Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's possible to argue that long term injuries to Fabianski and Antonio are really hurting us.....but this summer's business is looking pretty poor.

Poor signings, and often of the wrong type and in the wrong positions.

It is the same pattern that Allardyce and Bilic endured though - of not enough being done in their second year at the club as cost-cutting went on.

Perhaps that's the answer - if they only cough up in year one, sack the manager every year and they'll have to cough up every year. The owners definitely need to go.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm Who would swap him for Jose?
Jose “just waiting for a call from the worlds biggest team” Mourinho?
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Roby wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:36 pm Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

The board had ideas above our station getting this bloke in and thinking he’d get us top 6.

We’ve had worse managers and been in worst situations but he’s on massive money and has spent massive money.

Poor appointment and was a bad fit for our club - I was pretty much the first person on this thread when he was appointed to doubt him too, not that matters much now.

I’d happily have Moyes and Pearce back but doubt they’d even take Sullivan’s phone call after how they were treated.
Oh come on mate. Moyes was just as bad, if not worse. Some people have short memories.
sxreject1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sxreject1 »

Sorry to say as I like the bloke he has to go. If possible I'd sack 80% of the players. Today wasnt acceptable.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Moyes deserved a contract and a Summer transfer window. He has a work ethic and plays the underdog card very well.

MP goes into every game thinking we're a big club. We're not. We're a VERY average top flight side. Always have been despite the great players we've seen wear the shirt.

We have consistently allowed teams to take liberties against us. We're flakey, a soft touch. Cowards. We gift points to clubs in trouble who need a win. It's gone on for my 44 years supporting West Ham. Is it that hard to address?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I've tried to remain positive and supportive of him, but I think he looks lost out there now, his team selections and substitutions are concerning.

Despite the lack of investment from the board, he should be getting a lot more out of these players.

Zabaleta shouldn't be anywhere near the starting eleven.

Worrying times.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:41 pm It's possible to argue that long term injuries to Fabianski and Antonio are really hurting us.....but this summer's business is looking pretty poor.

Poor signings, and often of the wrong type and in the wrong positions.

It is the same pattern that Allardyce and Bilic endured though - of not enough being done in their second year at the club as cost-cutting went on.

Perhaps that's the answer - if they only cough up in year one, sack the manager every year and they'll have to cough up every year. The owners definitely need to go.
That’s not true. A good manager could be successful here with the resources.

Not that Pelligrini is not a good manager, but he plays a continental system that requires players of a much higher standard to work in the fast and physical Premier League.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

I gave him up on him after the interview he gave after the everton game. One of the worst away performances in recent memory and it was just a shrug of the shoulders.

Awful attitude, awful decisions, misplaced arrogance.
And there’s no way he’s changing himself.

Make no mistake, we are going down if a decision isnt made over the international break.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

BondsoBob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:42 pm Oh come on mate. Moyes was just as bad, if not worse. Some people have short memories.
I would he say he came in and turned around a very difficult situation. Looked like we were going down after the Burnley debacle. Some of his decisions, like taking the team to Florida, were criticized, but turned out to have a galvanizing effect. By the end of the season we looked like a different team, turning over Everton after the previous thrashing showed progress had been made.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I said it at the start of the season and I'll say it again.

The dwarf is doing . his rinse and repeat trick again.

Woeful under investment for years, splurge what you should be spending over 1.5 years, then give the manager bugger all, and watch him drown to only give him nothing in his third year because he stores up another 80m quid to give to the new bloke.

Our chairmen are clueless spivs who can't run a football club successfully - never achieved anything at Brum and now making us a poor second to Bernard Cribbins bloody Geordies.

True Pelle got the team selection badly wrong both for this and Everton, but I am pretty sure he knew this season he was going to struggle and this is a result. Cresswell should never step foot in the team again he was pitiful, Zaba too old and slow, and Noble too slow and caught out of position time and time again.

We are now i for a long season I reckon, we seem to have walked off the edge of a cliff and yet we are 12th !!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Although I can sympathise with any manager working under this ownership, Pellegrini knew that at West Ham he wouldn't have the money he had at Malaga, Real Madrid or Man City. We are a mid-table team in a tough league looking to improve. Your budget has to be spent wisely and your managerial skills have to be put to work. The decisions he is making are questionable, to put it politely, and performances are matching the results. How the f*** can you drop 2 decent performers and replace them with Zabaleta and Balbuena, and then do it again the week after?

For £7m a year it was worth him taking on the challenge, but I'm starting to wonder if he is up for it.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

If the owners are having thoughts about his tenure here and the threat of being sucked into a relegation battle then we will soon know by simply checking the threads on a certain other site. If that sites threads are starting to stick the knife in then he will be gone.
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

FFS. You know things are bad when people are harking back to the 'good old day's' of David f@@@@@g Moyes.
Let's get some perspective. Yes, things are bad, and sadly it's not working out with Pellers, but to want Moyes back beggars belief.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

He's lost it. Its clear for all to see. He is not managing the team, he is lost for ideas, he is lost for inspiration and he is lost for motivation. He is not sending the team out with any game plan , nor I suspect, giving them any clear instruction and the essence of all this is, the players are confused, not knowing what their roles are and hence, the hesitancy and disjointed performances. He is showing no sign of turning this slump around; in fact, it is getting worse. He has to go
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

BondsoBob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:49 pm FFS. You know things are bad when people are harking back to the 'good old day's' of David f@@@@@g Moyes.
Let's get some perspective. Yes, things are bad, and sadly it's not working out with Pellers, but to want Moyes back beggars belief.
They were certainly anything but “good old days”. But at least it seemed like we were moving in the right direction. MP tries to play Rolls-Royce football with a team of Ford Fiestas!
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

The only positive from today was that Carroll didnt score. Surely that is the final nail in Pellers coffin.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Now I'm no fan of Sullivan, far from it, but I'd want convincing answers as to why so much of the money I'd given him last summer is either underperforming or sat on the bench before I'd give him any more.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Sorry but swap Pelle for Mourinho - you've got to be joking yes?

Take on one high earner for another, a manager who bored the tits off Man U fans and has always been at clubs that spend fortunes so will have the same issues as Pelle has.

I think we need to understand our role in life - whilst the spivs run this club we will always be mid table. You could have 11 Messi's and we'd still end up mid tale.

There's something not right at the club at the moment.
BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:51 pm They were certainly anything but “good old days”. But at least it seemed like we were moving in the right direction. MP tries to play Rolls-Royce football with a team of Ford Fiestas!
We've always been Ford Fiestas. Never really even made it up to Ford Granada status. :lol:
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

BondsoBob wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:49 pm FFS. You know things are bad when people are harking back to the 'good old day's' of David f@@@@@g Moyes.

If we did go back to Moyes, Pardew or Sam I think I might just about be done.

But Sullivan will play the blame game while looking for a safe bet.