Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Cellar-door »

stu1 wrote:We needed another striker though, so I don’t think we should have used the Ajeti money on anyone but Ajeti.
Also, CB is one of the lowest priority positions for us, we just bought 2, and with Reid supposedly healthy we have 4 solid PL CBs, and we brought in Cardoso who can fill in if we have an injury crisis (and doesn't count against the non-HG quota, with the chance to become HG himself).

Maripan never made much sense given his price tag and all the other places were spending was a higher priority.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Aztec Hammer wrote:
Where I hoped but I never expect out of us. If anything I expect us to get tamely turned over by a couple at both Brighton and Watford.

Pleasantly surprised that we’ve managed to steer away from disaster after that 0-5 thrashing, even whilst not playing anywhere near what we are capable of.
It’s 2013 since we opened a season this well, and I think 2012 since we opened one better, over the first three games.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Het-Field wrote:

It’s 2013 since we opened a season this well, and I think 2012 since we opened one better, over the first three games.
Its funny you should mention that, because I was wondering when we last had 4 points from out first three games. To the point, before I read your post, I was thinking about starting a thread, titled ' Our good start to the season', but then I thought better of it, coz although four from three is OK, considering two of those matches were away, the points tally, doesn't really reflect the overall performances
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

need to cement the good start with 3 points against the farmers on Saturday and then we can say we have had a good start especially as we have got the city game out of the way. I feel more confident away to city than at home. that's for much later in the season though.

wins against Newport 2-0 and Norwich 3-0 will do nicely as we head off into the break in good shape.
a lot of players away but at least noble diop haller? can have some rest
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Just let him get on with the job,he makes choices of selection that I do not agree with but so did managers like Greenwood and Lyle but like those two his intention is to play open attacking football ,it was what I was brought up on and after suffering some negative managers recently I am behind him.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Oldun wrote:Just let him get on with the job,he makes choices of selection that I do not agree with but so did managers like Greenwood and Lyle but like those two his intention is to play open attacking football ,it was what I was brought up on and after suffering some negative managers recently I am behind him.
I learnt my lesson in 1986 mate when as a kiddywink, I got excited about us signing Stewart Robson

“He ain’t a West Ham player. We’re not gonna go anywhere if that’s all he’s bringing in”, was my Grandads reaction to my youthful exuberance.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Oldun wrote:Just let him get on with the job,he makes choices of selection that I do not agree with but so did managers like Greenwood and Lyle but like those two his intention is to play open attacking football ,it was what I was brought up on and after suffering some negative managers recently I am behind him.
I think this is called The West Ham way. Us 'olduns' remember all those days in time honoured tradition and good times there were as well
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

:thup: Amen Oldun.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Puff Daddy wrote:
Its funny you should mention that, because I was wondering when we last had 4 points from out first three games. To the point, before I read your post, I was thinking about starting a thread, titled ' Our good start to the season', but then I thought better of it, coz although four from three is OK, considering two of those matches were away, the points tally, doesn't really reflect the overall performances
In fairness to you, we rarely start seasons noticeably well, and it is therefore very discussion worthy! Since 2010 we have had several 0/3 starts and in 2010 it was 0/4. In 2011 we lost the opening game in the Championship before snagging a tight win in Doncaster. 2014, 2015 and 2016 were 1/3. Even in 2012 when we were 2/3 with two clean sheets we got smacked by Swansea.

I think in 1999 we got 7 points from our first three games, which is possibly our best start to a season, in the past 20 years?
ILoveWHU
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by ILoveWHU »

Perhaps someone can clear this up for me as I wasn't at the game yesterday but was watching on a live stream.

When Felipe Anderson was substituted I could clearly hear fans booing and chanting "Ya don't know what your doing" :shock:

It seemed that it was directed at Pellegrini for taking Anderson off.

Was the chant not at Pellers?

If fans are chanting "Ya don't know what your doing" it seems pretty odd to me. Certainly goes against what I and the vast majority in this topic think.
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

I was there and it defiantly was not us.
I think it was them having a go at the ref for not making Anderson go off the pitch at his nearest point to.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Oldun wrote:I was there and it defiantly was not us.
I think it was them having a go at the ref for not making Anderson go off the pitch at his nearest point to.
Yep, he did it twice, probably to get himself and the linesmen a quick breather in the heat.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Spit on :thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ozza wrote:
Spit on :thup:
Steady on, Arthur, you've been warned!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Colours never run wrote:Steady on, Arthur, you've been warned!
Stop bringing that up...
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

7 points from 12 and exactly where I would have expected us to be after our opening 4 games.

It’s such a crying a shame that the negative moments attract far more posts than the positive ones though. Which is just human nature I suppose. In opinion he’s the best manager we’ve had in the entirety of my 30 years wandering this planet. We’re lucky to have him.

I do wonder a lot of the time whether he’d be getting as much stick as he does if we were still playing at the Boleyn. I personally don’t think he would, and (over-generalising a bit here) if the majority of you guys hate the board for moving us to an athletic stadium as much as you make out you do, why are you guys now holding the manager to a different set of expectations do to a decision he had no part in?

I fear too many of us have bought into the “next level” line because of the move and because it’s **** we’re pissed off and won’t be happy until we either get a better stadium or have truly moved onto the next level. Which makes us our own worse enemy. Because, as we’re not getting anywhere with the stadium, we’re putting pressure on a manager and squad (many whom weren’t even at the club when that decision was made) to perform at the “next level” and then holding them accountable when they’re not.

As always it’s the boards fault for not delivering what they promised and continuously directing the conversation away from themselves, but none of this is Pellers fault.

At the end of the day, Pellers is a perfect gent. He also plays attacking football, always has a go at opponents, signs high calibre players with massive sell on potential, uncovers little bargain gems from South America, makes the most of the budget given to him and also gives youth a chance.

What more would you want as a West Ham? If it’s the next level, more players (or funds to buy them) or better stadium/facilities, then you’re in the wrong thread. Either-way, I wish the board would be held accountable as much as the manager does when we lose a game.

:crest:
Last edited by Romford_Iron on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'll only critique him based on what happens on the field....

nothing to do with the OS
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I'll only critique him based on what happens on the field....

nothing to do with the OS
Yeah I don’t think there’s anything wrong with critiquing him, but I’m more just posing the question whether anyone agrees that moving from our spiritual home under the promise of moving to the next level financially and competitively (which has never materialised) has changed our expectations?

We just seen a bit more demanding as fans than we were before the move imo.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

can't speak for anyone else of course, but not from me mate.

if the team's playing well, it's down to him, and equally if they're playing shyte it's down to him.

no matter to me whether it's at the old place or at the OS. obviously I'd love for us to be at the old girl, but it's not his fault we moved. in fact he was never there at all so I don't see that.

I'll question his subs, admit the team played well (like we did today for sure) and/or his formations - but that's based purely on who we have on the field. nowt to do with where we play. I don't have more (or less) expectations at all.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Romford_Iron wrote:7 points from 12 and exactly where I would have expected us to be after our opening 4 games.

It’s such a crying a shame that the negative moments attract far more posts than the positive ones though. Which is just human nature I suppose. In opinion he’s the best manager we’ve had in the entirety of my 30 years wandering this planet. We’re lucky to have him.

I do wonder a lot of the time whether he’d be getting as much stick as he does if we were still playing at the Boleyn. I personally don’t think he would, and (over-generalising a bit here) if the majority of you guys hate the board for moving us to an athletic stadium as much as you make out you do, why are you guys now holding the manager to a different set of expectations do to a decision he had no part in?

I fear too many of us have bought into the “next level” line because of the move and because it’s **** we’re pissed off and won’t be happy until we either get a better stadium or have truly moved onto the next level. Which makes us our own worse enemy. Because, as we’re not getting anywhere with the stadium, we’re putting pressure on a manager and squad (many whom weren’t even at the club when that decision was made) to perform at the “next level” and then holding them accountable when they’re not.

As always it’s the boards fault for not delivering what they promised and continuously directing the conversation away from themselves, but none of this is Pellers fault.

At the end of the day, Pellers is a perfect gent. He also plays attacking football, always has a go at opponents, signs high calibre players with massive sell on potential, uncovers little bargain gems from South America, makes the most of the budget given to him and also gives youth a chance.

What more would you want as a West Ham? If it’s the next level, more players (or funds to buy them) or better stadium/facilities, then you’re in the wrong thread. Either-way, I wish the board would be held accountable as much as the manager does when we lose a game.

:crest:
He is doing a good job and plays nice football, but he has yet to achieve the same level of success as Redknapp or Pardew in my opinion.