Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by Monkeybubbles »

johnnyb wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:00 am Whatever he had as a manager has gone it seems. Or was it because he mostly had rich clubs with good players?
Rich clubs like Villareal (2nd in La Liga and Champions League Semi Final) and mighty minnows Malaga (4th in La Liga and CL quarters)?
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What we do know is how he asks the players to play is not working! one man upfront on his own? for me Pellegrini always look so tried & weary, no enthusiasm at all.Perhaps at clubs with unlimited budgets and top players it works with him, but he never enthuses me, but we are stuck with him too expensive as other have said to get rid, worries me we will have little money in January to spend, never seen the ground empty so quickly before full time in our section, then when with some luck we got goals back, last few minutes we are passing the ball sideways in the centre!
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

We've had three disappointing results in the league (Palace, SheffU and Newcastle) and people are looking for reasons to get rid and appoint Zidane. Or ****ing Dyche, that'll be ****ing great, won't it? It's all very Arsenal.

We've had midtable investment in a midtable squad, and he's probably now a midtable manager. No other manager we could attract would do significantly better. Those are the facts at West Ham United. Any ideas of "the next level" are fiction. We should be used to it.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:09 pm We've had three disappointing results in the league (Palace, SheffU and Newcastle) and people are looking for reasons to get rid and appoint Zidane. Or ****ing Dyche, that'll be ****ing great, won't it? It's all very Arsenal.
4 poor results in the league when you include Everton. They were in the bottom 3 and we were the only team they had beaten in 6 matches, not to mention how bad our performance was. Then throw in a 4-0 defeat in the cup to a League One side.

I don't want him sacked, but I do want him to try and make some positive changes, which include putting what little pace we have back into the side and Ogbonna back in. He should at least be held responsible for making poor changes which has produced some poor results. Zabaleta and Balbuena being brought into the side are on him...they weren't forced.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:09 pm We've had three disappointing results in the league (Palace, SheffU and Newcastle) and people are looking for reasons to get rid and appoint Zidane. Or ****ing Dyche, that'll be ****ing great, won't it? It's all very Arsenal.

We've had midtable investment in a midtable squad, and he's probably now a midtable manager. No other manager we could attract would do significantly better. Those are the facts at West Ham United. Any ideas of "the next level" are fiction. We should be used to it.
I don't want him to go but at the moment we are not a mid table side
We are a relegation threatened side who has had an absurdly easy fixture list and unless things change will be down at the bottom end of the table in a month or so
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:16 pm I don't want him to go but at the moment we are not a mid table side
Well, we are.

Three bad results.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:14 pm 4 poor results in the league when you include Everton. They were in the bottom 3 and we were the only team they had beaten in 6 matches, not to mention how bad our performance was. Then throw in a 4-0 defeat in the cup to a League One side.
The performance was awful, granted, but I don't think West Ham getting beat at Everton is a really disappointing result in perspective.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

rossmundo wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:43 am What has Fredrick's done to upset pellers?
As I cant see why you would play grandad over him.
They looked liked a load of strangers who met for the first time yesterday and could not be bothered to try that hard. Something massive needs to change or we will be going down with out a Shadow of doubt
Been wondering that same thing. Fredericks always seems to be made the fall guy. Zabaleta and Pellegrini obviously go back a long way but the manager hung him out dry yesterday against a totally unpredictable but bloody quick player, something Fredericks is and Zabaleta isn’t.
Crouchend_Hammer

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:26 pm Well, we are.
X
Three bad results.
13 points from the set of fixtures we have had is relegation output

We have played only two out of 12 games against the top six. None away
We have not played Leicester or Wolves

Carry on as we are and we won't be mid table for long
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Not surprised To witness another gutless, insipid performance against opposition that had not scored more than 1 goal in any other league match, who had 3 or 4 first team players missing, who by ht should have been 4 or more goals up, and to witness the slowest team in the league look around confused at each other waving their arms in the air if to say why is this happening...
Its happening because of so many factors, dropping ogbonna who has been one of the better players, droppong pacy fredericks against a team who dont have many attributes barring pace, lining up snodgrass, noble, yarmalenko in the same midfield who between them have less pace than our 85/86 midfielders who are now near enough in their 60's.
Baffling how many thought this was our best squad when its weaker than last season obiang and hernandez not replaced, young fernandez who at least had some energy not replaced, arnie replaced by a completely different striker in haller,
Get some pace and energy back in the team any way possible, fredericks masuaku back in, recall diangana
In jan and hope antonio is ready soon,
Get the midfield sorted centrally, everyone with average vison knows we are woeful in this area and need some energy, strength and legs as we simply cannot compete.
Another meh season awaits and under this stewardship it won't improve but for the love of God
Start to address the issues in the team that have been apparent for years and at least try and show 60k fans there is a spark of a plan as we havent seen one in a very very long time.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40 pm 13 points from the set of fixtures we have had is relegation output
Apart from the three recent bad results, we've drawn away from home three times, won at home twice, won away once. Only lost one game, against City. That's a long way from relegation output. That's top six.

Three bad results. Let's not worry yet. Let's give him time to srt it.
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:52 am The football under Moyes and Pearce in their last 6 games with a side theyd largely inherited was a lot better than we’ve seen in the last six under Pellegrini. Admittedly we did have Arnie but to mock Moyes as a manager because he’s not currently working is akin to doing the same with Wenger and Mourinho who also aren’t employed.
Exactly.

I think Moyes deserved more respect from our fan base for what he did for us.

Had Ogbonna playing his best season for us and turned Arnautovic into one of the best forwards in the league outside of the Champions League sides.

We already know he was scouting McGinn to be a summer signing, El Pell comes in and instead signs Wilshire and Sanchez in that centre midfield position which doesn’t look too clever.

I got the impression Moyes was actually proud to manage us, I don’t get that with Pellegrini. All his interviews have just come off like he’s doing us a massive favour in being here. All his talk of us having a ending a big club mentality, maybe he should pull his finger out his arse and show he’s a big club manager.

His results this season show he was once upon a time but not now.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:14 am I don't get this "Fornals was signed as a Nasri replacement" the bloke was here 6 months, barely played, maybe a total of 3 games, so how do you spend 24M to replace a bloke who cost nowt and hardly ever stepped foot on the field ?

:?
Exactly. How many games did Nasri play in, 5 ? of which how many made a difference to team performance, I can only think of one.
Centre midfield energy/physicality was needed and has been for at least 2 seasons, but instead he spent 24 million on Fornals. Attacking midfield was not a priority position to add to.
Yes, Pellegrini should have got more transfer funds, but he needed to spend what he did have on sorting the main weakness area on the team with it first and foremost.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Absolutely.

It’s a bit like the closing scenes in Joker with the Clowns running around shouting for Jose.
Crouchend_Hammer

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:49 pm Apart from the three recent bad results, we've drawn away from home three times, won at home twice, won away once. Only lost one game, against City. That's a long way from relegation output. That's top six.

Three bad results. Let's not worry yet. Let's give him time to srt it.
I am a long way from wanting him replaced, but given our set of fixtures between now and January we need a huge improvement on what we have seen so far this season to be mid table at the end of it

You can't say it is top six form apart from the bad results. Every club coukd say that!
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:55 pm You can't say it is top six form apart from the bad results. Every club coukd say that!
True, but you can't say it's relegation form apart from the good results.

We were doing well for quite a few games, then something changed and we're doing poorly for a few games. Three league games. If we're still playing badly in another, I dunno, four games then we might start to worry.

You know how it goes. We'll take points off of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Happy days are here again. 8-)
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Anyone who thinks we were doing well earlier in the season simply hasnt watched us,
Apart from 1 second half against norwich we have been very average...now we're not even that.
Crouchend_Hammer

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:10 pm True, but you can't say it's relegation form apart from the good results.

We were doing well for quite a few games, then something changed and we're doing poorly for a few games. Three league games. If we're still playing badly in another, I dunno, four games then we might start to worry.

You know how it goes. We'll take points off of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Happy days are here again. 8-)
We have been pretty average, at best, all season
If you set a target for these first eleven fixtures, then 13 points would be about the minimum target.
We have had a very easy set of fixtures and are four points of the bottom three.
More worrying is our performances have generally been poor as well
All of that says possible relegation scrap rather than mid table comfort to me
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

I can accept us playing badly , ive been used to it since my first game in 1971, what I cant accept is a manager playing players totally out of their depth in positions where its an absolute certainty they will be targeted by the opposition , this, week on week . I thought he looked haunted yesterday after the game . if some of the u-23's cant get a look in now , they never ever will .
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 am Rich clubs like Villareal (2nd in La Liga and Champions League Semi Final) and mighty minnows Malaga (4th in La Liga and CL quarters)?
Villarreal yes, but Malaga was an oil money project until the owner had cash flow problems.