Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

Crouchend_Hammer

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Thu May 09, 2019 1:02 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:
I point out that on paper we have a better squad than the last season at the Boleyn and despite spending 80M we have less points and will end up lower in the league. that's a fact not an opinion.
Whilst our squad is probably better now, so is nearly everyone elses as well. We haven't improved our squad in a vacuum.
Chelsea came 10th and Liverpool 8th in 2016, it was a freakish year.
Of course, it is impossible to know, but I reckon Pelligrini would have got us at least top 6 that season

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 am

we spent a bit last summer after years of not spending much so no wonder the 89m injection didn't affect our final position too much as all teams have improved.
forget the top 6 as we are not ready for that , if ever.

we need to concentrate on the teams around us such as everton wolves Leicester Bournemouth palace Watford. can we get above that lot is the question for next season ? I am unsure about the first 3 as they all have wealthy investors and a better team than us currently.

one thing is for sure there is no one better for us than pelle at the moment and I fully support him despite some concerns this season. next season is the one where we will find out if he can take us to the next level; 7th !

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Thu May 09, 2019 8:19 am

Romford_Iron wrote:
Personally you just seem to be coming across as very negative towards Pellers at the moment, despite a lot of good performances recently. So I’m just confused what you’re position is right now, because if you’re not advocating sacking him, to me, you must just be having a bit of a whine for no real reason.
I think that the point you seem to be missing, is that we critique players on a game by game basis, so why not the manager. It helps to manage expectations.

I don't think (bar one), I have seen anyone call for him to be sacked. I don't think I have seen anyone say he is a poor manager, but neither has he proved anything other than with a huge investment, you can be mid table.

We didn't do well in either of the cups. We didn't challenge for a top six spot and in terms of clean sheets we are third from bottom. That's even more remarkable when our Keeper has just won player of the year.

There have been some great performances and some god awful ones.

I don't think he has been better than Bilic was in our last Boleyn season.

We are a team in transition (depending on transfer spend this summer), but you talk about the modern football fan, there is nothing more modern than making out people to be 'best ever' which causes the opposite when things aren't going well. Building a week on week picture helps to manage expectations.

I am one of those who always calls always for stability and time, but that means recognising the journey not just the headlines.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 am

Interesting to see his selection today and whether he goes all out for a high finish

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Sat May 11, 2019 9:48 am

bristolhammerfc wrote:Interesting to see his selection today and whether he goes all out for a high finish
I don't know what he'll be selecting today, perhaps a 5 a side, but tomorrow's selection will be more interesting. :wink:

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 am

I'm not all that fussed about the result, I just want us to make sure we continue playing the right way in an attacking exciting fashion.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Sat May 11, 2019 9:57 am

-DL- wrote:
I don't know what he'll be selecting today, perhaps a 5 a side, but tomorrow's selection will be more interesting.:
Have you not been invited to the Andy Carroll and Winston Reid testimonial match mate :oops:

bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:24 am

I’m happy to give him another season but I’m not really convinced. I think the last couple of results paper over the cracks. Spurs were clearly thinking about Ajax and Southampton on the beach. It may be a bit ageist but all the clubs doing exciting things have young vibrant managers. We may see some slight steady improvement under the current regime but I doubt we will see anything really exciting like what Rodgers and Nuno are doing.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sat May 11, 2019 10:43 am

bubbles500 wrote:I’m happy to give him another season but I’m not really convinced. I think the last couple of results paper over the cracks. Spurs were clearly thinking about Ajax and Southampton on the beach. It may be a bit ageist but all the clubs doing exciting things have young vibrant managers. We may see some slight steady improvement under the current regime but I doubt we will see anything really exciting like what Rodgers and Nuno are doing.
Rodgers is riding a new manager bounce, far to early to put any stock into what he's doing, and but for a dodgy linesman we'd have taken 3 points off him.

I'm tired of the 'well we played well but the other team didnt care' excuse that gets peddled. Last year against Moyes and now again this season, surely the fact that we are bothered and not 'on the beach' like our opponents supposedly are should be commended not used against the manager.

-DL-
Match thread guru

Post by -DL- » Sat May 11, 2019 10:46 am

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Have you not been invited to the Andy Carroll and Winston Reid testimonial match mate :oops:
I was planning on going, but I'm injured.

bristolhammerfc

Post by bristolhammerfc » Sat May 11, 2019 10:51 am

-DL- wrote: I was planning on going, but I'm injured.
You elite athletes and your minor injury moans :wink:

bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 am

This last game really does make a difference how you judge him. 9th and a 10 pt improvement is a decent season. 12 th and 7 pts is a bit meh considering the hopes at start of season.

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Sat May 11, 2019 11:01 am

bubbles500 wrote:This last game really does make a difference how you judge him. 9th and a 10 pt improvement is a decent season. 12 th and 7 pts is a bit meh considering the hopes at start of season.
3 points changing your opinion from decent to meh is pretty fickle.

Especially when you consider the sheer amount of injuries, the improved home form, the emergence if Rice and Diangana, the improvement of Antonio and Snodgrass, the Arnie situation derailing us, and the 5 points stolen from us against Man Utd and Leicester

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 am

bubbles500 wrote:I’m happy to give him another season but I’m not really convinced. I think the last couple of results paper over the cracks. Spurs were clearly thinking about Ajax and Southampton on the beach. It may be a bit ageist but all the clubs doing exciting things have young vibrant managers. We may see some slight steady improvement under the current regime but I doubt we will see anything really exciting like what Rodgers and Nuno are doing.
The Greatest Manager [ in my opinion ] that British Football has ever seen was 71 when he eventually retired and his Club , Manchester United have yet to replace him successfully -

It was always going to take more than one summer transfer window for Pellegrini to get in the players he wanted , with West Ham you're always having to make do , yes he was allowed 3 big money players but the rest were about seeing who was available at the right price - I'm still not entirely convinced who is buying half these players - Yarmolenko didn't look like a Pellegrini signing to me but I'd be happy to be corrected .

You cannot pick and choose your results - were Manchester United on the beach , were Everton , were Liverpool , were Arsenal ? You can only play what's in front of you - Tottenham looked even worse when they lost 0-1 to Ajax so I'm not convinced they weren't trying against us .

For Pellegrini to have done as well as he has done considering he had a full team out injured at one point is testament to his man management and tactical skills - I'm expecting only improvement next season .

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Sat May 11, 2019 11:33 am

I see it the same as you, jackhammer.

Junco Partner
Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Post by Junco Partner » Sat May 11, 2019 11:51 am

There is a definite shape and style to our play emerging which much more than stats points totals and final placing is the most pleasing thing from his first season.

A snappy passing game, attacking full-backs, patient side-to-side build ups and an effective quick counter-attack mode are hall-marks of his philosophy and after the turgid dross of Sam and Moyes's panicky negativtivity it's a joy.

Better still is the desire to win or at least compete in every game - away to Man City, Old Trafford, Arsenal....we could have/should have won at all those, and it was heartening to see us try to beat the SKY clubs.

So more power to you Senor Pellers, I feel with another few judicious signings and now a whole season of his methods being implemented we could be on to something good next term. I haven't felt this optimistic since 06/07 :arry:

Colours never run

Post by Colours never run » Sat May 11, 2019 11:55 am

Hear hear, Junco.

Danny's Dyer Acting

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Sat May 11, 2019 11:58 am

We didn't win the league and there are 4 teams in UEFA finals and we're not.

Sack the doddery old fool.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:38 am

I've felt a whole different vibe this season (in a good way). It's true that Bilic first season was similar but it's impossible to overestimate the impact Payet had on the premier league. After the first half a dozen games teams started to stand off round the box because they didn't want to face one of his free kicks. In reality he probably only scored a couple but it felt like he'd score every other time. In the form he showed that season he was worth 10 points to any team whoever was manager. Not sure it mattered who was in charge! Very happy with pellers so far, let's hope he continues to improve us.

Romford_Iron

Post by Romford_Iron » Sun May 12, 2019 12:40 am

bristolhammerfc wrote:I think that the point you seem to be missing, is that we critique players on a game by game basis, so why not the manager. It helps to manage expectations.
Ah maybe I’m not explaining myself correctly (it wouldn’t be the first time :D). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with assessing the manager week-by-week (I even said that in my last post). I just meant that with managers you have to look at the bigger picture as well because they may possibly realise the weaknesses of their squad and might have some ideas about how to address them in the close season. Managers could change their fortunes by making a couple of shrewd purchases. A player out of form isn’t going to rekindle it by buying a new pair of boots - if you get where I’m coming from?!

But I never said everything is amazing. I’ve only said I think he deserves another season based on what I’ve seen this season. My modern football fan comment was more related to fans reviewing everything each week and not looking at the bigger picture. Clubs go through managers so quickly these days and I don’t find that surprising given how much everything is reviewed week-to-week. I just think it’s far to easy for fans to forget how far they’ve come.

I mean a year ago, we weren’t playing attractive football, we weren’t bleeding youngsters, we didn’t give it a go at the bigger clubs, and we also did pretty **** in the cups as well. Fast forward a year and we are doing better on all fronts - apart from the cups.

And that’s what my point was. There has been progress and he has been trying to do things the right way. I personally think it’s a little bit unrealistic to expect a manager to come in and completely change the club in one season, especially after years of under investment, and with the injury list he’s had. I just think if we back him again and let him build a squad more of his making, I’m sure he’ll do far better next year :thup: