Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by chappo59 »

Roby wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:50 pm Exactly.

I think Moyes deserved more respect from our fan base for what he did for us.

Had Ogbonna playing his best season for us and turned Arnautovic into one of the best forwards in the league outside of the Champions League sides.

We already know he was scouting McGinn to be a summer signing, El Pell comes in and instead signs Wilshire and Sanchez in that centre midfield position which doesn’t look too clever.

I got the impression Moyes was actually proud to manage us, I don’t get that with Pellegrini. All his interviews have just come off like he’s doing us a massive favour in being here. All his talk of us having a ending a big club mentality, maybe he should pull his finger out his arse and show he’s a big club manager.

His results this season show he was once upon a time but not now.
^^^^^^^^This
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

No plan for the future was there Roby?
Pretty sobering reading that .
I liked Moyes and thought he did very well considering , he also was a good coach and made us more cohesive and given time and the same budget as Pellegrini might have been a decent manager for us long term.
Last edited by 61dicksey on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

croydon

don't disagree with most of your points, but I wouldn't give him any more money to spend unless he can prove to me (us, the board, etc.) that he can get more out of the players that he has bought already.

Anderson has gone backwards, unless his purple patch was exactly that. and this is the norm.

Fornals can't get on the field so we don't know. I can't imagine he's showing much because Snoddy is starting ahead of him

Haller doesn't seem to be doing much even though we are not providing him with much. at times Arnie was doing all that and way more

Ajeti another one who can't get on the field

due to the lack of investment over the years, we are not in a position to buy projects. all of our buys need to hit the ground running or we are where we are
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:37 pm Here's an alternative perspective (which is different to trolling, for those too hysterical to see the distinction).

When your team is low on confidence, maybe a good option is to select the players with the most mental strength. Hence Zabaleta, Noble, Snodgrass, Balbuena and maybe even Cresswell (relative to Masuaku).

Zab was always likely to be owned by St Max, but he'll sleep well, dust himself down, and be ready to go again. Fred looks a little jittery at the best of times, perhaps exposing him to a fast winger with little support from out-of-form Rice, Diop and Yarmo would have broken him.
Fredericks is a 27 year old footballer playing in the PL. He's not a kid. If the manager thinks he can't face a Newcastle player at his home ground then there's no hope.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Roby wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:50 pm Exactly.

I think Moyes deserved more respect from our fan base for what he did for us.

Had Ogbonna playing his best season for us and turned Arnautovic into one of the best forwards in the league outside of the Champions League sides.

We already know he was scouting McGinn to be a summer signing, El Pell comes in and instead signs Wilshire and Sanchez in that centre midfield position which doesn’t look too clever.

I got the impression Moyes was actually proud to manage us, I don’t get that with Pellegrini. All his interviews have just come off like he’s doing us a massive favour in being here. All his talk of us having a ending a big club mentality, maybe he should pull his finger out his arse and show he’s a big club manager.

His results this season show he was once upon a time but not now.
I agree about Moyes. Thought he was unlucky not to get the gig myself, however I wonder if there was something rather iffy about the Hugill signing that blew his chance out the water.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I dislike watching this team about as much as any team of ours in recent years. The passing is constantly garbage, we are slow, bang average at set pieces, can't defend and don't work hard.

I think yesterday we passed the ball out wide to Anderson 4 or 5 times and each time he tried a first touch flick and gave the ball away. We are just so sloppy in every department. Not sure I could name a strength of ours.
whuzak

Post by whuzak »

I really am sick of our predictable, wing orientated, side to side, backward passing football with ***** crosses that search for an imaginary Andy Caroll.

Haller just isn't this type of player and he needs a Lanzini to give him what he's looking for. People moan Haller ain't done anything but jesus where is his supply to feet or well weighted high balls?

Also enough of this Noble 'Mr. West Ham legacy crap' just because a couple of games back he played well he's some sort of god I'm just sick of it. All the bloke does is slow down the momentum of play, the squad has no pace, no energy, no runners, just ****ing nothing. He has always been hot and cold other than the 2016 season finish which really should of been his last one and need I remind that Payet was the playmaker that season! Noble has to hang his boots up end of this season.

I cannot remember the last time we scored from a through ball or intricate pass play around the D. Also please please stop isolating Anderson on the wings with a predictable side pass easily read by the midfield or opposing winger. Play him in the middle of the park so he can run at players and supply Haller.

Haller will be gone end of the season if we can't play to his strengths.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

smuts wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:56 pm I agree about Moyes. Thought he was unlucky not to get the gig myself, however I wonder if there was something rather iffy about the Hugill signing that blew his chance out the water.
Nah, think it was all about the PR of being able to tout the “coup” of signing a former Man City and Real Madrid manager.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

61dicksey wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:50 pm No plan for the future was there Roby?
Pretty sobering reading that .
I liked Moyes and thought he did very well considering , he also was a good coach and made us more cohesive and given time and the same budget as Pellegrini might have been a decent manager for us long term.
Issue with Moyes is a lot of the players didn't like his training methods ... he had too many coaches doing different things and nobody binding it all together.

His results were also sometimes awful, Everton away springs to mind.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

we can blame Noble all we want. Pellers is sending him out there.

ditto for Anderson and Lanzini - playing way too deep at times. I am in the camp of American football and Basketball. get the ball in the hands of your best players. Lanzini needs to play further up the field. his combination play with Arnie was a joy to watch at times. why can't we get the team set up that way again ? Haller for Arnie of course.

do we have less of a chance with Fornals in the Noble role ? who knows we never see it unless it's 20 minutes or less at the end of a game.

I am not knocking Noble I love what he brings to the team but like any other player, if he's ineffective then replace him. there's no place for sentiment in today's game. could Ajeti be worse than Haller right now ? we don't know because......... (see Fornals).

Roberto is worse than useless although the players in front of him are less than blameless. I pointed out last season that we were letting too many shots on goal, there was a reason why Fabianski made more saves than any other keeper and we kept about as many clean sheets as Fulham and Huddersfield. we needed to fix that. I want my keeper to make less saves than most of the rest of the league.

the team looks less than motivated, starting line ups and substitutions leave you scratching your head. after a season plus Pellers doesn't still seem to know his starting line up, players starting seem to be those who were the least worse the preceding game.

sometimes.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I maybe boring but I still think our best manager in recent years was Sam

Big Sam - Poor team, still got results, football poor but we were solid at the back
Billic - Inherited the big sam defence plus an absolute anomaly in Payet and a bit of Lanzini, as soon it dried up a bit we was conceding for fun
Moyes - Made the team solid, improved fitness levels, okay ish football, got Arnie to thrive and look class
Pellers - Had our best squad in years at least attacking wise and we're still conceding for fun
Last edited by fmgod on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:43 pm Worries me that he seems to have switched to the defence that got humped at Oxford. Barring Cresswell, it's the same defence and keeper that shipped 4 in that game.
You also have to ask why he did that.

Against Palace the defence wasn't really the issue. We had the chances to win the game, but wasted them...we then gave away a silly penalty and couldn't compose ourselves as a team to even get a point.

Against Everton it was awful, but Diop and Ogbonna could actually come out with some credit.

In general we lack pace, so taking out both Fredericks and Masuaku (especially Fredericks for a slow, ageing RB) seems silly.

I don't know what he saw from our games against Palace and Everton to think messing around with the defence would solve the problem, I really don't and that's a worry in itself.
fmgod wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:14 pm
Pellers - Had our best squad in years at least attacking wise and we're still conceding for fun
I think it's even more important to point out that this very good attack he has isn't producing goals.
Last edited by il_martello_di_genovesi on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Pining for Moyes and now Big Sam..

Come on!? It's garbage at present, but it ain't that ****ing bad!
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:26 pm You're hysterical, man. Get a grip.

I was being kind referring you to a troll. The alternative wasn't as polite. I doubt many people would find the comment "Stop trolling, it's boring" hysterical either.

You said " I don't think West Ham getting beat at Everton is a really disappointing result in perspective."

This is as far away from reality as you can get. Enough people have pointed out why, so I'm not going to repeat.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

anyone disagreeing with him is hysterical

anyone agreeing is rational

simple as that
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

S-H wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:18 pm Pining for Moyes and now Big Sam..

Come on!? It's garbage at present, but it ain't that ****ing bad!
Take the names away of them two, would we be higher in the league? I think we defintley would under Sam, Moyes potentially.
smuts

Post by smuts »

pezza20 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:05 pm Issue with Moyes is a lot of the players didn't like his training methods ... he had too many coaches doing different things and nobody binding it all together.

His results were also sometimes awful, Everton away springs to mind.
Love to see what we're doing at training now.... :D

To make it clear I'm not pining for Moyes, I just felt he did a decent job under difficult circumstances and although I was dead against his appointment I thought he did a pretty good job in sorting out the mess we had ended up in.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Kialos wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:19 pm I was being kind referring you to a troll. The alternative wasn't as polite. I doubt many people would find the comment "Stop trolling, it's boring" hysterical either.

You said " I don't think West Ham getting beat at Everton is a really disappointing result in perspective."

This is as far away from reality as you can get. Enough people have pointed out why, so I'm not going to repeat.
Go on then, call me whatever name you had in mind, it'll be fun.

Personally, I'll take a long term view. That's what 'in perspective' means. If someone had said before the season started that they absolutely expected to rock up to Goodison and walk away with the points....

Pelligrini is trying to build a team that plays the way he likes them to, that has proven to be successful many times before. That's his job. Long term view.

Alternatively, you can chop him out now if you like. Then when the next manager has a few dodgy games, chop him out too. Then the next, and the next. And we'll always be hovering around mid table, at best.

I'm not getting carried away with the whole "I want what I want and I want it now" foot stamping. Call it trolling because I don't agree with you, if you like, but I'd call it pragmatic.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

pezza20 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:05 pm Issue with Moyes is a lot of the players didn't like his training methods

good
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:21 pm anyone disagreeing with him is hysterical
Not at all, I'm used to people disagreeing with me. I'm married.

I do get a little irked, though, when people accuse me of trolling when I'm presenting an alternative opinion in a fairly rational way.