Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I think we are in a bit of danger. Our last 5 fixtures should not be returning 2 points. 3 home games against very mediocre opposition and we've picked up a point. 2 away games (against a Bournemouth side who have struggled for goals and an Everton team in the bottom 3) and we've picked up a point.

Look beyond the fact it's a results business anyway, performances have been shambolic and line ups questionable. The two players he has dropped are 2 players who have played ok. Lack pace? Bring in Zabaleta? Lack creativity? Take off Anderson early twice? His decisions are just bizarre.

Very very worrying...and I'm losing my trust in him to turn this around. Bilic went when eventually performances were starting to match the poor results. Well, I can see no difference here, and Bilic went early November...
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Boooogers! wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:12 pm I'd give him three games to turn it around. He's very close to losing the dressing room - looks like the players have all but lost faith
So Burnley away, Tottenham at home and Chelsea away? We'll get one point from that if we're lucky.

We have had one good performance all season which was the Norwich game. We have collected 1 point at home from Roy Hodgson's Palace, Chris Wilder's Sheffield United and Steve Bruce's Newcastle. We got thumped 4-0 to Oxford, we play lacklusture, predictable football and we have players getting dropped who don't deserve to be dropped. Pellegrini is a luxury manager, stubborn to play his way of football when he doesn't have the tools to do so. You can slate the board for not giving him the funds, but he hasn't kicked up a fuss about it and that's because hes taking home £8 million a year for mediocrity.

We need to go for a younger manager who has something to prove and an incentive to come to a club like West Ham and take us into a direction. I wouldn't be too annoyed if we monitored Danny Cowley at Huddersfield this season and tried to snap him up instead.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

He's been found out. With average players and an average budget he's lost.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

He looks clueless. Picking Zabaleta and Balbuena today was criminal. Over 7 million a year? Wow.

Perhaps he wants his pay off so he can back to China for a few years and get paid a fortune doing eff all like Arnie has.
Last edited by smuts on Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

k-r-c wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:37 pmWe can always say it stems from the owners and I side with it does.
And until they change, or change their ways, it doesn't matter who is in charge of the team.

Take Diop out of today's defence and the entire lot, including subs, cost £8m.

Roberto, Zabaleta, Fredricks, Balbuena and Cresswell. 8 million quid.

That's why we continue to struggle.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Watching today you wouldn’t believe we had a training ground. They looked like utter strangers. No one seemed to know where anyone else was going to be or how to find them.

A top manager is supposed to add that special something to a group of players. Our lot seem to be playing worse than the sum of their parts.

Pellegrini can thank his lucky stars that he has a face and reputation that fits amongst many fans. If he was British and considered attritional he’d be attracting dogs’ abuse.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Cowley
Dyche
Wilder

Someone with a bit of passion. This guy is a clown and predictable. It’s about pace,power and desire. This guy went to China to chase £
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:20 pm He's been found out. With average players and an average budget he's lost.
It's the effect he seems to have of reducing average players to poor players that's concerning me.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Who would swap him for Jose?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Marky wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm Cowley
Dyche
Wilder

Someone with a bit of passion. This guy is a clown and predictable. It’s about pace,power and desire. This guy went to China to chase £
Moyes?
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

The squad he has assembled has so many flaws in it.
Very poor backup goalkeeper, poor defence, slowest premier league midfield in history, physically weak players. Short on forwards, with the main man Haller looking lost in recent weeks.
Apart from that it’s great. :phew:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm And until they change, or change their ways, it doesn't matter who is in charge of the team.

Whilst I sympathise with this to an extent - do we look like we have a £150m attack?

Who sanctioned Zabaleta's renewal?

Who decided Fornals was what our midfield needed?

Who can't see that at least Fredericks is up to the pace of the PL, whereas Zabaleta isn't?
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Certain non negotiables in sport.

Attitude, desire, fitness, organisation and preparation.

A poor Oxford second string beat an overpaid WH team 4-0. They lacked none of the above. We lacked all of them then and now.

Wilder, Howe and of course Cowley are working miracles. I'd have any of them in a heartbeat.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm Who would swap him for Jose?
Not in a million years.

1. Jose won't come here.
2. He won't be able to work with the circus in charge.
3. He'll need way more money to do what he needs to do than Pellegrini.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:23 pm And until they change, or change their ways, it doesn't matter who is in charge of the team.

Certainly. The board are to blame for the wider picture.

Pellers still spent 24m on an attacking midfielder and left our defence short though.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Jon wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:29 pm Certain non negotiables in sport.

Attitude, desire, fitness, organisation and preparation.

A poor Oxford second string beat an overpaid WH team 4-0. They lacked none of the above. We lacked all of them then and now.

Wilder, Howe and of course Cowley are working miracles. I'd have any of them in a heartbeat.
Anyone one of them (or anyone else) could come to West Ham and we'd still be crap. After 55 years I have come to the conclusion that its just the way it is.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

brothernero wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:12 pm If there becomes any kind of danger we could actually go down and while there are "safe" options out there who are not working I think they might.

Being relegated after all the hype and promise (IE Lies) in this stadium will be to much for Sullivan's ego. It would be utterly humiliating for him.

Results and performances keep going the way they are and we will be back to fans protesting and running onto the pitch.

I like Pellergrini but this season has been an utter bore fest in terms of how the team performs and his bizarre tactics, also 13 points from the first 11 games with the fixtures we were giving is no where near good enough. Then you throw in the Oxford United LC Game to add further insult.

All IMVHO.
I agree with a lot of that, next few weeks will be interesting if we don't pick up
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Doesn’t need the money and looks to have no real hunger or desire. Clueless about the back four and making three changes to it last week has actually made it worse. Give me a motivated young English manager any day.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

The board had ideas above our station getting this bloke in and thinking he’d get us top 6.

We’ve had worse managers and been in worst situations but he’s on massive money and has spent massive money.

Poor appointment and was a bad fit for our club - I was pretty much the first person on this thread when he was appointed to doubt him too, not that matters much now.

I’d happily have Moyes and Pearce back but doubt they’d even take Sullivan’s phone call after how they were treated.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

TommyHammer wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:19 pm So Burnley away, Tottenham at home and Chelsea away? We'll get one point from that if we're lucky.

We have had one good performance all season which was the Norwich game. We have collected 1 point at home from Roy Hodgson's Palace, Chris Wilder's Sheffield United and Steve Bruce's Newcastle. We got thumped 4-0 to Oxford, we play lacklusture, predictable football and we have players getting dropped who don't deserve to be dropped. Pellegrini is a luxury manager, stubborn to play his way of football when he doesn't have the tools to do so. You can slate the board for not giving him the funds, but he hasn't kicked up a fuss about it and that's because hes taking home £8 million a year for mediocrity.

We need to go for a younger manager who has something to prove and an incentive to come to a club like West Ham and take us into a direction. I wouldn't be too annoyed if we monitored Danny Cowley at Huddersfield this season and tried to snap him up instead.
Age is irrelevant. We need a manager who will put a solid structure in place that makes us a difficult team to break down and defeat. Once a solid defensive unit is in place, then you have the foundation for a winning team.