Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by prophet:marginal »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
This sounds more like a Sullivan sponsored hatchet job than a report from a West Ham fan .
Give him a break! He was probably distracted by a disabled protester.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Morocco Mole wrote:I've never really bought into the whole 'Premier League Winner', 'best manager we've ever had', 'we're lucky to have him' line personally.

Don't get me wrong, I like him - he's a gent and he's got us playing some nice stuff at times but there are flaws. Chiefly, I think he fundamentally underestimates the importance of physicality/athleticism in the English game to the point of stubbornness.

In the long term, of the two, I think it's Husillos that's the real value....

This.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Smonnie wrote:
He had the choice to be sensible.

We've already chopped and changed our back four by 50%, and we've only played two games.

Unless Balbuena had a knock (in which case why was he on the bench rather than our new boy), why on Earth did he break up the Balbuena-Diop access for an inferior partnership.

I understand that Masuaku and Cresswell are different players, but for goodness sake let's try to play a settled back four when we can!

Further forward, our tallest, strongest player was Snoddy.

Poor set up.
My comment was very clearly in response to someone talking about choosing between Hernandez and Ajeti up front.

Please please please can people stop quoting my posts and linking them to something I'm not talking about. Keeps happening.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Morocco Mole wrote:I think he fundamentally underestimates the importance of physicality/athleticism in the English game to the point of stubbornness.

In the long term, of the two, I think it's Husillos that's the real value....
I think he does which is why his prime target was Gomes who opted for Everton. He was widely rumoured to be after Medel for the last 2 windows. I also reckon he wanted an additional LB & RB hence why we were linked with both at varying stages of the window.

He got 2 big signings. The rest are punts. How we or he can seriously be expected to kick on from last season with 2 decent additions is beyond me. We are only 2 weeks in to the season and already us missing one of his 2 signings caused us selection issues.

We have a decent first team when everyone is fit. Squad wise, we remain average.

I'm pretty certain that MP will want 2 more signings in January. I'm also pretty certain he won't get them. We won't be in trouble as things will click sooner rather than later but I'm doubtful that this window was what was outlined to him last summer when he joined. The board are placing unnecessary pressure on him.

How many people believe that he will extend his contract or even be given the opportunity ?
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Patito wrote: Maybe if you quoted what you were replying to, it wouldn't happen.
Agreed! :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Smonnie wrote: Agreed! :thup:
It was really really ****ing obvious what I was replying to. (Here's a clue, it was the comment above!)

Don't blame me for your lack of comprehension skills.

And again, please stop misquoting me. I've asked you once nicely, and again not so nicely. No one wants this thread clogged up with this b*llocks so it's perhaps best if you don't quote me at all in future as it's clearly a struggle for you. :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

* & * "The honeymoon is over for Pellegrini"

It's started.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

Impossible first game, tricky (away) second... One point disappoints but not by much... Well hit our straps I'm certain... Some issues and disagreements about formation and tactics as there are with all managers at all clubs but I'm still happy with our boss. Would love a settled team though, so underrated
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:* & * "The honeymoon is over for Pellegrini"

It's started.
Three articles in an afternoon - criticism of his support of Wilshere, rate the start of ‘Pellegrini’s’ season (subtle mind games right there - after two ****ing games), and honeymoon is over.

Reduce funds in second season - check,
Take credit for good signings in hindsight - check
Change quoting of transfer fees between net and gross to suit agenda and always subtly spin the numbers - check
Start undermining manager on social media - check

So.unbelievably.predictable
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The gamble is that the strength of:

------------Anderson------------------------------Haller------------------------Lanzini
---------(Yarmolenko/Antonio)---------------(Hernandez/Ajeti)--------------(Fornals)

will outweigh the weaknesses elsewhere.

TBF, that's easily as good as Everton. Leicester, Wolves etc if we can get it going - it's elsewhere that will b*llocks it.

If CRFC does his comparison thread, it will show us at +1 after two games.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

What's disappointing is that the most obvious hole in the squad was some legs in centre midfield. Thought that Fornal's was gonna be that but he doesn't appear to be someone who can play there. To persist with Wilshere as a CM is a bit ridiculous. I can understand not being able to spend £50m on new fullbacks but to not address the single most obvious and desperate need is odd.

For me, with what's on offer, the strongest riposte from the 'weaknesses elsewhere' at the moment look like:
  • Sanchez sitting with Rice and Noble marginally ahead of him.

Masuaku has to get given a proper run of games, as must Fredericks.

Fabianski is obviously keeper and, as matters stand,

Ogbonna partners Balbuena ahead of him.
This would allow us to set a block 5, when defending, our penalty area, from their midfield progressing towards shooting distance
  • Rice-----------Noble
    -----Sanchez---
    Ogbonna-Balbuena

Allows the full backs to shuttle up and down, as the game flows
Everard
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Everard »

hammer1975 wrote:
Three articles in an afternoon - criticism of his support of Wilshere, rate the start of ‘Pellegrini’s’ season (subtle mind games right there - after two ****ing games), and honeymoon is over.

Reduce funds in second season - check,
Take credit for good signings in hindsight - check
Change quoting of transfer fees between net and gross to suit agenda and always subtly spin the numbers - check
Start undermining manager on social media - check

So.unbelievably.predictable
it really is pathetic.

i loathe that website as much as the owners. oh, wait a minute...
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The fact that the boards gimp is starting to publish tripe like this, should make those of you doubting Pellers, unite in support for the boss!

In Pellers we trust!!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Whoever is manager, I think we are all agreed on one thing. All we want to see is the players work harder. Of course, we all want to see us win, especially winning with flair, but there are occasions, when you can't and you have to ground out results and to do that, they have to work hard and collectively as a unit and that means every player must play their part. Is that too much to ask ? and if it is, why does Eddie Howe get a tune out of players most weeks, many of whom, have joined Bournemouth from Championship clubs? and Chris Wilder too, who still has a few players who have risen through the ranks with him from League 2 all showing grit and determination. Playing free flowing attacking, winning football, is what we all want to see, but to do that, you've got to turn over possession and have better ball retention than our players can muster and if Pellers can't get the response he wants from the players, what he do is get them to work harder and as a unit

If nobody, not one single one of us, ever clicked on Mouthon's site, the garbage he posted on it wouldn't start stinking up this one.

Just a thought.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

prophet:marginal wrote:If nobody, not one single one of us, ever clicked on Mouthon's site, the garbage he posted on it wouldn't start stinking up this one.

Just a thought.
trouble is there's plenty who go on that site and hang on to every word.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

playing devil's advocate -

for example is OGS's honeymoon period over at ManU for example ?

Marco Silva at Everton ? how long will Bruce get at the Barcodes ? Javi Garcia at Watford ? Rogers at Leicester ?

any manager really in today's day and age.........unless you're winning stuff like Klopp, or the club's darling i.e. Lampard or OGS - not long I reckon - Sari got binned off at Chelsea after coming 3rd and having a good go in the Cups - won the Euro Cup.

Pellers has had 1 pre season and 1 full season with the squad. this isn't a knock, but how long is a "honeymoon" supposed to last ?

if it were in the press, say by one of the proper journo's associated with the club, would everyone be up in arms about it or say "honeymoon - is it over - what's your opinion ?"

like I say, just playing devil's advocate.....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mattyD wrote:What's disappointing is that the most obvious hole in the squad was some legs in centre midfield. Thought that Fornal's was gonna be that but he doesn't appear to be someone who can play there. To persist with Wilshere as a CM is a bit ridiculous. I can understand not being able to spend £50m on new fullbacks but to not address the single most obvious and desperate need is odd.
Was it? Thought the gaping holes in our backline were more a priority.

It's more the formation/tactics, than the personnel in midfield that I feel is letting us down to protect the defence more. The Midfielders are generally starting too high and not compact enough to help out, especially out wide. The full backs keep getting isolated making their jobs much more harder. Whether it's 4231 or 4141, there's still a disconnect between the Defence and our attacking players, leaving Rice with too much to do across the backline. This is why I want to see us go with a 3 man Midfield again to plug those gaps more easily and it tended to work well most of last season. We haven't evolved enough as a squad to play formations such as 4231 convincingly yet.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

S-H wrote:The fact that the boards gimp is starting to publish tripe like this, should make those of you doubting Pellers, unite in support for the boss!

In Pellers we trust!!
I made the mistake of opening that link & reading the esteemed ‘OSB reps’ statement earlier today about Pel. Some helmet had posted it to LLTB or one of the other social media groups, clearly expecting others to agree with it.

Was heartened to watch fellow Irons greet it with about as much enthusiasm as a Harry Redknapp autobiography