Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by woodford »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:03 am I am as disappointed with the result as anyone, but you can be sure he won't lose his job with a League Cup defeat.

He will lose his job and his wages if we don't finish in the top 8

He is playing percentages. We may not like it, but I can understand it.
This exactly.

Is it an annoying result ? Yes of course. Will it really matter, No.

Fact is our league position matters a great deal more to the club than the Carabao cup. Sorry if that cuts too deep for some. We dont have 2 first teams, get over it.

Had we picked up a couple of key injuries last night , there would be the same meltdown but for different reasons
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

exactly and if we manage to get top 6 this will be seen as a blessing ! by the club not the fans I might add.

must make him concerned about his subs bench though as some players are simply no longer good enough zabaleta Snodgrass sanchez. he must be also wondering about ajeti and fornals whthere they will be good enough.

at least Holland did ok and I hope pelle gives him a chance.

based on last nights mess I would pick the following for Saturday:

fabianski
fredericks diop ogbonna cresswell
noble rice fornals?
yarmolenko haller anderson

subs roberto masuaka balbuena snodgrass holland ajeti wilshere

the issue is the third place in midfield fornals or wilshere?

would take a draw now
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am exactly and if we manage to get top 6 this will be seen as a blessing ! by the club not the fans I might add.

If we get top 6 this year, most of our fans would be well chuffed. Are you honestly saying you wouldn't care about top 6 as long as we had a good go in the Carabao Cup. Be honest.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Has Pellegrini just put Wilshere, Sanchez, on the transfer list?
Can't see Ajeti lasting long either.

Good to see Pellegrini slamming the players in public.
BobbyWHU
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by BobbyWHU »

I don't take this finish 6th malarkey, the odds are so against us finishing 6th - it just isn't going to happen. This reminds me of when we lost to astra - we won't have the depth to compete in the europa league so it's best we are out. We have to start living in the now and try and win a trophy, and that means giving it all in every cup we are in. To concede 8 goals over 2 games against 2 teams from league 1 in the space of 9 months is utterly shambolic, and it lies with the manager.

A couple bad results over the next 2 weeks or a injury to Rice or Haller the whole thinking we can get 6th will be wiped out.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

After last night talk of 6th place sounds like ga-ga land.
But this team are so Jekyll and Hyde who knows?
As many on here have said we're just as capable of finishing 16th as 6th. :asleep:
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

If the club cared about cups it would have done something to strengthen the squad in the summer after being beaten by Wimbledon last year. We didn’t improve our back up goalkeeper, we didn’t improve our back up defence, we didn’t improve our back up attack. At this point it’s debatable if we improved our back up midfield. The team last night must have had some record low run speed (Holland apart).

Players, manager and board all somewhat culpable for last night imo
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Thing is.... if our fringe players (decent ones at that) cant be trusted to go out and compete against Oxford then when would you ever play your fringe players? I thought that was a decent 11 we put on the field last night and if anything I thought playing Diop was overkill. I dont blame the manager as much as others... hes class, sounds like a complacency issue once again and if you think you can turn up against a pro outfit and not have to fight then you deserve what you get.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

caraboo cup win or 6th place I would take the cup !
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 am If the club cared about cups it would have done something to strengthen the squad in the summer after being beaten by Wimbledon last year. We didn’t improve our back up goalkeeper, we didn’t improve our back up defence, we didn’t improve our back up attack. At this point it’s debatable if we improved our back up midfield. The team last night must have had some record low run speed (Holland apart).

Players, manager and board all somewhat culpable for last night imo
Good post and your bang on
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:04 am Thing is.... if our fringe players (decent ones at that) cant be trusted to go out and compete against Oxford then when would you ever play your fringe players?
You never play six or seven of them at once. You bring in the odd fringe player when a first teamer is unavailable. You hope that the team are able to manage with a slight drop in quality but accept your chances of a positive result are hampered somewhat. If you are somehow without six first teamers you have to accept you’re probably gonna get stuffed and that fate has conspired against you.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

James P, I tend to agree. Throwing together several 'fringe' players plus a few youngsters 'must' greatly effect the cohesion and spirit needed to win a cup game and therefore you have to accept the consequences. Given that 'today' ALL teams will always field such teams then I would prefer us to put out the U23's as at least they have played together regularly, have a 'team spirit' (hopefully), and collectively should be playing for one another. Equally, as a 'supporter' I would find success or failure more acceptable.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

He is doing a fantastic job. Reshaping that squad, getting rid of high earners and setting some good foundations.

He got it right last night in my opinion. We have lost Antonio for 4 months and LanzinI for 4 weeks. It's his job to weigh all of this up and look longer term. We can't afford more injuries and he has to protect the squad.

If anything he has given some of those players a bit of rope to hang themselves with. They had the opportunity, stepped on the pitch and didn't deliver.

Hopefully the dwarf will also take note and back the manager in the summer...but probably not.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 am caraboo cup win or 6th place I would take the cup !
Surely we all would!?

If we did win it, I hope we'd have a parade.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Defence is still a major headache. The expected goals against stats show we were a bit lucky to keep clean sheets against Villa and Man Utd. Perhaps the Oxford result shouldn't be that surprising if you consider it a reversion to the mean.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

James P wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:46 am You never play six or seven of them at once. You bring in the odd fringe player when a first teamer is unavailable. You hope that the team are able to manage with a slight drop in quality but accept your chances of a positive result are hampered somewhat. If you are somehow without six first teamers you have to accept you’re probably gonna get stuffed and that fate has conspired against you.
Apart from Ajeti, Holland and Sanchez everyone knows each others game inside out. So I don't buy that.
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

miles wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:10 am Defence is still a major headache. The expected goals against stats show we were a bit lucky to keep clean sheets against Villa and Man Utd. Perhaps the Oxford result shouldn't be that surprising if you consider it a reversion to the mean.
To be fair, you’re not wrong.

As improved as I think our defence has been since the City game, teams have continuously missed sitters against us that 9/10 would be scored.

Will Hughes from a yard out missed the target. Todd Cantwell’s header at the back post should’ve been buried. Jack Grealish should have done a lot better with just Fabianski to beat but he made a mess of it. Then finally Juan Mata’s sitter on Sunday.

Not that we didn’t deserve to pick up points in those matches, but we’ve been very lucky at times.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

9/10 would score, get 4 have been missed...

1/10 miss by that logic, so those 4 chances being missed is a 1/10,000 chance.

Either we're the luckiest team in the world, or more likely, players miss easy chances every week.

We must be the only fans in the world that see a clean sheet and instantly say 'yeah we've kept 4 clean sheets in a row but we didn't deserve any of them.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 am Apart from Ajeti, Holland and Sanchez everyone knows each others game inside out. So I don't buy that.
Don't buy it. No skin off my nose.

It's not about knowing each other's game. It's about the incremental drop in quality every time you remove a first team player.

I believe, if we replaced Fabianski with Roberto over a season, we could well lose a good six points. I truly believe that. Replace Fabianski with Roberto and I think our chances of winning a game drop considerably.

Then take out Noble and Rice, who have been absolutely key to our positive results this season, and I think the chances of winning a match fall massively again.

Then bring in Zabaleta at RB, we are weakened further still. Then replace Haller with a forward who has only been in the country a few months and is far from proven. Then add a young debutant in Holland. Suddenly the gap in quality is a chasm and the chances of you winning a match has plummeted from where they would be with your first team playing.

You asked "when would you ever rely on your fringe players?". My answer is clear. You never rely on 6 or 7 of your fringe players at once. Not if you give the slightest toss about winning. The reduction in ability is just too great.
swerley

Post by swerley »

The mood swing in under two hours is remarkable. Just like my old lady.