Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by bonzosbeard »

Ozza wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:29 pm It’s because a load on here got giddy thinking we could be 6th this year when the reality was always that this squad need more major restoration doing to it
Yes how dare we think we can compete with Bournemouth, Burnley Palace and Leicester.... We should know our place
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I certainly didn't expect 6th or that but if we win't aiming to finish 1st what's the point ? I'm not saying it's realistic but I want a manager who thinks that way.

it isn't a mountain out of a molehill

I think his working could have been a lot more positive. not "top half" be a little more specific in that maybe "we can still make a very good run at the top 6. there are 81 points (if I did my math correctly) left to play for."

(that's a potential target of 94 points - which of course I know would mean a ridiculous 100% record)."

just a piss poor "we are aiming for a top half finish" doesn't gee the players up at all or inspire me much either

imvho.

had a great friend who we worked with. his German bosses said "what percentage of the market do you want ?"

all of it

that's not realistic is it ?

his reply was "you didn't ask me to be realistic you said what do I want. I want to put all of my competitors out of business. if I settle for anything less than 100%, when we reach a target that I set below that, my workers will stop when they get there"

there ain't anything wrong in my mind in being ambitious

after all he keeps telling us we need a big club mentality, but he isn't exhibiting big club ambitions
3hammers
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by 3hammers »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 pm just a piss poor "we are aiming for a top half finish" doesn't gee the players up at all or inspire me much either
He didn't say that though did he? He said "I always try to be optimistic, put my target as high as I can. West Ham must fight to be in the upper part of the table"

"Upper part" to me is top end, not just top half
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

upper part is anywhere from 1st to 10th.

lower part from 11th to 20th.

I think he should show more ambition - we were upper part last season.

maybe semantics but that's just me.

each to our own..
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:21 pm upper part is anywhere from 1st to 10th.

lower part from 11th to 20th.

I think he should show more ambition - we were upper part last season.

maybe semantics but that's just me.

each to our own..
I think he is being optimistic - the way we’ve been playing lower half looks more likely!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I don't disagree and I would hate him to say "well it looks like this season's in the shitter.....we'll do what we can to survive."

but I wasn't the one who coined the phrase Big Club Mentality.....he did...and as such, he needs to throw down a marker to the team publicly and tell all and sundry that this is unacceptable and that they are going to right the ship through hard work and damn well aim for a 7th place spot.

if they fall short, they do. but to me this is mildly like someone saying, okay, mediocrity is good enough.

saying that he didn't know why we are so shytty...well come up with some kind of "we're going to look at everything from the training to the fitness to formations etc and keep going until we put it right.. Bill O'Brien from the Texans comes out after a not convincing win or crappy performance. "we have to execute better, we have to be more focused, us coaches have to coach better. I have to call better plays and when I do the players have to execute better."

something. blame everyone including yourself even while still searching for answers. don't tell everyone who is listening that you don't know. tell them you do and you're going to bloody well fix it.

even if your DON'T know.......

do a bloody Fergie..sometimes you have to change just for change's sake....................
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:39 am I don't disagree and I would hate him to say "well it looks like this season's in the shitter.....we'll do what we can to survive."

but I wasn't the one who coined the phrase Big Club Mentality.....he did...and as such, he needs to throw down a marker to the team publicly and tell all and sundry that this is unacceptable and that they are going to right the ship through hard work and damn well aim for a 7th place spot.

if they fall short, they do. but to me this is mildly like someone saying, okay, mediocrity is good enough.

saying that he didn't know why we are so shytty...well come up with some kind of "we're going to look at everything from the training to the fitness to formations etc and keep going until we put it right.. Bill O'Brien from the Texans comes out after a not convincing win or crappy performance. "we have to execute better, we have to be more focused, us coaches have to coach better. I have to call better plays and when I do the players have to execute better."

something. blame everyone including yourself even while still searching for answers. don't tell everyone who is listening that you don't know. tell them you do and you're going to bloody well fix it.

even if your DON'T know.......

do a bloody Fergie..sometimes you have to change just for change's sake....................
An interesting contrarian strategy would be to blame the few players who are performing for “not doing enough.” Tell them they’re responsible for “inspiring” the other players through example, and if they cannot muster up an extra ten percent then they shall have to train with the youth team for a week.

The other players, stunned by your high standards, then start delivering top performances that lead to a league challenge...
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Looking at what he said...

Looking to be optimistic

Target as high as possible

We must fight to be in the upper half

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, the final part feels like a carefully worded warning to the players, and anyone that thinks that's the only thing he's had to say to the players on this subject is off their meds.

Analyse and twist it how you want but there's nothing wrong with what he's said.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If reports in the press are true, he's lost the dressing room, there is no way out of that for him, except through the door
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

The issue isn’t Pellegrini. The issue is Sullivan, Gold and Brady.

Pellers is doing his best with what he has available, but if we can all tell we need two new full backs, a centre back and a box-to-box midfielder to challenge for Europe, you can bet your house that Pellers does as well.

But once again, our manager has his hands tied by the board. Our net spend is a ****ing joke considering all of the lies they’ve told us and they’re getting off fair too lightly.

Yes Pellers isn’t perfect. Yes he makes mistakes. And yeah, maybe he should have bought a box-to-box midfielder instead of Fornals, but Lanzini was just coming back from a long injury, and Whilshire is as unreliable as ever, so maybe Pellers looked at us last year and thought we needed an extra attacking option instead of a box-to-box midfielder.

But either-way, he shouldn’t have had to choose. With the that money the club makes and the promises of the OS taking us to the next level, he should had both options available to him.

But instead Sullivan is playing his little games, distracting everyone whilst we blame the only people at the club who are actually trying to make us better, whilst these charlatans get off scott-free.

I just wish you all spent as much time criticising the board as you do our manager and players. Because none of them have even come remotely close to ****ing this club as hard as these clowns have.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:06 am If reports in the press are true, he's lost the dressing room, there is no way out of that for him, except through the door
Can you point me in the direction of these reports?

All I've seen is some clickbait site Quoting Ex and a bunch of morons on twitter jumping to conclusions. - I wouldn't call that a news report tbh.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

He and the players are clearly underperforming but the definition of madness is continually trying the same thing and expecting a different result.

New manager. One decent window. Cut spending. Undermine.

Rinse and repeat.

His higher salary is nothing more than a defensive shield for the board imo. In the grand scheme of things paying £3m more for a manager than standard has enabled them to spend £20m less than the clubs revenue permits and cutting wages - likely by an eight figure number - to bottom half league levels.

I’m still not convinced that he has as much influence behind the scenes as some suggest. The extension of both left backs (conveniently past the LLDC clause date) despite continually being linked with (and having scouts watching) left backs since Pellegrini arrived feels odd.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

simonirons wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 am Can you point me in the direction of these reports?

All I've seen is some clickbait site Quoting Ex and a bunch of morons on twitter jumping to conclusions. - I wouldn't call that a news report tbh.

'Cockney Hammers' Friday gossip column up the page a bit
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i dont think he has 'lost' the dressing room , but i can understand fredericks being unhappy , especially after last saturday , its not as if it was a surprise that zabaleta got roasted time and time again . our team issues are the same issues that were there before lb cm etc .

with Noble also being targeted both on/off the pitch , we dont seem to have any leaders
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

can understand fredericks being upset however he has been poor for us and should knuckle down and take chance when he gets it, hopefully tomorrow.
if he doesn't play tomorrow after last week then pelle has lost it !

we have no leaders noble is compromised by his poor performances so cant say much to the other lazy sods !

pelle aiming for upper part of the league. we left the BG for that ? west ham have always aimed for top half finishes and sometimes failed. so what has changed. we have a team with no fight no pace no tactics and no plan B. we have a manager who looks confused and senile .

needs to change to 3 at the back . moyes and bilic released that when we were getting smashed. only way to tighten us up.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:06 am If reports in the press are true, he's lost the dressing room, there is no way out of that for him, except through the door
You utter peanut... It says there was a heated conversation after the Newcastle game (and bloody rightly so) and that

"...some supporters claiming that the former Manchester City manager has completely lost the changing room."

There's absolutely nothing to back this up, nothing. You're quoting an article that is using twonks like yourself as a source... God help us! :lol: :oops:
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I'm not a fan of Sulli ,but, It was Pellegrini who thought it was a good idea to spend all the available budget(before player sales) on a player that was not needed, immaterial of whether he is any good,imo.
It's Pellegrini who takes the majority of "poor performances" out on the defence, despite it being plainly obvious that a "dynamic partner" for Rice was needed to win the CMF battle - We desperately needed an "upgrade" on Obiang to compete/cover/share the load that is dumped on Noble - We got no one, just winged it with five attack minded players with so much creativity non of their team mates can read what they're going to do next!
A twenty five million budget was utterly contemptible from an owner who values the business at six hundred million with barely any fixed assets, but the buck stops with Pellegrini for A) Creating an unbalanced squad.B)Ignoring the concept of pace. C) Not trying to alter formations or tactics to overcome it,other than swapping out FBs and CBs ever five minutes.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

have we ever had a ' balanced squad ' ? ever since GSB rolled up and Golds now infamous unbalanced squad ramblings 9 years ago , has anything changed ?
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Ashbanki

Made the point previously - do we know that Pellegrini wasn’t expecting to bring in another midfielder? Fornals was early on in the window. At the time we were rumoured to be spending far less on our main striker, getting far more for our sales (£10m Hugill anyone...joke), not to mention that both Ex and our friends at ‘&’ we’re reporting that Pellegrini was hoping to convince Sulli to pass on some of the wage savings to a higher transfer budget. There was uncertainty about fitness of Lanzini, Wilshere and Yarmolenko so he may have felt he needed both.

If we’d have bought in a dynamic midfielder as well as Fornals I suspect there would be a lot less criticism. I’m personally not 100% convinced that lies solely at Pellegrini’s door given the track record in the transfer window.

I have no doubt that we needed a dynamic midfielder more than Fornals though. Just maybe it wasn’t seen as an ‘either/or’ decision at the actual time it was made.

The net spend was pathetic given the wages saved. Shiny balance sheet though.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I think the only thing I really want is to feel going into a game that we could take a point off the opposition at least if we play at our best. And I mean that regardless of opposition - even going toe to toe with the likes of Liverpool and Man City, I'd like to feel we could get a point out of the game due to the players we have and how they are playing.

I think this squad is good enough to create that feeling - the players are certainly good enough and we should be able to create that sort of atmosphere. I think the manager is good enough to manage us into that position, too.

It's the feeling we had around us in that first Bilic season - I know we had a player in unbelievable form in Payet, but even when we were without him I felt like we could pick up a point regardless of who we were against. That sort of aura and feeling around the team that anything is possible if we play as well as we can and (occasionally) the ball/luck drops our way.