Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

surprised after such a rich vein of form and probably our best player so far this season, Yarmo got dropped.

:o
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:18 pm surprised after such a rich vein of form and probably our best player so far this season, Yarmo got dropped.
I would imagine he was rested rather than dropped
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

however you put it, our best player didn't play. it's early doors so he shouldn't be cream crackered. and he didn't travel halfway around the world either.

didn't see the game so don't know if he would have made a difference. best players play.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

My fear is that we are starting to see the Slaven effect. Lot's of promise early on, real potential on the teamsheet, but after the honeymoon period is over we see a team that looks lazy, unmotivated, lacking in method and bang average.

A team containing Lanzini and Anderson should be dynamic and have some flair. We showed nothing today. Barely looked like scoring at any point.

Palace was poor and this was worse. Pellers needs to do something asap.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2491 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Our players aren't lazy, they aren't unfit - they are just all clumped together in an unbalanced midfield that is naturally slow.

We play 4-1-4-1, and TBH, with the exception of Arfur - the 4-1.....-1 did what they could today - but the midfield was absolutely shocking and this formation relies on the 4 between Rice and Haller to get up and down the pitch at pace to provide support where it's needed, but they just don't. They are much of a muchness.

The signing of Fornals looks, at this stage, like an horrendous failure to prioritise correctly.

Snodgrass starts for me from this point onwards, with Wilshere, Fornals, Lanzini and Noble essentially playing for one position.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 pm Our players aren't lazy, they aren't unfit - they are just all clumped together in an unbalanced midfield that is naturally slow.

We play 4-1-4-1, and TBH, with the exception of Arfur - the 4-1.....-1 did what they could today - but the midfield was absolutely shocking and this formation relies on the 4 between Rice and Haller to get up and down the pitch at pace to provide support where it's needed, but they just don't. They are much of a muchness.

The signing of Fornals looks, at this stage, like an horrendous failure to prioritise correctly.

Snodgrass starts for me from this point onwards, with Wilshere, Fornals, Lanzini and Noble essentially playing for one position.
You are being kind on Rice IMHO.
If he is playig the 1 in 4-1 he did a very poor job of it. He provided no protection at all and the game completely passed him by.
I don't think Haller was much better in the lone striker role either.
All of the back 4 were OK given how little protection/ support they got, with ogbonna the pick of the bunch again
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Lanzini used to play wide left for us - a position that Anderson now fills. would it be better to drop Anderson and move Lanzini back wide ? neither seem to be "pulling up trees."
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

He’s really starting to grate on me, he should be doing better with that team
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 pm You are being kind on Rice IMHO.
If he is playig the 1 in 4-1 he did a very poor job of it. He provided no protection at all and the game completely passed him by.
I don't think Haller was much better in the lone striker role either.
All of the back 4 were OK given how little protection/ support they got, with ogbonna the pick of the bunch again
Rice is 20 and getting no help from the lads along side him.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2491 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Rice is being hung out to dry, Crouchie.

Our players got caught in possession 20 times today and whenever they rolled forward Rice was essentially there with the back 4 hoping to hold the fort.

Noble, Fornals, Lanzini were awful. Part of the reason for that is that they shouldn't all be on the pitch at the same time.
Crouchend_Hammer

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:24 pm Rice is being hung out to dry, Crouchie.

Our players got caught in possession 20 times today and whenever they rolled forward Rice was essentially there with the back 4 hoping to hold the fort.

Noble, Fornals, Lanzini were awful. Part of the reason for that is that they shouldn't all be on the pitch at the same time.
He certainly isn't getting any help but he is being touted as an £80m player so should be doing a better job of breaking up opposition attacks.
He needs to improve his positioning and not go walkabout. Iwobi, who was playing a central role, had the freedom of Goodison Park
I think we need a proper disciplined DM alongside him.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:40 pm He certainly isn't getting any help but he is being touted as an £80m player so should be doing a better job of breaking up opposition attacks.
He needs to improve his positioning and not go walkabout. Iwobi, who was playing a central role, had the freedom of Goodison Park
I think we need a proper disciplined DM alongside him.
He's not going walkabout, he's trying to cover for players who aren't working hard enough. You can be the best player in the world, but if you are outnumbered there's not much you can do.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:40 pm I think we need a proper disciplined DM alongside him.
That Gomes bloke looked good.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

The options to resolve the midfield problem are all the same as last season.

We haven’t progressed at all. That seemed likely at the end of the transfer window. The only difference to last season is ridiculously inflated expectations. We’ll continue to have games and spells where we are hopelessly uncompetitive because Pellegrini tries to be too technical and not pragmatic, we’ll then have spells where we put a run together and people will get carried away. Today was unacceptable but it won’t be the last time imo.

Whether that’s the manager, the players, the board or (more likely) a combo of all of them is unclear.

Take a positive. At least our balance sheet and PnL numbers will look shiny this year though.
Diz
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by Diz »

Truth is basically half the squad don't give a ****. I rate Pellergrini and want him to succeed here but it's the lacklustre attitude that comes to head in many games that piss me off. All well and good slating the team afterwards but let's face it, it's not like we didnt see this coming. Little signs, only half the squad came over to "thank us" the other, just walked off. Theyhave no affinity to us, they're picking up thousands a week That in itself is for the manager to implement. Only Diop and Ogbonna can come with any credit, bizarre seeing as we lost. Roberto some great saves but needs to command the back line better. As for the rest they have shown why we won't be top 8 this season
e17
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 971 likes

Post by e17 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:24 pm Rice is being hung out to dry, Crouchie.

Yeah spot on Bubs

It’s getting tiring to watch to be honest
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

I can’t locate the part in MP’s interview where he had the decency and good manners to at least apologise to the 3,000 poor souls that travelled and paid to watch that today!?
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 pm Our players aren't lazy, they aren't unfit - they are just all clumped together in an unbalanced midfield that is naturally slow.

I agreed in some points.

I really felt last game against Palace, thats was a typical game for a player like Snodgrass.

We are also missing something Obiang did last season.

In the first goal against Everton away last season, he did the pass to Arnie for the 0-1

He could have been not the best player technically, but someone was not suffering from such a "changing mentality" as Anderson sometines.. like now... where he looks to be mentally somewhere else...
Crouchend_Hammer

Obiang, despite being inconsistent, did offer us something different as he could play between the lines and could deliver a cracking through ball

I think Rice could play that Obiang role..., pushing further forward, breaking up play but with licence to attack more and make key passes

Trouble is we then need someone to sit behind him
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

And we will have Sheffield United next week, who will will right in our faces. A game for Snodgrass with Lazini dropping out with Fornals.

We were told Obiang would be replaced and Fornals was not his replacement, he was essentially a replacement for Nasri.

So looks like Sullivan has hung Pellers out to dry, with everybody questioning Pellers judgement on replacing Obiang for Fornals.