Perez instead of Carroll and Lucas Perez imagine what we could have achieved .
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Managers like Pelle tend to have a system they want to play and will eventually build a team to fit that system. It takes a bit of patience and can be rough to begin with. Like De Boer when he got the Palace job... he was only ever going to force the players to adapt to his philosophy, but it doesn't happen overnight. Sometimes it can take a long time. I'm convinced that he'd have done a good job for them in the long term but they didn't want to take that risk. It's usually the more pragmatic managers that work the other way around and build a system to fit their players or specifically to frustrate the opposition. For me, we're just missing some pace and energy in midfield, and a bit of physicality to mix it up with the lower teams. It's been a very unlucky season with regards to injuries and he's had a lot to deal with, but I have faith in his system... he just needs a few more of the right players to make it work to its full potential. They don't even need to be mega expensive superstars... they just need to have the right attributes to play the way he wants to play. I'm confident that we'll see further improvement next season.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

I don't think any top manager plays just one way, and forces that on the team.
They all do have their favoured approach.

For our current manager, playing on the floor, focusing on retaining the ball, attacking with flair, and the like, is ingrained as part of his philosphy.

He'll no doubt will demand something other than Moyes, though. Some will cope, some will adapt later, some will leave. Quite natural.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

I dunno if somene else here get the feeling, but.. its not a coincidence the fact that the team has played their best games and football against the (so called) BIG CLUBS... ManU, Tottenham, ManC, Liverpool (away), Chelsea (mostly home), Arsenal, etc....

According to this, you can see the manager aims to reach this level and used to play at this stages... and thats a big goal.

(BUT, I know... at the other side, you have to fix the lower games and win against the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield)
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

we seem to do a lot better against teams who concentrate more on playing their game that they do trying to stop us playing ours.

not sure what conclusions to come to from that.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Weird spot he was having afternoon tea at Sketch in London today !
Loon

Post by Loon »

Let's hope he's given the money to improve the squad. Chelsea have got lots of good youngsters who can't get a game, happy hunting.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

I don’t care what some of you say, I’m delighted he’s here, I’ve enjoyed watching us play this year more than I have for a very long time, and this bloke is the reason... long may his tenure continue

Now you dwarf **** do what you’ve never done before and back your manager financially on his second summer window
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

x2
:thup:
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Ozza wrote:I don’t care what some of you say, I’m delighted he’s here, I’ve enjoyed watching us play this year more than I have for a very long time, and this bloke is the reason... long may his tenure continue

Now you dwarf **** do what you’ve never done before and back your manager financially on his second summer window
Pretty much this. finishing 8th-14th is a lot easier to swallow for me at least when you play football that I can say I enjoyed watching and Pellers has done that plenty of times this season and we could still finish on 52 points which would be an increase of 10 on last season.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

The stats and league position won't suggest too much progress has been made.

I think they lie.

I love to watch us play. It's inconsistent and sometimes frustrating because of it............but I think we are reaching a level of play that we haven't been capable of for quite a while.

Teams do fear playing us................because we can reach such a level (at times)

Very good sides reach those heights most of the time. That's where we have to improve. We are capable but not often enough.

Still, apart from the Wimbledon nonsense I've enjoyed this season.

Arsenal and Tottenham beaten. And points off Liverpool and Chelsea.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Some of the football has been sublime. It may not always have come off but you can see what he is trying to instil
dubaihammer

Post by dubaihammer »

Two major achievements.
A major improvement in playing style.
Not spending the season fearing relegation.

Could have been better but its definitely been controlled improvement.
a few young players on also...what more could we want
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

It has been a long time since I've felt optimism at this club - and I actually enjoy seeing us play the game well. We're better passing, running and creating more and more chances. We looked deadly many times this season on the counter, and that's something we've been lacking for ages. Potential for a 10 point gain from last season, and really a great crop of signings this season. If we can keep the core of this team in place, we could seriously push for a top 7 spot next season, just need an offload of the moody and ineffective up top and replace them with some hungry fellas - if we can find 'em. I think we could shock some people next season! :scarfer:
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Who knows how good it could have been if:

- we'd had less injuries
- we didn't have such an Arnautovic-shaped hole in the middle of our season

I'm not sure quite enough has been made about the former. The latter, surely it's no coincidence that we hit the ropes just as Arnie was having his strop.

As with others, I feel that the intent is there and when it works, it's wonderful. Comparing a mid-table finish under Pellegrini and the likes of Curbishley or Allardyce shows a big difference.

Got to back the gaffer in the summer, if you don't you'll undo any good work that's already been done.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

And most importantly, should have won our last 4 with 4 more points on the board. We'd be 8th.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

If we can beat Watford on the final game of the season and finish 10th, the season will have a much better feel about it.

Top half, 10 more points than last season and an acceptable goal difference of -5 at worst.

It’s still a little disappointing how our season unravelled after January, but ending with 3 wins on the trot would repair some of the damage.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Some of the football has been sublime. It may not always have come off but you can see what he is trying to instil
That's the biggest plus of all for me this season. Amongst the prolonged injuries and Arnies antics, I've mostly seen a positive way of playing regardless of opposition and scoreline. We are now starting to turn into a slick attractive team to watch who can mix it with anyone on our day. I'm cautiously optimistic for next season should we repeat the summer transfers like last summer. Big ask, but if anyone can do it, Pellegrini can.